• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PREDICT THE GRADE: GS DRACULA 5

18 posts in this topic

I should have this book back from CGC in about a month. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifProvided Byrne didn't crumple it or anything when he signed the interior, what do you think it will grade at? confused-smiley-013.gif

Select a thumbnail from the left to zoom.
1GSDRACULABC.jpg[/b]
Image #1

1GSDRACULAFC.jpg[/b]
Image #2

1GSDRACULABC.jpg
Image hosting and Zoom Gallery by VillagePhotos.com

There is absolutley no doubt in my mind this will at least get a 9.2. That's what I'm going to predict.

Not because of what I see....but because of what I don't see.

Nice copy Beyonder. One I'd be proud to own.

and, oh yes..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif on a 9.4. Certainly not out of the question.

Very nice copy. 9.4

The oversized scan over emphasizes the few defects beyond what is fair in grading (upper right corner color breaks and bottom left corner rounding on the front cover) (nothing significant of note on the back cover) A little miswrapped and a little spine rub on the back for 30 years of storage, but overall a beautiful copy.

I'd say 9.2 for the supersized issue scan, but more likely a 9.4 based on actual size.

You should be pleased.

Yeah, nice book...i was gonna call a 9.4 as i scrolled down the thread not realizing you posted the grade...honest....I think if not for the one corner, you'da had a 9.6.

Congrats!

Younder.. Very nice book.

Wanted to ask a few questions as I too have a hard time with SB books.

In person does the glued spine look as wavy,lumpy, or uneven as it appears in the scan?

I still am not sure if this is considered just fugly, or a actual flaw.

Almost all of my Giants exhibit this trait.

But I do own a few.. (and excuse the hammeresque phrase). But they do look as if they were cut from a block of wood. Sharp tight spine. And really straight..no waviness to the spine at all.

If this Drac 9.4 book you showed us had a tighter spine, do you think it would have gone 9.6?

Does that make sense?

I am just trying to determine how much of a downgrade to give SB books with a wavy glued spine..even if the spine itself is without physical flaws/defects.

Ze-

Younder.. Very nice book.

Wanted to ask a few questions as I too have a hard time with SB books.

In person does the glued spine look as wavy,lumpy, or uneven as it appears in the scan?

I still am not sure if this is considered just fugly, or a actual flaw.

Almost all of my Giants exhibit this trait.

But I do own a few.. (and excuse the hammeresque phrase). But they do look as if they were cut from a block of wood. Sharp tight spine. And really straight..no waviness to the spine at all.

If this Drac 9.4 book you showed us had a tighter spine, do you think it would have gone 9.6?

Does that make sense?

I am just trying to determine how much of a downgrade to give SB books with a wavy glued spine..even if the spine itself is without physical flaws/defects.

Ze-

That's the problem I have in grading SB books. I assumed that the waviness would drop the grade, but I think CGC considers it a production defect, and therefore doesn't downgrade for it.

Books that look like they " were cut from a block of wood" should grade higher....but I'm not sure if it's factored in. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think that this book had a chance at a 9.6 without the corner/edge wear. I've owned a few SB 9.4's with the same flaw, but have noticed that waviness on otherwise nice 9.6's...hard to tell how severe it is in the scan though.