• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

identifying a signature...okay posted picture

13 posts in this topic

I picked up this 1st app Bishop X-Men 282 and there was a signature on the cover. As far as i can tell it is neither Whilce Portacio, Art Thiebert or J. Bryne although i did run into this

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=Uncanny%20X-Men%20282

if you scroll to the signed 1st print copy, my signature looks like this one but it says its Portacio but checking online, WP's signature looks nothing like the one i have or the one on mycomicshop.

Anyone with any assistance is greatly appreciated

I would suggest showing a scan or close up photo of the sig on your book so folks have something to compare. What does your sig have in common with the Portacio sig on the MCS book?

was just lazy to post a pic from photosharing site.

basically it looks real similar to the MCS book BUT looking online at W.P.'s autograph, it looks totally different that what's on the MCS book (and mine as well)

It's Whilce Portacio's Japanese signature. He did it more in the old day's. Doesn't do it as much today.

so does this make it more valuable or rare?

Well an unwitnessed sig is considered 'writing on cover'

It's Whilce Portacio's Japanese signature. He did it more in the old day's. Doesn't do it as much today.

so does this make it more valuable or rare?

Well an unwitnessed sig is considered 'writing on cover'

By CGC (for now) yes, but Voldemort will verify it.

thanks for all the wonderful responses. Yes it was not verified or anything like that. I found it in a $1 bin at the local flea market. I guess when it comes to uncertified sigs i ask myself a few question depending on the situation.

in this case is there enough reason to believe someone would actually forge W.P.'s old signature on a comic that although is a key issue is not worth that much anyways?

Is W.P. that famous that folks would be forging his obscure signature then having that comic signature end up in a $1 bin at the flea mkt?

It just seems so far fetched to go through all the forging of a somewhat obscure signature just for a mid-value book which ends up in a $1 bin at a flea mkt.

Now if I had a L.W., C.C., or S.L. signature on a Giant size X-Men #1 without certification, then I would definitely be a little more skeptical. I am going to try to reach out to W.P. to see if he could shed some light. Either way I think this is a cool find and I may just end up keeping it. If I end up selling it for $10 I would be happy, but of course sold with full disclosure