• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doesn't everything read better in trade?

37 posts in this topic

I think just about everything reads better in trade or reading a lot of issues at once. I guess there are some exceptions. Maybe one and done issues but they don't seem to be as common. What books do you think read better in trade?

Any examples of books where it doesn't matter? If there is another similar thread hook a brother up.

I bought 'em off the rack, so each title got read one issue a month. I learned to love that, with the suspense building for the continued storylines, and the freshness of a new storyline after another was wrapped up. I even have a couple of long boxes of BA books organized by the month, so that I can re-read them like I did originally.

Barring digital, trades are my absolute least favorite way to read comics.

The only books I think read better in trades are books that cost way more than I want to lay out but contain stories that I still want to read. For example, "Avengers VS. Thanos" I didn't want to dump the kind of money into the individual issues I was missing, but I did want to finally get around to reading the entire thing.

I worked really hard at suppressing my instincts while reading that :)

I bought 'em off the rack, so each title got read one issue a month. I learned to love that, with the suspense building for the continued storylines, and the freshness of a new storyline after another was wrapped up. I even have a couple of long boxes of BA books organized by the month, so that I can re-read them like I did originally.

nerd :cloud9:

I loved reading books every month - especially when they were on time. I remember knowing what came out and when, being anticipated to pick up the new X-Men or whatever and give it a read.

Back in the day, I was never a big trade fan unless it was something I couldn't afford to get a run of (which is a lot nowadays). Now, I just try to buy it in digital format.

I like the originals so I can see the dorky ads and read the publisher bulletins and letters' pages.

Yup. Don't like trades myself.

A big part of it for me is my memory isn't the greatest so it's hard to keep track of what's going on month to month even if the books are on time. Especially some of the books where there is so much going on or maybe it's a brand new world with a lot of new characters.

Im a fan of trades, but I've found that Walking dead relies very heavily on the monthly pacing and cliff hangers so when it gets all lumped into a trade (or a HC) it reads very quickly and the scary moments dont have time to percolate between issues...

I like buying Image trades. $9.99 for collected issues 1-5 of most new titles. Easy and economical way to see if I like something. Mind you, I don't buy much modern.

Otherwise, I need the real deal. I want a cover to ogle, newsprint pages to turn and of course, smell.

I honestly loved the lettercols in the older books. In the books older than 1990, I remember sometimes getting three pages of letters from fans! When Sam Kieth started doing this in his Maxx books in the 1990s, I was impressed.

:)

-slym

Nothing beats reading the actual SA book and reading the letters, bullpen bulletins, feeling the newsprint etc.

Im a fan of trades, but I've found that Walking dead relies very heavily on the monthly pacing and cliff hangers so when it gets all lumped into a trade (or a HC) it reads very quickly and the scary moments dont have time to percolate between issues...

hm

As someone who has never picked up a WD single issue but read everything via compendium or trade I always wondered how someone could go month-to-month when I can rip through a TPB in 20 minutes.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

hm

As someone who has never picked up a WD single issue but read everything via compendium or trade I always wondered how someone could go month-to-month when I can rip through a TPB in 20 minutes.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

I find I will read through moderns in 5-6 minutes, so for that reason I'd rather have the trades. As for any cliffhanger element in a story, a one minute pause is enough for me before getting back to the story. For older books I'd rather have individual copies for reasons of the cover, ads, letters, etc., as others have stated.

For moderns its trades all day long

No way I want to wait for each book to come out-I just wait till the trade comes out and read the whole story.