• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warner Bros. Announces Upcoming DC Film Slate Through 2020

62 posts in this topic

here's the name of one director who isn't likely to be doing any of these

DEADLINE: How does this lampooning of Hollywood’s fixation with superheroes affect your chance of ever getting a crack at one?

GONZALEZ INARRITU: I would be terrible. I think there’s nothing wrong with being fixated on superheroes when you are seven years old, but I think there’s a disease in not growing up. The corporation and the hedge funds have a hold on Hollywood and they all want to make money on anything that signifies cinema. When you put $100 million and you get $800 million or $1 billion, it is very hard to convince people. You tell them, you will put in $20 million and you will get $80 million. Now, that is a amazing business, but they say, ‘$80 million? I want $800 million.’ Basically, the room to exhibit good nice films is over. These are taking the place of all those things.

DEADLINE: Is there anything you enjoy about these superhero films?

superGONZALEZ INARRITU: I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn. The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters. They have been poison, this cultural genocide, because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and mess that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.

Sounds like another frustrated artist angry about entertainment. :eyeroll:

Fair enough. After years watching "art films"; foreign films with subtitles; the classics and indeed once burning up several VHS tapes recording an Ingmar Bergman TV marathon (no kidding, I'm not making that up) I have for everyone a handy summary of everything you need to know about real meaningful movies and the experience of being human.

Its either about A

Ingmar_Bergman-The_Seventh_Seal-01_zpsdf2823cc.jpg

Or its about B

casablanca_1_zps3b158db4.jpg

With that out of the way, I'd like to talk about who is going to play Wonder Woman, and what costume she'll be wearing... hm

It's all about either chess or hats? :)