• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first year as a golden age only collector

27 posts in this topic

Well I'm starting off the year right :) these just got back from CGC :)

1zbb591.jpg

30lmedt.jpg

Not sure what to do with these... I'm always gonna love shomburgs, but they don't really fit in the DWOTN collection. /shrug I'll love them all the same though :)

t86avc.jpg

33xbn61.jpg

Great thread, Griff. Were you in the Navy yourself? Just curious how you landed on this title to collect...

Don Winslow has it all

Hero covers - check

Pirate covers - check

horror covers - check

Hottie covers - check

Bondage covers - check

Its one stop shopping for the golden age lol

:)

... though the above makes an awfully good case for it. :applause: Keep 'em coming!

I sure was Point 5:) ! I did 7 years in the Navy and served during the first gulf war.

bi1j85.jpg

Oh and add

Swastika / Nazi covers -check

Japanese war covers - check

nuclear bomb panels - check

:)

Coolest piece of Esoteric related merchandise

These salt and pepper shakers of Don Winslow and his Side kick Red :)

"or will be the coolest when UPS finally delivers it !"

24cslc2.png

Griff

That is truly esoteric, man! Great job on your new collection and good luck in 2015! :applause:

Hey Griff, welcome....not just to the Gold forum, but to the group of us who ONLY collect Golden Age comics. A group within this group. Although this group is filled with the best members!!! Not sure the ratio of ONLY GA collectors. Anyway....I'm with you 100% on only collecting GA. I sold everything and focused on Golden Age about 8 years ago. I've slowly, well pretty rapidly, been downsizing my quantity and upgrading my quality. I only want Golden Age 1st appearances highest in existence now. I look at it like all the other stuff I used to have but sold. Like baseball cards. Who wants a 'run' of Kirby Puckett cards? Not me. I only want his 1985 rookie card. But....when I found out he had a 1983 minor league Visalia Oaks card, then that's all I wanted. Why would I even bother with a 1990 Puckett card?? I'd sell all my 1985 cards to get a few 1983 cards.

The great thing about comics is that...IMO...the prices don't reflect the value yet. In some cases it does. But not in many cases. This hobby is still developing.

What I'm getting at is this. Consider selling all your Don Winslow comics. Don't get me wrong - he's a great character. But jump all over his 1st appearance highest in existence. If it ever shows up, bid on it. Win it!! 'Overpay' for it! You'll be happy you did. Pay the 20% down....and make payments for 2 or more years if you have to. They'll let you stretch it out. Or....keep your eyes open for another character.

Just my opinion. Everyone collects differently. But you just caught my attention by saying you finally did what I did a while back - switched completely to GA.

Welcome!