• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller advice about an eBay buyer payment request

29 posts in this topic

So I sold a book on eBay for a low amount (~$25) and my payment methods listed are paypal only.

The winner is a buyer with 100% feedback and over 3000 transactions and sends me a message that they are having trouble with paypal and to give them my mailing address so they can send payment.

Immediate red flag goes up because I am like why would someone with such high feedback not be able to send $25 via paypal. Besides that the message was in broken english in one sentence. Probably a typo but still it made me hesitate.

I reply politely that my payment terms are paypal only and that I am willing to wait a few days for them to straighten it out or even cancel the sale if they prefer.

They reply later that night that they will throw $5 more if they can send cash.

I feel like I am being paranoid here but I don't like it. I realize my return address is on the package anyway, but still.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate any experienced eBay seller opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

So I sold a book on eBay for a low amount (~$25) and my payment methods listed are paypal only.

The winner is a buyer with 100% feedback and over 3000 transactions and sends me a message that they are having trouble with paypal and to give them my mailing address so they can send payment.

Immediate red flag goes up because I am like why would someone with such high feedback not be able to send $25 via paypal. Besides that the message was in broken english in one sentence. Probably a typo but still it made me hesitate.

I reply politely that my payment terms are paypal only and that I am willing to wait a few days for them to straighten it out or even cancel the sale if they prefer.

I feel like I am being paranoid here but I don't like it. I realize my return address is on the package anyway, but still.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate any experienced eBay seller opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

Hard to get beat if he sends you cash.

I guess so, but the paranoid in me thinks "what if he never sends it then says 'hey where is my book?'". He is a high feedback ebayer with 3000+ transactions and I am just a lowly 89 transactions over ten years.

Well, maybe I am just worrying too much over $25.

Thanks!

It's common courtesy to ask the seller prior to bidding if it's ok to pay with cash/money order -- but for a $25 item (or any dollar amount really), the buyer is the one with no protection, and you're safe as the seller.

I have sold many items where the buyer asked to send a money order/check, with no issues. Some guys have had bad experiences with PayPal or just prefer to do things the old fashioned way.

But to answer your question, I think you're safe -- I'd just try to get him to send a money order instead of cash (so that it doesn't get stolen while in transit).

Thanks!

It's common courtesy to ask the seller prior to bidding if it's ok to pay with cash/money order -- but for a $25 item (or any dollar amount really), the buyer is the one with no protection, and you're safe as the seller.

I have sold many items where the buyer asked to send a money order/check, with no issues. Some guys have had bad experiences with PayPal or just prefer to do things the old fashioned way.

But to answer your question, I think you're safe -- I'd just try to get him to send a money order instead of cash (so that it doesn't get stolen while in transit).

Okay, thanks everyone. Sounds like it is fairly common. I appreciate the feedback.

I'd tell him to send ya the $30 and wait a week. If nothing, file the claim and cancel the sale.

Pretty simple.

Just take the $25 he owes in cash

money orders are a pain if you do not go to the bank very often and they can be forged.

That's why you require a US postal money order and cash out at the post office before you send the package. That's old school eBay style.

I'd tell him to send ya the $30 and wait a week. If nothing, file the claim and cancel the sale.

Pretty simple.

money orders are a pain if you do not go to the bank very often and they can be forged.

That's why you require a US postal money order and cash out at the post office before you send the package. That's old school eBay style.

I started ebay in the spring of '98. Cash wrapped in tinfoil was the most common form of payment. I agree with taking the cash.

PO MO's were also very common, but more of a hassle.

I guess so, but the paranoid in me thinks "what if he never sends it then says 'hey where is my book?'". He is a high feedback ebayer with 3000+ transactions and I am just a lowly 89 transactions over ten years.

Well, maybe I am just worrying too much over $25.

If you don't mark it as "payment received," can he still do that? I'd take the cash, send the book, wait until his feedback says he got the book, then mark payment received.

-slym

Pretty simple.

Have you been in a post office recently? :baiting:

It is far more of a pain than a bank. Not to mention also a pain for the buyer.