• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeing comics that you have sold, somewhere else for sale

88 posts in this topic

The only exception is when the buyer states it's for his personal collection and asks for a discount, only to turn around and sell it. This has only happened to me once here and it just made me shake my head. The guy said something came up and he needed to make some money quickly in the heading of the sales thread. The thread was about 2 weeks after he had the book "for his collection."

I offered him the same price I sold it to him for 2 weeks prior since he needed the money. He said "I'm sorry, but I can't give you as good a deal as you made me". :facepalm: I Don't wish I had the book back or anything, but I won't deal with that boardie anymore.

Any point in me asking you to out him? That's someone I wouldn't want to buy from.

The only exception is when the buyer states it's for his personal collection and asks for a discount, only to turn around and sell it. This has only happened to me once here and it just made me shake my head. The guy said something came up and he needed to make some money quickly in the heading of the sales thread. The thread was about 2 weeks after he had the book "for his collection."

I offered him the same price I sold it to him for 2 weeks prior since he needed the money. He said "I'm sorry, but I can't give you as good a deal as you made me". :facepalm: I Don't wish I had the book back or anything, but I won't deal with that boardie anymore.

Any point in me asking you to out him? That's someone I wouldn't want to buy from.

That would pizz me off. :pullhair:

If it's books that I've sold due to a change of collecting focus or are under copies I usually don't give it a second thought. The only time it's bugged me is when I see that the flipper has substantially inflated the grade

This has happened to me here, early on. I ran a sales thread...within 30 minutes of listing a particular raw book, I received a PM asking for a price break. Trying to be a nice guy and help out a boardie, I agreed and sold the book at a discount via PM. Within a month, the raw book was back for sale on the boards, listed at a higher grade, with a higher asking price than my original, undiscounted asking price, and the book sold fairly quickly at that grade and price.

I learned a valuable lesson. Also, what do you think the chances are that I will give a price break on a book to that boardie ever again, should they ask?

If it's books that I've sold due to a change of collecting focus or are under copies I usually don't give it a second thought. The only time it's bugged me is when I see that the flipper has substantially inflated the grade

This has happened to me here, early on. I ran a sales thread...within 30 minutes of listing a particular raw book, I received a PM asking for a price break. Trying to be a nice guy and help out a boardie, I agreed and sold the book at a discount via PM. Within a month, the raw book was back for sale on the boards, listed at a higher grade, with a higher asking price than my original, undiscounted asking price, and the book sold fairly quickly at that grade and price.

I learned a valuable lesson. Also, what do you think the chances are that I will give a price break on a book to that boardie ever again, should they ask?

Goose egg 0

No I don't even sell to upgrade.It's in the collection for life,let the wife and kids handle that when I'm gone.

You may change your mind on this over time. Having seen the burden on those left behind to settle the estates of loved ones, I certainly have... But maybe I'm just getting old. :preach:

Goose egg 0

Correct...at least that's how I feel about it right now.

Maybe I shouldn't feel that way, though...perhaps I should just be grateful for the "business" I received from that boardie at that time...I mean, no one else purchased the book before I made that particular deal, right? It's a complicated emotion. (shrug)

I cut the cord years ago and assume any book I sell will make its way into the market. It does sting a bit when you give a discount based on the buyer saying it is for his collection, but as others point out the remedy for that is to no longer deal with that buyer. Comic karma is very strong.

I cut the cord years ago and assume any book I sell will make its way into the market. It does sting a bit when you give a discount based on the buyer saying it is for his collection, but as others point out the remedy for that is to no longer deal with that buyer. Comic karma is very strong.

I'm glad I'm not on anyone's not to sell to list,our community is not a big one.Reputations can be made or broken in a heartbeat.

I have never sold an item from my personal collections. I have however bought items to sell or as trade bait, but nothing from these forums. I really don't like using eBay as I prefer to support the many great comic book dealers here on the boards. I also like to keep my transactions as private as possible. My collection is mostly made up of books from the likes of Greg Reece, Metropolis Comics, and Bob Storms. They give me good deals and I give them both my business and referrals whenever I can.

Thanks guys, just curious. I laugh when I see a book I struggled to sell here for $150 end up on the 'bay a few days later asking $500 :lol:

We have a discerning pallet here,some guys will just buy anything on the bay. lol

A discerning pallet? COOL!

I could certainly use a discerning pallet full of palatable comics!

(Runs away, laughing at Oakman's bad missssspelling)

I was browsing on mycomicshop one time and noticed a copy of a book that looked familiar. Sure enough, it was a comic that I had sold here on the boards. I don't remember who bought it and even if I did, I don't really care. Once a comic is in the hands of someone else, it's theirs to do with as they please. No regrets. No looking back

Same here.

Thanks guys, just curious. I laugh when I see a book I struggled to sell here for $150 end up on the 'bay a few days later asking $500 :lol:

We have a discerning pallet here,some guys will just buy anything on the bay. lol

:pullhair: Damn auto correct......

:baiting:

Now you know how I feel. lol!

Worse than a book you sold then up for sale is a book that was stolen then you see it for sale.

I had a Famous Funnies #17 in at least 9.2 that was stolen in 1990 at the Los Angeles comic show. It's the same comic that Gerber photographed for the Photo-Journal guide when he took pics of several of my comics at SDCC in I believe 1988.

Fast Forward to 2002 and I see the comic for sale on ebay. I know the comic because it was near perfect except for a small bindery tear at spine. I message the seller commenting on the beautiful comic asking where he got it. His reply was from a comic dealer who he could not remember from west coast.

I never mentioned that I once owned the comic and it was stolen. Not way to prove it and nothing to gain.

Anyway whoever owns it now has a really nice comic and had absolutely nothing to do with the theft.

Leroy

20150101_0932131_zps2e065161.jpg

:baiting:

Now you know how I feel. lol!

Is there any way to turn auto correct off? Please forum guru's help a technically challenged guy out. :wishluck:

I am a collector so those rare times I sell I use the collectors plan -- buy high sell low

(thumbs u Exactly! I never get FMV for what I've sold - I'm more interested in getting a fast deal so I can move on to my next buy. So I've no illusions that I've been flipped on - it's cool. Selling is tiresome and time-consuming work.

Dan