• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,097 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Cap 110 was very high on my list of non X-Men keys to seek out this year. Guess that's on the back burner for now. MY BAD for not grabbing one before everyone else who didn't care a day ago bought them all :roflmao:

I'm honestly not getting it though.

SPOILERS BELOW

Spoiler

I understand if people want to go after Strange Tales #159 for Val's first appearance, but the Madame Hydra who first appears in Cap #110 is not the same character.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

SPOILERS BELOW

Hide contents

I understand if people want to go after Strange Tales #159 for Val's first appearance, but the Madame Hydra who first appears in Cap #110 is not the same character.

People like to cover their bases. Just because someone else fills a role doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it for that reason. 

There are numerous characters that have had different incarnations over the years, and the appearance of someone with a similar name often raises the price of that book. As an example, think of Marvel Super Heroes 18. I don't think any of those Guardians of the Galaxy characters were in the movie...I am shooting from the hip on this and there may be a point of overlap somewhere, but it was a different team in the movie. Nonetheless, the first appearance of "The Guardians of the Galaxy" is more desirable despite being composed of pseudo-irrelevant characters. 2c

1 minute ago, PeterPark said:

People like to cover their bases. Just because someone else fills a role doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it for that reason. 

There are numerous characters that have had different incarnations over the years, and the appearance of someone with a similar name often raises the price of that book. As an example, think of Marvel Super Heroes 18. I don't think any of those Guardians of the Galaxy characters were in the movie...I am shooting from the hip on this and there may be a point of overlap somewhere, but it was a different team in the movie. Nonetheless, the first appearance of "The Guardians of the Galaxy" is more desirable despite being composed of pseudo-irrelevant characters. 2c

Black knight is a good example. The atlas variety has seen a massive spike even though Sir Percy of Scandia isn’t the character targeted for movies (Dane Whitman).

5 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Black knight is a good example. The atlas variety has seen a massive spike even though Sir Percy of Scandia isn’t the character targeted for movies (Dane Whitman).

And people buy the Toby series! :screwy:

That's like hearing Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel so you buy Whiz 2 (1). It's a great book but...er...

Edited by PeterPark

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

SPOILERS BELOW

Reveal hidden contents

I'm assuming most if not all of the books popping due to current tv shows will be back to pre pop prices soon enough.

If that ends up being a bad assumption, then so be it.

I don't mean the big books that were already keys.

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:

SA Gold Key books are heating up, just based on Star Trek #1 and Scooby Doo #1 (ok, really early Bronze, but still informative).  And Showcase 23, along with other SC issues. 

I am not pleased to hear about SC #23. I'm trying to find a VG raw copy. The same thing happened when I started to look for a nicer copy of FF #6.

8 hours ago, Pantodude said:

SA Gold Key books are heating up, just based on Star Trek #1 and Scooby Doo #1 (ok, really early Bronze, but still informative).  And Showcase 23, along with other SC issues. 

@Pantodude, I hope that you didn't think that I was blaming you in any way. I guess I should remember the well-known adage, "Don't shoot the messenger."