• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

By the way, comparing the top ten 2014 movie results in China is quite telling as well.

7kG2IT8.png

It looks like 'The Lego Movie' never even received approval for release across China, and 'Big Hero 6' is still waiting for approval by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT).

China sures loves its Transformers.

Critics will never 'get' Transformers movies. It's not about a human element, it's not about great cinematic film making or social commentary. Hell, audiences don't even go for the plot. Transformers fans want to see realistic looking robots integrated into a live action world beating the transistors out of each other.

That's why it does not matter if it's Shia or Mark. So long as Optimus Prime has someone to hit the movies will make money.

By the way, comparing the top ten 2014 movie results in China is quite telling as well.

7kG2IT8.png

It looks like 'The Lego Movie' never even received approval for release across China, and 'Big Hero 6' is still waiting for approval by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT).

Critics will never 'get' Transformers movies. It's not about a human element, it's not about great cinematic film making or social commentary. Hell, audiences don't even go for the plot. Transformers fans want to see realistic looking robots integrated into a live action world beating the transistors out of each other.

That's why it does not matter if it's Shia or Mark. So long as Optimus Prime has someone to hit the movies will make money.

I'm not a Transformers fan but I enjoyed the first two.

The third one was just terrible.

I wonder if this is a negotiation tactic since Sony and Marvel are supposed to meet this month.

A Casting Call For THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3 Already? Extras Wanted In Atlanta, Georgia

-----------------

The new casting call would suggest that Sony is getting back the ball rolling on their Spider-Man plans and that The Amazing Spider-Man 3 could trade release dates again this time before Sinister Six. Or the listed "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" project name could simply be a titleholder and the Sinister Six will indeed arrive in 2016. Whatever the case, the casting call is searching for male and female extras of all races and ethnicties between the ages of 18 and 65. The film is described as shooting in Atlanta, Georgia - a first for a Spider-Man movie and if the extras are really being called for a Sinister Six film, perhaps Atlanta will serve as a substitute for London which will seemingly act as at least one of the film's settings, according to Drew Goddard's leaked email to Amy Pascal.

-----------------

Are Andrew Garfield and Dane Dehaan returning for TASM 3?

-----------------

We heard about the casting call for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 a short time ago. But looking back over the casting call, Andrew Garfield and Dane Dehaan are listed as main characters. You can see the casting call at the link down below, and see for yourself.

-----------------

Bill Beckman Casting - The Amazing Spider-man 3

7kG2IT8.png

I'm not a Transformers fan but I enjoyed the first two.

The third one was just terrible.

Have you seen the 4th one? :popcorn:

I wonder if this is a negotiation tactic since Sony and Marvel are supposed to meet this month.

A Casting Call For THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3 Already? Extras Wanted In Atlanta, Georgia

-----------------

The new casting call would suggest that Sony is getting back the ball rolling on their Spider-Man plans and that The Amazing Spider-Man 3 could trade release dates again this time before Sinister Six. Or the listed "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" project name could simply be a titleholder and the Sinister Six will indeed arrive in 2016. Whatever the case, the casting call is searching for male and female extras of all races and ethnicties between the ages of 18 and 65. The film is described as shooting in Atlanta, Georgia - a first for a Spider-Man movie and if the extras are really being called for a Sinister Six film, perhaps Atlanta will serve as a substitute for London which will seemingly act as at least one of the film's settings, according to Drew Goddard's leaked email to Amy Pascal.

-----------------

Are Andrew Garfield and Dane Dehaan returning for TASM 3?

-----------------

We heard about the casting call for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 a short time ago. But looking back over the casting call, Andrew Garfield and Dane Dehaan are listed as main characters. You can see the casting call at the link down below, and see for yourself.

-----------------

Bill Beckman Casting - The Amazing Spider-man 3

This is curious. It must be an attempt to pinch Marvel a bit. Everything I've read for the past 6 months says Sony is struggling financially. It seems like a no brainer that they'd at least allow Marvel a hand in the next film(s).

This is curious. It must be an attempt to pinch Marvel a bit. Everything I've read in this thread for the past 6 months says Sony is struggling financially. It seems like a no brainer that they'd at least allow Marvel a hand in the next film(s).

FTFY

Wow! Sony is worse off than I realized previously.

FORBES: What Happened? The Tangled Web Of Sony And Spider-Man

-------------------

In 2013, Sony’s largest single investor was a hedge fund called Third Point. Its manager Daniel Loeb wrote a critical letter to SPE’s parent company about splitting the movie division off to free up the Sony Electronics stock. It caused quite an uproar over the summer last year, leading to Pascal having to deny the sale of Spider-Man. Loeb’s anger over 2013’s box office performance of White House Down and After Earth compounded and lead to Third Point selling off its shares in October this year (pre-hack but still in the middle of more creative floundering from Sony Pictures Entertainment). Loeb’s exit included a statement that Sony had been profitable for Third Point, but the company was moving on. It’s unclear how much of this can be attributed to Sony’s refusal to handle the SPE film division the way Third Point wanted, but it seems in line with Loeb’s statements last year that he feels the electronics division has the potential for billion-dollar profits, not superheroes with shared intellectual property rights. Having Amazing Spider-Man 2 make money on paper was fine but rendering a franchise inert in the process was still a bad move.

-------------------

Third Point owned 7 percent of the company’s stock before the sale, and had been helping Sony's CEO right-size its financials before departing.

Daniel Loeb, Third Point Sell Sony Stake After 20-Percent Profit

Disney/Marvel's deal may be looking better to Sony than previously realized.

It's definitely not looking good, financially. Well, other than for some folks.

0.jpg

(:

i hate for saying these but i think what could help sony pictures finacially would be a restructure get a someone that can make it turn a profit. i think from all branches Sony has the only profitable is the gaming deparment and maybe their camera deparment, Sony mobile is turning around with their azmazing Xperia line and their TV section is doing everything they can to get back on top. but the other hand Sony Pictures just keeps falling down more and more.

i hate for saying these but i think what could help sony pictures finacially would be a restructure get a someone that can make it turn a profit. i think from all branches Sony has the only profitable is the gaming deparment and maybe their camera deparment, Sony mobile is turning around with their azmazing Xperia line and their TV section is doing everything they can to get back on top. but the other hand Sony Pictures just keeps falling down more and more.

it definitely can make money, the issue you are correct is making a profit. I believe the problem was too much money production cost/marketing when you compare it to the other comic movies, if they can reduce their budget to something similar they would have had a successfully financial movie.

normally when companies don't make a profit, they don't think about changing their product but changing the person in charge

I think this is why the top investor pulled out. They wanted to see the company focus back on its core foundation (electronics) so as to rebuild the stock.

But that has to be a tough decision to make as a CEO, in breaking up a company like this and seeing assets spin off to other companies.

so friends respond by calling someone a troll?

nice

I didn't call you a troll. You're the one that has had a big crawling up you for about a week now.

Meanwhile, back to the topic.

yep it's all me. continue.

so friends respond by calling someone a troll?

nice

I didn't call you a troll. You're the one that has had a big crawling up you for about a week now.

Meanwhile, back to the topic.

yep it's all me. continue.

Glad we got that straight for you, and you came out from under that rock.

Of course Sony is struggling financially. To even say otherwise is missing all the warning signs. Why do you think a top investor pulls out at a point where they could at least leave on a profitable note? Because there is concern it won't get better.