• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1973 Comic-Con Pics

43 posts in this topic

So I wonder if the Jay Knowles (from Austin) in those pics has any relation to Harry Knowles (also from Austin, and I've seen quite a few times!)) from Ain't it Cool News.

I know Harry's middle name is Jay so there might be a connection.

So I wonder if the Jay Knowles (from Austin) in those pics has any relation to Harry Knowles (also from Austin, and I've seen quite a few times!)) from Ain't it Cool News.

I know Harry's middle name is Jay so there might be a connection.

If you read the comments section on those pictures, you'll see that Jay Knowles said, " The Knowles’ (Jay, Helen & son Harry) were dealers at SD Con throughout the 70′s..."

EDIT: And the link for the comment from "J. Jay Knowles" takes you to aintitcool.com.

Look at all those high grade EC's sitting there! They were probably selling for less than a dollar a piece at that time!

I'm willing to bet those Conan's and the pre-code were the same price...

maybe, that looks like Conan 2's did... when did Conan start to real heat up was his strong out of the gate???

hm

As I remember it, Conan 2 was a strong seller. I think a lot of people bought multiple #1s so #2 was a bit harder to come by. I didn't like Sword and sorcery comics so I didn't pick up my first Conan until #37. I read a few before that but didn't like them.

ECs were hot in the early 1970s. The ones in the picture might be the first reprint series that Russ Cochran did.Flashback books by the CBG people were hot then too.

Few people could afford to lay out $100 for a Worlds Fair comics book, but $1.50 for a reprint was doable.

Where's the cosplayers?

:signfunny:

Cosplay took off in 1977 with the Wizard and Red Sonja show. While there were always a few people showing up in costumes and even "contests" - Artist Frank Thorne with then fan (later Elf Quest Artist)Windy Pini and New Jersey actress Linda Berhle put the popular into cosplay. They put on an actual show and every comiccon wanted them. As time went on, their performances - became more involved and they even added additional characters like Mikal the Wanderer.

Not to leave anyone out, a number of talented individuals donned the (bikini) chain mail and sword of Sonja. The very first was most likely Angelique Toruvere - a night club dancer that was the model for most of the "photograph" Vampirella covers from the Warren years. Others I could find mention of include Dianne Dekalb who often wore a more traditional (as described by Robert E. Howard) Sonja attire and Wendy Snow, a Fantasy artist from Boston that was banned from wearing her costume at the 1977 Boston Globe book show because it showed a bit too much skin.

Here's a poster I got (I think) in 1977

WizardandRedSonja_zps167835ee.jpg

Very cool poster!

I'm actually familiar with some of the early cosplay playas, I was asking the question in jest to the recent uproar over cosplay taking money away from artists and retailers in today's comic con marketplace.

But hey, that's is a very cool poster and one I had not seen before!

Look at all those high grade EC's sitting there! They were probably selling for less than a dollar a piece at that time!

1973-Env-B11.jpg

ECs were hot in the early 1970s. The ones in the picture might be the first reprint series that Russ Cochran did.

It's likely these are 70s EC Classics reprint comics, because that's the Jack Davis werewolf cover to Crypt of Terror 1 from the series, and next to it is an issue of Weird Science which was also reprinted in that run. The original 50s Crypt of Terror comics had Johnny Craig covers.

It's likely these are 70s EC Classics reprint comics, because that's the Jack Davis werewolf cover to Crypt of Terror 1 from the series, and next to it is an issue of Weird Science which was also reprinted in that run. The original 50s Crypt of Terror comics had Johnny Craig covers.

Also, to the left isn't that a white envelope of Haunt of Fear covers Russ Cochran sold around the same time as his sweet boxed-set hardcover collections? At one time I had several packets of different EC titles, very cool cover sets on heavy stock. :cloud9:

1973-Env-B11.jpg

ECs were hot in the early 1970s. The ones in the picture might be the first reprint series that Russ Cochran did.

Definitely the East Coast reprints. The "werewolf" cover was used originally on Tales From the Crypt #46.

Russ titled it "Crypt of Terror" as that was going to be E.C.'s fifth horror title until "other forces" came to bear.

In July 1971, Barks was granted a royalty-free license to paint Disney characters. The owner of my LCS purchased a Barks painting from Barks for $200.

Russ Cochran and Bruce Hamilton suggested that Barks auction off the paintings instead of taking commissions.

After a fan sold unlicensed copies of Barks paintings, Disney pulled the license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Barks

Since the con took place in 1973, the paintings are likely originals.

The owner of my LCS purchased a Barks painting from Barks for $200. :o

At that price, I wouldn't be surprised.

The owner of my LCS purchased a Barks painting from Barks for $200. :o

At that price, I wouldn't be surprised.

$200 was a small fortune 41 years ago. You could purchase a used car for $200. $200 was the tuition for one quarter at UC Berkeley in 1973, plus $12.50 for student fees (student union, health care).

Let me say this...about the good old days...this was the fan base that created what we have today..I know most of you take fandom for granted but every person that you see at this SDCC contributed to that great adventure which fandom has become.

The barks were original, as well if I recall Carl was there himself at one point or it might have been next year. I remember the guy who was selling CB repo's at a later SDCC and I said how can you do this and boom, Disney should him down at his peak, in my opinion.

A lot of people have stuck with fandom..especially here in san diego. God bless everybody who is still here, and for the ones who are no longer, thank you for making the "dream" come true.