• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This must be the nicest 7.5 on the planet......

73 posts in this topic

I bought this book because it looked nice and I needed a copy, but the scan was small, and I had no idea how nice it really was until I got it. I've been looking at this book up close and personal for the last 3 days, and I cannot figure out why it's a 7.5. I'm sure there are some hidden defects somewhere, but it sure as heck dosen't bother me. I may have to start looking at more of these "lower" grade books, because when a 7.5 presents better than some 8.5's and even 9.0's I've seen, it really makes me wonder whether or not the extra $$$ I'm shelling out for higher grades is really worth it. I thought I'd share, as it's something to think about.

ASM13.jpg

I bought this book because it looked nice and I needed a copy, but the scan was small, and I had no idea how nice it really was until I got it. I've been looking at this book up close and personal for the last 3 days, and I cannot figure out why it's a 7.5. I'm sure there are some hidden defects somewhere, but it sure as heck dosen't bother me. I may have to start looking at more of these "lower" grade books, because when a 7.5 presents better than some 8.5's and even 9.0's I've seen, it really makes me wonder whether or not the extra $$$ I'm shelling out for higher grades is really worth it. I thought I'd share, as it's something to think about.

DAMN, that is nicer than Murph's 9.2 by a longshot. Do you have a scan of the back cover?

My experience is that when there's a book that looks that good, there is either humidity/water damage and/or a stain that cannot be seen through the slab. You should call and get the graders notes -- and then don't forget to let us know what is up with that book. hail.gif

Back cover:

ASM13bc.jpg

Whatever the defect(s), this book was quite a find. yay.gif

Niiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzze!

Q: Is that a 3/8" tear to the REFC about 2/3rds the way down?

The only other thing I see in the scans is the micro chip to the LRFC.

Perhaps someone has written some creative art work in the interior somewhere? Was there even a Mighty Marvel Checklist then? I've had a few books where these were agressively completed in ink. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Congratulations on the nice book. Every once in a while it's nice to luck out.

I agree with earlier posts that it may be an interior defect like a small tear on an interior page. A coupon cut out would land it a qualified grade.

Joe

I really am not trying to be a smart alec..

But is there a staple pull.. or missing staple on the bottom of the book?

Hard to see from the scan for sure.. and if so.. as with my TEC #395 it might have been downgraded for that flaw to a 7.5 ?

Either way.. really nice looking ASM.

Ze-

For a second, I thought you were onto something.......but I checked the book and the bottom staple is secure.

For a second, I thought you were onto something.......but I checked the book and the bottom staple is secure.

The area in the lower right front cover - next to the panel with spiderman's head - to my display there is some browning going on there. Is it an illusion or bad display?

I posted CGC's number - just ca;; 'em and we can put the whole thing to rest! smile.gif

Yep, I'm thinking it's some sort of interior flaw. I guess I'll call for the grader's notes sometime this week, although it kind of ruins the fun of thinking I got a VF/NM book for less than the 7.5 guide price. tongue.gif

Yep, I'm thinking it's some sort of interior flaw. I guess I'll call for the grader's notes sometime this week, although it kind of ruins the fun of thinking I got a VF/NM book for less than the 7.5 guide price. tongue.gif

I think we need a "ballon pop" emoticon here! grin.gif

The bottom portion of the cover is much whiter in person. I can kind of see what you're seeing, but it isn't really evident when the book is in hand.

It does look super sharp. Obviously, the graders notes will give a much better clue why the book is only an 7.5. My guess is there are some long non-color breaking creases that are IMPOSSIBLE to see in a scan (especially so dark). Try to view the book at various angles in bright light and see if you see something.

Also look at the side of the spine and see if there is any type of split.

Either case, the book has the EYE APPEAL of a much nicer book. thumbsup2.gif

Either case, the book has the EYE APPEAL of a much nicer book. thumbsup2.gif

That's the bottom line for me. Obviously there's SOMETHING wrong with it, but I just haven't been able to spot the defects that would justify a 7.5. And even if I found it, it wouldn't make much difference. If I could find enough early SA 7.0's - 8.0's with hidden defects that look like this, I would give up on 9.0+ books entirely.