• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthEast Comic Con - Boston, DEC 6-7

18 posts in this topic

Apparently there's a show called NorthEast ComicCon taking place this weekend just outside of Boston? I tried to find info here on the forums about it but had no luck.

Anyone know anything about this show? I've never heard of it before, nor have I heard of pretty much any of the guests in attendance except for Mark McKenna. I'm not even very familiar with the line-up of "celebrity" guests either.

Trying to figure out if this is worth the time.

I believe it's led by an appraiser that's been on Antiques Roadshow a bunch. They ran another show on this past Memorial Day(?). Afterwards they sent out an e-mail how that probably wasn't the best scheduling, presumably because the attendence wasn't that great.

It doesn't look like much as far as comics go. I recognize a few local artists but, no big draws to make me want to take the drive or pay that much for a ticket.

Yup it's run by Gary Sohmers from Antiques Roadshow and he told me three months ago he was going into this blind because he knows next to nothing about comics. But Gary does a decent job of collectibles shows, and I went to his show in the Spring and there were some comics inluding an Amazing Fantasy ungraded looking about F+ for around $9K.

We are going to take a chance on it and head up tomorrow but honestly I'm not expecting a lot. He does have some dealers attending including the guys who run the Boston Comic Con so there is a real chance. Hall of Comics in Southboro is also having a sale and they are just off the pike, we will probably stop by there on our way back.

I picked up a few books from the two dealers I figured would have decent inventory, plus a few things for my son. The other tables were either overgraded or overpriced.

I would hope in the future the promoters can attract more dealers; calling it the Northeast Comic Con and Collectibles Extravaganza is a bit of a misnomer, non-comic dealers outnumbered the funnybooks by at least 3-1 if not more. A lot of the usual local guys who set up were not there.

It was mostly what I expected so I can't complain too much, although I will say that for what you got, $20 for admission was damn steep.

Maybe if i feel ambitious later I'll post some stuff I got. I brought my Dust records thinking maybe I'd get Marc (Ramone) Bell's autograph, but he was charging $40 a pop.

Love those Sub Mariner covers!

The show was kind of surreal, the folks from the Oddities TV show were there and they were very nice.

Off the top of my head I picked up a few nice books;

WOW COMICS 38 VG/F

BOZO (Golden age) VG

DETECTIVE 409 VF/NM

also picked up a golden age TERRY AND THE PIRATES solid VG, and a few others too. Not a bad show. Not what I'd call a comic show but far from a waste of time.

I miss the Boston monthly show at the Radisson, I heard a rumor that Larry's Comics bought the show then never did anything with it other than ruin it for everyone else?

I don't remember it being monthly but it was definitely multiple times a year and always had a ton of cheap bins to dig through. I found out about it back in 1990 when it was advertised in comics as part of the "Great Eastern Conventions" and the hotel was still the 57 Howard Johnson. I'd take the MBTA in from the suburbs and walk over from Back Bay.

I miss the Boston monthly show at the Radisson, I heard a rumor that Larry's Comics bought the show then never did anything with it other than ruin it for everyone else?

I don't remember it being monthly but it was definitely multiple times a year and always had a ton of cheap bins to dig through. I found out about it back in 1990 when it was advertised in comics as part of the "Great Eastern Conventions" and the hotel was still the 57 Howard Johnson. I'd take the MBTA in from the suburbs and walk over from Back Bay.

Somebody needs to do a thorough history of Great Eastern Conventions. I worked for them briefly (writing reviews for their short-lived weekly comic newspaper), and went and worked at many of their shows.

Fred Greenberg went from running local New Jersey shows to having conventions all across the country to collapsing. And I haven't seen nor heard of him since the Javitz debacle.

You can wax nostalgic about that show 10+ years ago - heck I think I set up at the old 'Heinz 57' back in 1992! And even the Dave Cummings incarnation had its high points. But the last few shows before it stopped were just dismal. People getting arrested right on the show floor for selling counterfeit material, minor physical altercations, low attendance....same buyers every show, same dealers every show.

I don't believe the rumor you heard about Larry is true. He may have acquired the mailing list or something but I do not think he ever seriously tried to run that show. It was a losing proposition IMHO. I don't want to speak for him - I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

The voices in your head are misfiring, Larry Harrison from Harrison's bought the show and hasn't done much with it.

The voices in your head are misfiring, Larry Harrison from Harrison's bought the show and hasn't done much with it.

Ok then, Harrison's ruined it for everyone else then.