• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeing comics that you have sold, somewhere else for sale

88 posts in this topic

The only thing that would bother me is if someone where to be dishonest when buying a book, like pulling the 'I'm a collector' card when it isn't true. Other than that, we're all big people and I have no problem with seeing a book of mine being resold.

The slimeballs who lie and pull that "I'm a collector and want it for my collection" BS and then flip the comic for more need to be outed on the boards. :mad:

Do people really PM people and say things like, "It is for my collection- can I get a break?"

As a collector, that is shameful.

Hasn't happened to me but others report that it's happened to them.

Do people really PM people and say things like, "It is for my collection- can I get a break?"

I've never been asked that, personally. I don't mind people trying to get the best price, but that does seem a bit low. I guess I'd just respond that I'm trying to get money for my personal collection and could I get some more?" lol

:grin:

I've never been asked that, personally. I don't mind people trying to get the best price, but that does seem a bit low. I guess I'd just respond that I'm trying to get money for my personal collection and could I get some more?" lol

Using the Oliver Twist selling method.

Using the Oliver Twist selling method.

:roflmao:

No one forces me to sell anything. If I sold something, I got the price I was looking for at that time. Future sales of that same book don't affect me.

The only exception is when the buyer states it's for his personal collection and asks for a discount, only to turn around and sell it. This has only happened to me once here and it just made me shake my head.

+1 on all points.

I can only think of twice that I have bought something on the boards and then later resold it. Both times it was because the signature looked really nice in the picture but then in person it wasn't what I wanted to display because it did not show up very well without direct light. I sold both for a loss as I usually do which is another reason why I don't like to sell. lol I am like Oak, in that selling takes the fun out of the collecting focus for me. My goal in 2015 though is to sell stuff I have no attachment to so we will see if I can actually do it.

I have asked people if they could go lower on listed prices (usually when I'm buying multiple books), but it seems odd to me to ask for a discount because it is for your collection. So what? Why does that matter to the seller?

I have asked people if they could go lower on listed prices (usually when I'm buying multiple books), but it seems odd to me to ask for a discount because it is for your collection. So what? Why does that matter to the seller?

Buyers like to tug on that"collector" heart string with a seller,in that the seller needs to show some restraint.If you are selling books,you should try to be unattached with the buyers scenerio.Like you said "so what if that's for your collection or not". Are you gonna buy the book or not! lol

Buyers like to tug on that"collector" heart string with a seller,in that the seller needs to show some restraint.If you are selling books,you should try to be unattached with the buyers scenerio.Like you said "so what if that's for your collection or not". Are you gonna buy the book or not! lol

Unfortunately, this was my "lesson learned" that I referred to earlier. Damn shame.

I enjoy wheeling and dealing on books, but don't play the "it's for my collection" card when doing so, even if that's the case. On the other hand I have been shown unexpected generosity from boardies who know I'm looking for something, and would feel like a total heel if I flipped those books.

So what? Why does that matter to the seller?

Lemme take a stab at this...this won't be quite right, but I don't have the energy to fully flesh it out...I'll try to capture the basic idea, though (at least the way I think about it):

First, understand the notion of economic "utility"...I, like most people, get utility (i.e., satisfaction, or value) from things other than dollars (in addition to getting utility from dollars, of course)...as a collector, I get utility from helping other collectors with their collections...that's part of the fun of collecting for me.

So, let me do a hypothetical example, using units of utility to illustrate (let's assume I get 1 unit of utility from $1, to keep things simple). Say I'm selling a book with a monetary value of $100. Also suppose I get 20 units of utility from helping a fellow collector with this book. Suppose a collector who needs the book offers me $80...well, I still get 100 units of utility, and feel as good as if I had sold the book to a "non-collector" for $100. Well, if it then turns out that the buyer was not really a collector who "needed the book", I then lose those 20 units of utility.

Stated differently, I get more total utility from selling the book to a collector who needs it for $80 (yielding 100 utility units in this example) than from selling the book to a "non-collector" for $80 (yielding 80 utility units in this example), even though the $80 sales price is the same in both cases.

I understand helping someone out. That can be for a multitude of reasons. But to ask for a discount for those same reasons is where I was coming from.

Give me a discount because:

Its for my collection.

I just lost my job.

Its for a sick friend.

Etc.

To assume that means anything to the seller is silly at best. Your problems are not the seller's problems.

I can see writing "it's for my collection" if you're trying to let the seller know that you're not cynically trying to get a low price just so you can flip the book. But that's really just putting the idea into the seller's mind that you might be a reseller, when the seller might not even be worrying about such matters.

One time it kinda bugged me when somebody bought one of my books to resell was when the buyer immediately relisted the comic with a different grade. I had sold the comic as a VG, and the buyer turned around and listed the comic as a FN. He also was immediately (the morning after end of auction) emailing me to ask if I had sent the comic yet. Guess he was in a big hurry to flip/resell. I can't say the buyer did anything wrong in terms of his behavior toward me (other than pressuring me for a fast shipment), but it definitely feels weird when somebody buys from you just to relist.

The thing that bugs me more is when I'm trying to win an auction item for my personal collection, and somebody outbids me just to resell the item. The time it has REALLY bugged me is on the half-dozen occasions where I was outbid in literally the last minute of the auction on Heritage, only to see the items being sold by Lewis Wayne Galleries (at least for 2x the Heritage hammer price) within a week after the end of the Heritage auctions. Lewis Wayne Galleries is just an off-shoot of Heritage run by one of the main Heritage employees. That was a few years ago before the N.P. Gresham bad publicity. I still feel burned by those situations because it meant Heritage had an invisible reserve or in-house shill (or the impression of one) and made me feel less confidence in the integrity of their auction process.

The only exception is when the buyer states it's for his personal collection and asks for a discount, only to turn around and sell it. This has only happened to me once here and it just made me shake my head. The guy said something came up and he needed to make some money quickly in the heading of the sales thread. The thread was about 2 weeks after he had the book "for his collection."

I offered him the same price I sold it to him for 2 weeks prior since he needed the money. He said "I'm sorry, but I can't give you as good a deal as you made me". :facepalm: I Don't wish I had the book back or anything, but I won't deal with that boardie anymore.

Any point in me asking you to out him? That's someone I wouldn't want to buy from.

It wouldn't really matter...it was a few years ago and the guy rarely comes around anymore.

Thanks guys, just curious. I laugh when I see a book I struggled to sell here for $150 end up on the 'bay a few days later asking $500 :lol:

We have a discerning pallet here,some guys will just buy anything on the bay. lol

That's a pallet that's self-aware...

"No, no...you may NOT stack me with boxes of Brigade #1!"

hm

Thanks guys, just curious. I laugh when I see a book I struggled to sell here for $150 end up on the 'bay a few days later asking $500 :lol:

We have a discerning pallet here,some guys will just buy anything on the bay. lol

A discerning pallet? COOL!

I could certainly use a discerning pallet full of palatable comics!

(Runs away, laughing at Oakman's bad missssspelling)

Ha ha, my joke was more discerning than yours.

;)

Catrick, can you believe it's been almost 16 years since the beginning of the eBay comics board...?

:o

The only exception is when the buyer states it's for his personal collection and asks for a discount, only to turn around and sell it. This has only happened to me once here and it just made me shake my head. The guy said something came up and he needed to make some money quickly in the heading of the sales thread. The thread was about 2 weeks after he had the book "for his collection."

This was my thinking exactly! It doesn't really matter unless someone asks for a discount because it is a book they have always wanted in their collection and then the flip it.