• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Lanning undercuts ebayer reselling a "free" sketch

79 posts in this topic

Kav's just happy seeing his work out there, but once you reach a certain level of accomplishment, you want to be appreciated for your work, and not just viewed as a cash cow. What you're saying when you sell a sketch is "I don't like you, but I think someone else might." I'm sure the artist would rather hand you $40 than spend an hour putting his heart into a piece you don't give a #### about.

Or it could be saying - I really like this but I need to eat.

Ever read OHenry's The Gift of the Magi.

Who determined it was rude to sell a gift? I wonder if the same people who find this behavior rude would also find it rude to sell a comic for more than they paid for it. Or if they sold a comic they got for free?

Personally I think being judgmental about what someone does with a gift is much higher on the rude scale than someone who decides to sell something they own. [/quote

Exactly.

Imo it is very rude to judge people about what they do with THEIR OWN STUFF.

The seller has a sketch he wan to sell, I would complaint only if he stole it.

If Lanning is upset, he should charge for sketches at cons, and not doing them for free.

Nobody knows the seller situation. Not even Lanning.

He should chill.

........Just checked the auction. Looks like the seller relisted it with proceeds going to charity.

Reading through the thread that seems to've been skipped over.

Anyway, I read it as Andy Lanning turrning something he did at one promotional event into an another self-promotion opportunity and charitable giving.

Smart man.

If the idea behind giving away the sketch was to promote his work, then the seller did him a tremendous favor by trying to resell it.

I never heard of the guy, but now he's the focus of a bleeding cool article and a thread here.

If I was a cynic, I'd wonder if this whole controversy wasn't manufactured.

FWIW, Lanning is one of the architects of the whole rebirth of the cosmic wing of the Marvel Universe, including the current incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy (as in the movie version.) He's not some random dude.

If the idea behind giving away the sketch was to promote his work, then the seller did him a tremendous favor by trying to resell it.

I never heard of the guy, but now he's the focus of a bleeding cool article and a thread here.

FWIW, Lanning is one of the architects of the whole rebirth of the cosmic wing of the Marvel Universe, including the current incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy (as in the movie version.) He's not some random dude.

And that exempts him....how exactly?

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out who he was since shadroch said he'd never heard of him.

I don't know what happened in this particular situation but artists have had these free sketch flippers lie and say all sorts of things. Bring their kids and say the sketch is for the kid, claim they want the sketch for a loved one who is a fan as a present, etc.. whatever it takes to get the sketch for free.

Then flip it.

I think it's the principle of somebody making money off your talent and work with nothing coming back to you.

I think these artists got free sketches themselves when they were fans and have the desire to pay it forward. They also don't want to come off as a by asking their legit hard core, buy everything they do fans to pay for a quick sketch. But they don't really have a way from separating one from another. Used to be they would personalize it by getting the fans name and signing it to them, but even those sketches end up on ebay.

It's best to actually read what you respond to

To me the bold text equated that someone thought he was a nobody and that was a dire mistake. I reacted.

Mmmkay?

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out who he was since shadroch said he'd never heard of him.

Thanks for clarifying, I took in a different context. Which some people need an explanation to it seems

Kav's just happy seeing his work out there, but once you reach a certain level of accomplishment, you want to be appreciated for your work, and not just viewed as a cash cow. What you're saying when you sell a sketch is "I don't like you, but I think someone else might." I'm sure the artist would rather hand you $40 than spend an hour putting his heart into a piece you don't give a #### about.

Or it could be saying - I really like this but I need to eat.

Ever read OHenry's The Gift of the Magi.

No, but if things are that dire, you're not paying $40 to get into a convention, are you? The artist remembers the piece, he remembers the conversation, and he thinks the buyer is a feminine hygiene product. If you feel guilty about reselling something, feel free to share, but this isn't about you.