• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Scanning Tips?

41 posts in this topic

Hey all.

I just got my first scanner this afternoon. I'm totally excited to start scanning my collection. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? How many DPI? How many pixels (LxW)?

Here's my first attempt. Let me know if its up to par. And feel free to raz me by grading it 27_laughing.gif

hulk181.jpg

I use 150 dpi.

Me too. Once I accidentally scanned a Conan #1 at 1200 dpi. foreheadslap.gif

I think you could see the molecules that made up the paper if you zoomed in close enough. The file size was something like 20 MB (took forever to open).

There is usually a 'photograph' setting in the scanner software - for me, that provides the best contrast and color capture. I use 96 dpi for single-comic listings; the resulting file is 150-250k and fills the width of most 800x600 computer screens. For multi-comic listings, I drop down to 72 dpi so the auction listing loads faster, and to save on image storage costs.

SORRY!! The picture is gone, and I'm having trouble posting a new one, I think I'm making them too big. I don't think I can post an image at 150 DPI, I'll have to stick with 72 which I used before. Oh well. I'll try to get one or two back up on this thread soon, but it's proving time consuming.

4.5 to 5.0 unless the Marvel Value Stamp is missing.

Where is the stamp? I'm not familiar with them?

The Marvel Value Stamp was a thing Marvel introduced for collectors, right around the time that this comic came out. Each issue had a different character featured in the stamp (it was on the Bullpen or Letter page I believe) and collectors were encouraged to cut them out and paste them in a specially made book.

A BOATLOAD of Hulk 181 issues have been ruined by this. In fact we recently had a guy on the boards who had an issue but he'd never checked to see if the stamp was intact or cut out. He opened it up. And the stamp was gone. 893whatthe.gif

What he thought was a VF key was no longer a VF. A sad story, but a good lesson. When buying Marvel books from that era, ALWAYS check to see if the stamp is intact.

Soo...... Is the stamp there??

The Marvel Value Stamp was a thing Marvel introduced for collectors, right around the time that this comic came out. Each issue had a different character featured in the stamp (it was on the Bullpen or Letter page I believe) and collectors were encouraged to cut them out and paste them in a specially made book.

A BOATLOAD of Hulk 181 issues have been ruined by this. In fact we recently had a guy on the boards who had an issue but he'd never checked to see if the stamp was intact or cut out. He opened it up. And the stamp was gone. 893whatthe.gif

What he thought was a VF key was no longer a VF. A sad story, but a good lesson. When buying Marvel books from that era, ALWAYS check to see if the stamp is intact.

Marvel Value Stamp #54, Shanna the She-Devil grin.gif

By the way, what year range of books would have the Stamps? confused-smiley-013.gif

By the way, a scan is back up and running on the very first post. This time with a black background.

Not working.

You must have gone over your 5KB bandwidth limit on Geoties. poke2.gif

By the way, a scan is back up and running on the very first post. This time with a black background.

Not working.

You must have gone over your 5KB bandwidth limit on Geoties. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif that's weird. It's up when I look at the thread. Anyone else?