• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

It's a key, probably a legit top 20 key.

(I know it was improperly left off the 2014 list, but whether it's still top 20 by value in 2015 means betting against relative increases in Adventure 247, FF # 2, and in particular, FF # 4. And if Guardians of the Galaxy continues to be a thing, Tales to Astonish 13 could join the top 20 within the next five years)

But the consensus pages ago was that a) it should be a top 20 key but not a top 10 key; and b) likely will never break the top 10 given:

1) The immense popularity of the top 10-12 Silver Age books it would need to displace

2) The limited appeal of war books relative to superhero books as a genre

3) Sgt. Rock ceased regular publication 30 years ago

4) There's no movie plans on the horizon

5) It'd be difficult to do as a movie because there's little to distinguish it from a generic war film like Fury

6) Recent sales trends (albeit in mid-grade) that show diminished demand for the issue relative to five years ago.

But Ok, so it rises by value from # 19 to what -- # 14? It's still going to be a niche book with limited appeal.

There's a romance book in the Bronze top 10. And the vast majority of collectors don't care, and would prefer to spend their shekels on any number of second-tier Marvel keys like Marvel Spotlight 5, Spider-Man 121-122, Werewolf By Night 32, or Hero For Hire 1 than on DC 100 Page Super Spectacular # 5.

Excellent post!

To both of you fellers, authentic debate tends to move in tangential and non-tangential directions. Things can veer off-topic and that's OK. As long as I have time (which is quickly dwindling as winter break ticks to a close), I'm happy to debate.

It's truly no skin off my nose if the value dips on the OAAW 83. Not only would I purchase more copies if I saw it doing that (pending cash availability), but in some ways, it actually helps me as I work on getting the other few hundred 10¢ war books I've been chipping away at. The others have been cheaper to get in the last couple years. . .when I can find them--which is not often.

Yes, I have a copy, but I have no plans on selling it during my lifetime.

nosferatua_zps8ccbf495.jpg

Hey - if you only care to hear from those that agree with you, I get it. You just should have spelled that out at the beginning.

Does anyone have some kool-aid I can drink? Getting kinda thirsty from all this riveting unwelcome debate.

Get me a glass too. Again, We don't agree on whether 83 is a key. It's not the subject of this thread- My interest lies in discussing and debating 83's place among the top 20 SA keys list in the OSPG. So your conclusion that my not debating a tangential argument with you means I "only care to hear from those that agree with me?"

Now that's a stretch.

I am saying that I do not see OOAW 83 as a key in the first place, and you are saying that this is not relevant to the topic of this thread - correct?

OK, I will restate my position in such a way as to make it relevant:

For starters, it would, first and foremost, need to be an SA KEY in order to make the list of TOP 5 SA KEYS. As I do not see it as an SA KEY to begin with, I certainly do not see it breaking into the TOP 5 SA KEYS. (thumbs u

I respect your position that 83 is not a SA key even though we disagree. After giving consideration to the opinions of other boardies, my position is that 83 will go no higher than where it would be right now on the Overstreet list (providing its added to the list in the next edition). I also see potential for books like FF 4 and DD 1 to move into the top 20 and knock 83 and SC 9 out. Personally, I think it's good for the hobby to have greater recognition for non-superhero books. I don't know about you, but it can get boring collecting one genre. (thumbs u

To both of you fellers, authentic debate tends to move in tangential and non-tangential directions. Things can veer off-topic and that's OK. As long as I have time (which is quickly dwindling as winter break ticks to a close), I'm happy to debate.

It's truly no skin off my nose if the value dips on the OAAW 83. Not only would I purchase more copies if I saw it doing that (pending cash availability), but in some ways, it actually helps me as I work on getting the other few hundred 10¢ war books I've been chipping away at. The others have been cheaper to get in the last couple years. . .when I can find them--which is not often.

Yes, I have a copy, but I have no plans on selling it during my lifetime.

nosferatua_zps8ccbf495.jpg

(thumbs u

I don't think it can be a top 10.. maybe top 20.

Tier 1:

these books supercede hype and will be coveted till end times regardless of movies. movies just tend to amplify this effect.

AF 15

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Showcase 4,22

JIM 83

FF 1

B&B 28

TOS 39

then there are the following books that have gained some momentum (or lost in the case FF5 or Adventure 247) last few years mainly due to upcoming movie announcements and guardians/captain america being a hit. disney collectors or Justice League fans are chasing these too.

