• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic you almost purchased but did not and now have regrets?

63 posts in this topic

The complete Silver Age runs of Fantastic Four and Journey Into Mystery from the Pacific Coast pedigree. :cry:

That is a great pedigree. Every time I tried to get a book from that collection I always encountered fierce bidding wars.

I had a chance to buy them in 1999 from Robert Roter, who got them directly from the original owner and first brought them to market in May and June of that year. Bought a dozen of them, but naively passed on the complete runs. :cry:

About ten years ago, I was in a comic shop (now closed) in Morton Grove, IL. It was an awful shop (Phoenix Comics, I believe).

A woman walks in with a framed page of original art. She talked to the owner who didn't want to buy it -- he didn't even make an offer. Me being nosy, I walked over and saw that it was the cover to Amazing Spider-Man #79. The woman said it was her son's and she also had a Captain America cover.

Now... I can't be sure if it was the actual original art or not. It looked like it was, but it was framed, and I didn't get a great look at it (to see if there were paste-ups and obvious corrections). I just stood there speechless. I had a small stack of comics in my hand, and I watched as the guy just dismissed her and she walked out.

I waited 30 seconds, put my comics down, and ran out the door to look for her so I could offer to buy it from her, but she was gone.