• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic you almost purchased but did not and now have regrets?

63 posts in this topic

Name as many as you want and tell us how much it was priced at the time you decided to let it pass.

For me I remember seen a nice Amazing Fantasy 15 in a CGC 3.0 and it looked very nice for the grade ended up passing on it it was a 3000$ (Canadian) asking price....wish I had it now that is for sure.

I use to own a low grade Amazing Spider-Man #1 non graded looked pretty beat up but had only paid a few hundred dollars for it and sold it fast to finance some school stuff ended up selling for 500$ (Canadian). Now it would be a easy 1500$ to 2000$ (U.S) comic for sure.

A nice looking copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 for $100. Memory is a bit hazy but I recall it as a mid-grade copy. Although I prefer to tell the story as a "near mint copy" lol

Was at my monthly comic book "convention" at the local Holiday Inn with my dad and he usually let me spend $25 per show and no matter how much I begged he wouldn't let me spend the extra $75. I have no idea why. It was 1974 and I was 8 years old at the time. So for all my fellow parents out there today, if your 8 year old told you he/she needed $500 for some bit of collectible nonsense you don't really understand, you'd do it, right?

Uh...I rest my case? Seems like my dad gets smarter and smarter as I get older. :)

In all seriousness? As much as I wish I had the book? We cherish the story more probably after all these years.

There was a baseball card show I would go to as a kid at the local mall. Now, I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but I remember one guy being set up with comics and he had a DD1 for $8. It was fairly low grade, probably a 2.0. This is a memory I've carried with me but am not 100% about the details, I've just always regretted not picking it up, but it was most likely because I couldn't afford it. In fact, I have a hazy feeling that I asked my parents for the money but they said no.

...but had only paid a few hundred dollars for it and sold it fast to finance some school stuff ended up selling for 500$ (Canadian)...

I think this is the key reason no one should beat themselves up about past steals that they missed. Even if you managed to score some ridiculous deal on a GA or SA key twenty years ago, there's a fairly good chance that you (the twenty-years-ago you) would have ended up selling it off prematurely along the way anyway.

:shy:

...but had only paid a few hundred dollars for it and sold it fast to finance some school stuff ended up selling for 500$ (Canadian)...

I think this is the key reason no one should beat themselves up about past steals that they missed. Even if you managed to score some ridiculous deal on a GA or SA key twenty years ago, there's a fairly good chance that you (the twenty-years-ago you) would have ended up selling it off prematurely along the way anyway.

:shy:

The 'cash-strapped student' situation is especially common.

+ 1 for me there. :(

It was probably around 1976 or 1977. I was at a show in NYC and a dealer had a stack of X-Men #94 on his table, all in NM condition, which had a price of $6.00 each. I was going to offer him $50.00 for ten of them but I didn't want to carry them around with me, so, I decided to go back to his table later when I would be leaving the show. I forgot to go back when I left.

haha that's easy. Bob Storms called me some years ago to let me know that he had my grail. 9.2 hulk 1 for 28k. Too many things going on at the time so I had to pass.. :tonofbricks:

:takeit:

Nothing major I can think of. I'm a newer collector though.

I remember seeing a Detective Comics #298 in a bin for $5 or so and I passed on it at the time.

It's more like there were books I could have purchased a year or two ago that aren't worth it now because of the hype. Oh well.

a couple of years ago I passed on the action 1 cgc 9.0 (it was not quite a 9.0 cgc then) for about 1/3 the price it recently auctioned for doh!

I would forgive myself for that one. Could you have pulled off the magic trick that turned it into a 9.0?

a couple of years ago I passed on the action 1 cgc 9.0 (it was not quite a 9.0 cgc then) for about 1/3 the price it recently auctioned for doh!

I would forgive myself for that one. Could you have pulled off the magic trick that turned it into a 9.0?

one will never know

That would give me hearth burn for sure!!! Was it the one that ended up selling for over 3$ million dollars this year or the other one that sold in the 2$ million dollar range?

The 3.3 mil copy... But it wasnt a 9.0 when I was offered.

That would give me hearth burn for sure!!! Was it the one that ended up selling for over 3$ million dollars this year or the other one that sold in the 2$ million dollar range?

The 3.3 mil copy... But it wasnt a 9.0 when I was offered.

Is this implying what I think it's implying? hm