X-men 4

JIM 85

TTA 27,35,44

ST 110

FF 5,45,52,67

Thor 165,

Hawkman 4

Avengers 4,55,57

Adventure 247

I feel comfortable putting OAAW 83 in this category.

then there are books like

ASM 14 (various early ASM first appearance villains 13,15, etc..)

FF 48,49

ToS 57

ST 135

etc...

hot books but may not be folks favorites for whatever reason.

so OAAW 83 probably doesnt have the potential to be a top 10 book but can probably land a top 20 spot eventually!

i dont think that OAAW 83 is actually selling at the high prices folks are asking though where as all the top 9 i listed in tier 1 are currently selling for high asking prices.

You forgot (at least) Avengers 1 and ASM 1 in your top 10 list. May not be first appearances, but neither's B+B 28.

And the case for FF 2 remaining in the top 20 = not only 2nd FF but 1st Scrulls. They have huge future movie potential.

I am starting another thread on a silver age key that everyone forgets about that could easily crack the top 20, and anyone who thinks there is NO demand for this other book I just wish that it were true

:eyeroll:

I read the thread, color me unimpressed.

For someone who desires discussion, you are quick to be snide and dismissive.

Hey - if you only care to hear from those that agree with you, I get it. You just should have spelled that out at the beginning.

Does anyone have some kool-aid I can drink? Getting kinda thirsty from all this riveting unwelcome debate.

hm

:insane:

I am starting another thread on a silver age key that everyone forgets about that could easily crack the top 20, and anyone who thinks there is NO demand for this other book I just wish that it were true

Ok, sorry you feel that way. :foryou:

I was just expressing that 1950's point of view and posting on this topic and the other thread he started has been in a word "silly." I don't know if I was being snide, but I agree I was being dismissive. Based the posts, I felt dismissive was an appropriate response given the lack of reasoning in his arguments.

I do crave discussion but get easily frustrated when people do not string together cohesive arguments or back up their assertions with more than unedited personal opinions. We all have our flaws, I admit this is one of mine.

Probably wasn't the nicest thing I have said, but certainly not anywhere near the vicious posts I have seen on here from a number of veterans. Maybe I should have been nicer.

:shrug:

I was just expressing that 1950's point of view and posting on this topic and the other thread he started has been in a word "silly." I don't know if I was being snide, but I agree I was being dismissive. Based the posts, I felt dismissive was an appropriate response given the lack of reasoning in his arguments.

I do crave discussion but get easily frustrated when people do not string together cohesive arguments or back up their assertions with more than unedited personal opinions. We all have our flaws, I admit this is one of mine.

Probably wasn't the nicest thing I have said, but certainly not anywhere near the vicious posts I have seen on here from a number of veterans. Maybe I should have been nicer.

In general, we can all be nicer. People are going to be who they are on the web. However, when I see comments such as yours, I call em as I see em. (shrug) And it's not always the vets who spew. Some noobs are better at it then the vets

Cogent discussion on the internet is a slippery slope. Expecting everyone to be a debate master (or even have the rudiments of debate skills) is a recipe for disappointment. Better to debate with those, like RMA, who know how to do it and ignore the others. Those who speak primarily from emotion will likely not be swayed by logic anyway. There are always exceptions of course.

In general, we can all be nicer. People are going to be who they are on the web. However, when I see comments such as yours, I call em as I see em. (shrug) And it's not always the vets who spew. Some noobs are better at it then the vets

Cogent discussion on the internet is a slippery slope. Expecting everyone to be a debate master (or even have the rudiments of debate skills) is a recipe for disappointment. Better to debate with those, like RMA, who know how to do it and ignore the others. Those who speak primarily from emotion will likely not be swayed by logic anyway. There are always exceptions of course.

I agree, I and we all could be nicer.

I guess I enter into debate with anyone who is willing to do so (which means all kinds of people).

I agree that not everyone will be swayed and if anything on the boards is true very few people are ever swayed. I just like the discussion and believe at my core that debate/argument is about progress overall.

Being nicer can help, I will keep that in mind. Thank you for your perspective.

I guess I enter into debate with anyone who is willing to do so (which means all kinds of people).

I agree that not everyone will be swayed and if anything on the boards is true very few people are ever swayed. I just like the discussion and believe at my core that debate/argument is about progress overall.

I like seeing when two people fall in love on the internets

I like seeing when two people fall in love on the internets

<3

(thumbs u