• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is pressing comics a common practice nowadays?

67 posts in this topic

That looks more like SCS (shaken comic syndrome).

I agree. In this case it looks like the book is very loose in the inner well. Sometimes the cover will 'stick' while the rest of the book shifts. The top staple, at this point, is still secure but you can see it's under stress from the pull = there is potential for more damage. In any case, I would not recommend buying this book.

Here are the links to two examples. One slabbed the other raw.

Slabbed

Raw

While some damage is likely from the static many of these books have similar issues before encapsulation.

The slabbed example has a wedge to prevent the book from shifting. I like the application of the wedge, it should be used more often. In the 'old days' CGC would not encapsulate a book with an overhang like this, fearing damage. I don't think that's true anymore.

Here are the links to two examples. One slabbed the other raw.

Slabbed

Raw

While some damage is likely from the static many of these books have similar issues before encapsulation.

The slabbed example has a wedge to prevent the book from shifting. I like the application of the wedge, it should be used more often. In the 'old days' CGC would not encapsulate a book with an overhang like this, fearing damage. I don't think that's true anymore.

I cannot answer for CGC but I have had books rejected due to overhang.

I'm having my first set of books from NYCC pressed by CGC as they were picked up off the show floor and handled by a few people. Not sure on the results yet, but do know it adds about 2 months to the grading cycle.

Hopefully the added delay and expense is worth it.

The 2 months might be due to the de-lousing and sanitization required. :)

There's too much money involved these days with comics so yes pressing is definitely common now, almost every video I see these days on youtube has someone talking about finding a great book and how it will benefit from a press.