• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your favorite LATE NIGHT 70'S and 80's MADE FOR TV horror/sci-fi movie?

104 posts in this topic

I can only think of the 3rd-rate Twilight Zone knockoff series "The Outer Limits." I cannot recall one MFTV movie...

:(

-slym

One really cannot call Outer Limits a knockoff of Twilight Zone without admitting TZ was "inspired" by Lights Out (1949-1952), Tales Of Tomorrow (1951-1953) and Science Fiction Theater (1955-1957).

You beat me to it. Outer Limits is hardly a knockoff or 3rd-rate, it’s considered a classic by anyone with an interest in sc-fi and horror TV. Stephen King called it the best program of its type ever to air on network TV. It had a distinctive look and great cinematographers who went on to award winning careers in feature films.

Also, it’s an early '60s series. (The original, not the '90s revival.)

Anyways, here’s a few more mostly ‘70s made for TV movies that haven’t been mentioned yet:

The Cat Creature

A Cold Night's Death

Crowhaven Farm

Dracula

Duel

Frankenstein - The True Story

The House That Wouldn't Die

Legend of Lizzie Borden

Look What Happened to Rosemary's Baby

Satan's School for Girls

Satan's Triangle

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Stranger Within

I think Satan’s Triangle was the one that scared me the most.

You beat me to it. Outer Limits is hardly a knockoff or 3rd-rate, it’s considered a classic by anyone with an interest in sc-fi and horror TV. Stephen King called it the best program of its type ever to air on network TV. It had a distinctive look and great cinematographers who went on to award winning careers in feature films.

Also, it’s an early '60s series. (The original, not the '90s revival.)

Anyways, here’s a few more mostly ‘70s made for TV movies that haven’t been mentioned yet:

The Cat Creature

A Cold Night's Death

Crowhaven Farm

Dracula

Duel

Frankenstein - The True Story

The House That Wouldn't Die

Legend of Lizzie Borden

Look What Happened to Rosemary's Baby

Satan's School for Girls

Satan's Triangle

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Stranger Within

I think Satan’s Triangle was the one that scared me the most.

That's the one about the Bermuda Triangle right?

Where the guy is hanging from the ship mast at the end and realizes it's been the Devil he's been talking to?

Yeah, very mystery paced until the end where it gives you that chill factor. (thumbs u

Another one on your list, "A Cold Nights Death" I think I remember. Was that the one about the Arctic research station people being mysteriously murdered and at the end the last survivor gets locked in a room and you see one of the experimental chimps staring at him through the glass window? I think that's the one, again with a chilling ending.

After you mentioned YouTube, I couldn't help myself and searched for it. I just fast forwarded to the end and the door (with window) slowly shuts then you hear it lock. As the man stares at the door you see a small type of monkey ( not a chimp as I remembered), raise its head and look through the window. Not as chilling as I remembered it either and actually, poopy was a good adjective to describe it! doh!

A TV series that has not been mentioned as yet is Ghost Story/Circle of Fear. The series contains some very scary episodes including one of my favorites titled Dark Vengeance. The story involves a construction worker (Martin Sheen) that unearths a curious box, takes it home and opens it. His wife (Kim Darby) begins to be terrorized by the object it contains: a toy wooden horse that grows into something more.

A TV series that has not been mentioned as yet is Ghost Story/Circle of Fear. The series contains some very scary episodes including one of my favorites titled Dark Vengeance. The story involves a construction worker (Martin Sheen) that unearths a curious box, takes it home and opens it. His wife (Kim Darby) begins to be terrorized by the object it contains: a toy wooden horse that grows into something more.

I don't believe I've ever seen this. Checking YouTube now :D

Just to add to the Outer Limits, Twilight Zone etc vibe... those of you that have Netflix need to watch some of the series Black Mirror.

The first episode of season one pretty much tells you how the series is. ;)

Summer of Fear (Stranger In Our House) was a great one I searched for years to find the title.

Governess (beautiful Lee Purcell) is a witch, with LInda Blair in it.

Another one that left errie memories (was about 4 years old); was 'Encounter with the Unknown." They let this guy down into some mysterious hole in the ground (bout 49 min in), and he came up insane.

I can only think of the 3rd-rate Twilight Zone knockoff series "The Outer Limits." I cannot recall one MFTV movie...

:(

-slym

Third rate???!!??!! The Outer Limits was FIRST rate. TWO Harlan Ellison episodes, a shout-out in Watchmen, an episode listed in the TV Guide 100 Greatest Episodes of All-Time?

(tsk)