• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus the Aardvark #1

34 posts in this topic

GSXMen 1 far more in demand, and far more available.

Cerebus 1 far less demand, far more scarce in grade.

If you woke up today wanting a 9.2 or 9.4 gSXMen you would probably already have bought one. But starting today you'd be waiting months for a Cerebus in those grades to appear for sale.

Yeah, we need the cliff notes or "120+ pages for dummies" summed up for us dummies.

Cliff notes many people think Cerebus 1 in 9.2 is more valuable than hulk 181 in 9.2. Some disagree.

Cliff's Notes: "Many people" being about 3 or 4. And with no actual publicly available sales data to support or back up their opinion. lol

-J.

Offer to sell me a Cerebus #1 in CGC 9.2. I guarantee I'll gladly pay more than what a Hulk 181 goes for in 9.2. Hulk 181 is an overrated book running high on the popularity of Wolverine. There are a ton out there graded and ungraded. There is nothing special about that book. It isn't rare at all. Once comic collecting cools off it is going to undergo a price correction.

I understand that true rarity sometimes matters very little to speculators, but to collectors a hard to find key in high grade is sought after.

I've been eyeing a Cerebus 1 for maybe 2 years... Mostly 6.5s 7.0s for sale if any... If I where faced with the opportunity to pop at a nice one... I'd go for it in a heartbeat... I'm getting the feeling it's pretty much established that a grade of 8.0 will fetch a thousand... 8.5 in the 1500s 9.0 and up pretty much the skies the limit... Wish Maxx Aschans where as valuable in the 7.5s... But it appears people are willing to pay the price for what's available as far as Cerebus is concerned and know that grades of 8.0 above fetch a premium... The book has enough background and history I think to appeal to collectors keeping the price up there for the long term... As far as Hulk 181 is concerned I think once you realize you can get a hold of multiple copies... It loses its appeal... I've had 5 in the past year or so... I'm happy with the 9.0 I have... Sold the rest... It has flip value though I'll pick one up if it comes up for sale... Cerebus is a hard one to mark of your checklist in a desirable grade... Mostly because a lot of people want it as well... 18 graded copies in 9.0 or above... and of those copies probably all of them are hardcore Aardvark fans... probably have to wait years in between to pry one out of their hands...

I forget exactly, but the first few were 2000 copies. With #2 having 2400 as I wrote earlier. I think it stayed at 2000 then moved up to 4000 maybe around issue 20 or so. 21 is considered scarce, but I forget why.

At some point it jumped much higher as it became a very hot book during High Society. But after a while when it became clear that Dave was interested mainly in telling his long story, and not just doing Wolverroach crossovers, it settled back down ... Maybe 10000 to 30000 copies a month.

It's just the first 21 that are more difficult to find. But even here, many copes were bought and saved in HG so they are available out there... Raw and slabbed. eBay is littered with large lots of many later issues that sell for very little... With most not selling at all.

But it was a wild ride for 300 issues! It felt leisurely in the middle, infuriating when Dave shows up and hates women, and felt rushed at the end, like he had mistimed the story pacing given that he planned from day one to do exactly 300 issues. I wish he'd decide to do more... But it's clear he's a stubborn dude and has moved on with his life.

I forget exactly, but the first few were 2000 copies. With #2 having 2400 as I wrote earlier. I think it stayed at 2000 then moved up to 4000 maybe around issue 20 or so. 21 is considered scarce, but I forget why.

At some point it jumped much higher as it became a very hot book during High Society. But after a while when it became clear that Dave was interested mainly in telling his long story, and not just doing Wolverroach crossovers, it settled back down ... Maybe 10000 to 30000 copies a month.

It's just the first 21 that are more difficult to find. But even here, many copes were bought and saved in HG so they are available out there... Raw and slabbed. eBay is littered with large lots of many later issues that sell for very little... With most not selling at all.

But it was a wild ride for 300 issues! It felt leisurely in the middle, infuriating when Dave shows up and hates women, and felt rushed at the end, like he had mistimed the story pacing given that he planned from day one to do exactly 300 issues. I wish he'd decide to do more... But it's clear he's a stubborn dude and has moved on with his life.

#21 had a printer issue that Deni explained in #22, or something. Something to do with maybe the Canadian postal strike as well. It also has a Barry Smith letter in it. I am fairly certain the order for #21 was back down to 2,000, maybe a miscommunication.

All the books from #21 and below are "more valuable", as is #31. #51 used to have value, as the only one "not reprinted", but those days are over (it has since been reprinted.) #53-56 are the aforementioned Wolveroach issues. #161 has a Bone preview, and #186 has a SIP preview...#147 has a Neil Gaiman story that was popular for quite some time. #61 and #62 have a Flaming Carrot appearance.

That's pretty much it, as far as anything of note goes in terms of "value."

The whole series is very, very good.

#21 had a printer issue that Deni explained in #22, or something. Something to do with maybe the Canadian postal strike as well. It also has a Barry Smith letter in it. I am fairly certain the order for #21 was back down to 2,000, maybe a miscommunication.

All the books from #21 and below are "more valuable", as is #31. #51 used to have value, as the only one "not reprinted", but those days are over (it has since been reprinted.) #53-56 are the aforementioned Wolveroach issues. #161 has a Bone preview, and #186 has a SIP preview...#147 has a Neil Gaiman story that was popular for quite some time. #61 and #62 have a Flaming Carrot appearance.

That's pretty much it, as far as anything of note goes in terms of "value."

The whole series is very, very good.

Thanx,, memories fading... As a point of reference, I read issue 32, the one where Jaka gives Cerebus his sword back?, and liked it so much I bought the issues around it the next day. Then ordered from Harry Kremer, Sims partner on issue 1, who had access to nearly all the early issues still in stock ( his store was in. Kitchener) Finally sought out the distributor, forget who, and bought a bunch of his back issue stock back to issues 16 at half off. I had 100s of copies between 23 thru 30.

Cerebus was a hot hot book there for a few years. The King of all the b/w independent comics that were flooding the stores.

#1s were selling for up to $1000. And these copies were today between 7.0 and 8.5 with multiple spine cracks.. Never saw a copy without any spine cracks until Sims' signed "Gaines" copies were released. He put aside probably ALL of them!

I think AF15 was a grand in Guide back then, but a nice copy cost a few thou more back then.