• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice on two pieces I own.

10 posts in this topic

I was going through my collection last month and found two color guides I bought like 8 years ago. One is from the Dark Knight Returns and one is X-men 268. I had no idea what they are worth so I submitted them to ComicLink. I figured I would they could give me a ballpark of what they are worth and i could sell them and use the money to get some other pieces i have been eying. A rep got in touch with me right away to ask if these were single sheets or 4 color sheets. I told him they were single and i never heard from them again.

Here is my questions

- is single sheet bad? I really don't know anything about this.

- what are your opinion on a ballpark they are worth. I would rather trade or sell them to get something else I want.

Here are the pics with a backing board behind them

Dark_Knight_Returns_zps82dd48be.jpg

uncanny_Xmen_268_zps7e165553.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

These don't appear to be actual art that was used in the production process. The Dark Knight issues were painted by Lynn Varley as bluelines. If this were one of those, you would see actual paint on the board and then a B&W acetate overlay on top. The lettering would be included and you wouldn't see any registration marks at the bottom. It would be larger than the printed comic book, but smaller than the original B&W art pages.

The original coloring for X-Men #268 would likely have been done as a color guide. The colorist would have colored using Dr. Martin's dyes over a photocopy of the B&W art. The art would be approx. the same size as the printed comic and you would again see the lettering.

Not sure exactly what these are... could have been created to pass off as original "production art" or could have been used in the production of some reprints of the books. But, they have limited value. The original blue lines/color guides would likely run a couple hundred for the DK and $25-50 for the X-Men #268. These are worth far less than that.

Thank you for the help. I got them off ebay back then and were worried they were fakes. These are both a single sheet of acetate. I just put the board behind them so they would scan. I just checked and it appears the images are printed on the acetate. Definitely not painted.

I have never seen anything comic related painted onto acetate, nor have I seen colour printed onto acetate like that before... guess if the lettering was changed that kinda makes sense but it wasn't.

did you buy them from "leadpink"?

I don't remember the seller sorry. I remember he had a bunch of them.

Looks like they are production "art" that came back from the printer. Part of the production process, but nothing original on them. They were likely generated for use by foreign countries so they can put their native language in the dialogue balloons.

That is probably what they are. They were a complete impulse buy back then :)

Thank you everyone for the responses. I just wanted to make sure I didn't misrepresent them if I ever did sell them.