• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

Uh-ohhhh.

Tom Rothman Takes Over At SONY - What Could This Mean For SPIDER-MAN?

---------------------

Rothman ran Fox back when the likes of Daredevil, Elektra and the previous Fantastic Four movies were released. He fast-tracked X-Men: The Last Stand, forcing Bryan Singer to abandon the project, and then placed Brett Ratner at the helm. Word is he also micromanaged X-Men: Origins: Wolverine into such a mess that the film wasn't even recognizable to its director, Gavin Hood. Some say Rothman dislikes comic book movies in general, only having a hand in producing the ones he did because of how lucrative they are, and is allegedly one of the main reasons there is such bad blood between Fox and Marvel Studios these days.

---------------------

AWWW DROKK'N HELL! :ohnoez:

I don't know how accurate the Bryan Singer comment is. I thought he had departed to kick off the Superman franchise because it was another comic book 'dream come true' for him to direct.

From what I understand, it was a mix of the two. They were pushing him to finish X3 quicker than he wanted to in order to do it properly and then he was offered Superman Returns and was like ... "And hard decision made easy, see ya X-Men."

I never knew that about Singer feeling like his X3 movie was being rushed. I had always heard about Superman being his next dream project, so it was perfect timing when it came around.

What a shame. And now this fellow is running Sony Studios. Probably another one like its CEO wanting movie scenes run by him for feedback and discussion.

:(

I never knew that about Singer feeling like his X3 movie was being rushed. I had always heard about Superman being his next dream project, so it was perfect timing when it came around.

What a shame. And now this fellow is running Sony Studios. Probably another one like its CEO wanting movie scenes run by him for feedback and discussion.

:(

yeah, that's what I heard from a few peeps who worked on X3. take it as you may, might be assumptions on their part but I thought I had also read it somewhere too.

New Details On Just How Much Control Marvel Studios Has Over SPIDER-MAN

---------------------

Based on a report over at Latino-Review, probably not! They reiterate that Avi Arad and Matt Tolomach are producers in name only, adding:

"We have information from a source suggesting there is no financial involvement whatsoever and no direct creative control over Spidey coming from the old guard. Amy Pascal still has a say in the Mom-and-Pop arrangement she has with Feige, but Disney didn’t want to unite Pearlmutter, Arad and Feige in earnest. This is the solution. What does that mean? It means Marvel might have a bit more control than we thought. It means the new Spider-Man has been insulated from BOTH Avi Arad and new Sony head, superhero property curse, Tom Rothman."

---------------------

Surely this isn't news to Disney. Im assuming decisions like this don't happen overnight...

You'd think that Disney would've been smart enough to ask the question "well since Amy Pascal is stepping down, who's taking over?" before inking the deal with Sony...

Read above. Disney may have known who was coming along.

The full Latino Review writeup.

MARVELOUS DA7E 84: The Business of Spider-Man

--------------------

I’m 96% sure Spider-Man will be white.

I don’t WANT it that way, it’s just the most probable reality because this character is being shared by two giant companies that both want to make more money than the other. I can see where the pressure is coming from. Amy Pascal was labeled a racist because of some leaked e-mails and Marvel Comics is getting ready to make Miles Morales, the Black/Latin Spider-Man from Brooklyn a main-universe Spider-Man this summer. Reactions to minority lead superhero films like Wonder Woman or Black Panther have been very positive...but none of them have made money yet. Wonder Woman might end up beating a solo Spidey to the screen by a matter of days: minority lead properties are still a hope, even though a strong one, from the box office prediction standpoint.

--------------------

We'll see if that 4% delivers a surprise.

--------------------

When Marvel announced the sharing deal and that Sony would keep creative control over the webslinger, it was surprising. Devin from BadAssDigest has even heard that it might have been deigning to Sony to announce it that way in the first place:

“Everything I have heard is that Marvel is calling most of the shots on this new movie. There's been a lot of language in the press to help Sony avoid some embarrassment, to make this look less like admitting defeat.“

And here’s where I pile on: Avi Arad and Matt Tolomach, producers of the Amazing Spider-Man movies (and Arad being attached to the property since it’s initial sale) are producers for Spider-Man in name only.

--------------------

Lord, please let this be true. Only because of the leadership at Sony.

:wishluck:

Would HUNGER GAMES Star Josh Hutcherson Be Up For Playing Marvel's SPIDER-MAN?

--------------------

Though that coveted role ultimately went to Andrew Garfield then, would Hutcherson still be game for playing Spidey now? "Yeah, of course I'd think about doing it,"

Hucherson told Yahoo! last week. "It's Spider-Man, that'd be really cool. There's not been any conversations about that, but who knows what would happen."

--------------------