• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which shows have the best high grade books?

10 posts in this topic

Can I expect to find any high grade silver books at the Big Apple show next weekend?

Seems like you are very excited to get back into Comic Collecting (which is great).

Quick words of advice from someone who did the same thing around 2 years ago.

1) Get as many of your nicest books graded (which I know you are doing). This will give you better ideas on how CGC grades books, so you can make better decisions when buying unslabbed books.

2) While conventions can be good places to buy books, check out as many of the main dealers / consignment sites as possible first as that will give you some idea of market value (and what is readily and not so readily available). Great sites are ComicLink, Pedigreecomics, Highgradecomics, Metropoliscomics, Heritagecomics, etc.

3) I wouldn't expect to find too many Silver-Age bargains at shows (CGC'd or not). In general, nice HG SA books are searched out by dealers prior to the show. Your better bet is finding a few Bronze-Age gems piled in with lots of other books (that are overlooked).

4) Try to come up with some collecting goals. You can always change them, but it does make the process of determining how to spend your dollars a little easier.

Good Luck and feel free to ask lots of questions on this board.

grin.gif

3) I wouldn't expect to find too many Silver-Age bargains at shows (CGC'd or not). In general, nice HG SA books are searched out by dealers prior to the show. Your better bet is finding a few Bronze-Age gems piled in with lots of other books (that are overlooked).

Yup, many of the best deals are made before the show opens. hence why I try to get myself in beforehand.