• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade 4 starring Wesley Snipes? Could be happening!
1 1

83 posts in this topic

The Possible 'Blade' Netflix Series From Marvel: Have We Known The Plot For A Year?

Most of Marvel's superhero series are heavily based on a comic. In this case, though, I think the series will be based on a comic that was never published.

In July 2015, Marvel Comics was preparing the ground for their All-New, All-Different relaunch. In addition to titles like Invincible Iron Man and All-New, All-Different Avengers, fans were treated to a pitch for an ongoing series of Blade.

The pitch was simple: No longer would Blade walk alone. Instead, the story would be focused on a teenage girl, Fallon Grey, who was plunged into Blade's world. Fallon was envisioned as the "anti-Peter Parker" — where Peter was the outsider, Fallon was a popular girl, one who thought her future was all plotted out. Then she entered into a world of crazy — and learned that Blade was her dad.

Some aspects of the concept rang eerily similar to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but writer Tim Seeley insisted this was a coincidence.

"Well, as much as I had to deal with 'Buffy' comparisons on 'Hack/Slash,' I've still managed to avoid watching that show. So, while I think 'high school girl fights monsters' will always invite 'Buffy' comparisons, I'd like to think my blissful ignorance will at least keep me from hewing too close to Joss Whedon's work. Though, after seeing 'Cabin In the Woods,' it became clear to me he and I come from creepily similar influences."

the-possible-blade-netflix-series-from-marvel-have-we-known-the-plot-for-a-year-the-d-981263.jpg

I was looking forward to this book. The description was awesome and if becomes a Netflix series with a Fallon Grey as the lead and Wesley Snipes appearing, I'd be all in:

Fallon Grey is a sixteen year old girl from rural Oregon. Nominated for Prom Queen, Captain of the debate team, most popular girl in her class. But there is another side to Fallon. A feeling like there’s something more inside of her. When terror strikes her small town, she’ll find out just how right she was. As fearsome supernatural forces hunt Fallon, she’ll come face to face with something even more shocking than the monsters on her tail. Eric Brooks…Blade…her father?! And in each other, they’ll discover the purpose they’ve each been struggling to find.

Marvel Is Doing Something With Blade According To Kate Beckinsale

blade-marvel-204200.png

Today, during the question-and-answer portion of Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment's New York Comic Con panel for their upcoming film Underworld: Blood Wars, Kate Beckinsale — who plays vampire warrior Selene in the vampires versus werewolves franchise — was asked about a crossover with Blade (a.k.a. Eric Brooks), Marvel's most powerful vampire hunter.

"No. We had that idea. No," Beckinsale replied before dropping some tantalizing Blade information. "They're busy. They're doing something with Blade."

giphy.gif

:o

Kevin Feige Says "Nothing Imminent" Is Happening With BLADE; Confirms UNDERWORLD Talks

Talking to reporters following a sneak peek of Doctor Strange, Kevin Feige offered an upate on where things currently stand with Blade, and it definitely doesn't sound like they have anything concrete in place. In fact, he doesn't even appear to be sure about whether he'll end up in a movie or on TV!

"They did ask a long time ago and I think our answer was, ‘No, we’ll do something with ‘Blade’ at some point.’ That’s still the answer. We still think he’s a great character. He’s a really fun character. We think this movie going into a different side of the universe would have the potential to have him pop up, but between the movies, the Netflix shows, the ABC shows there are so many opportunities for the character to pop up as you’re now seeing with Ghost Rider on ‘AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ that rather than team up with another studio on that character let’s do something on our own. What that is? Where that will be? We’ll see. There is nothing imminent to my knowledge."

:(

Kevin Feige Comments On BLADE's Current Status In The MCU - Could There Be Something In The Works?

152028.jpg

Kevin Feige has been asked about this before but never really gave us much to go on - however, during a new interview with Arrow In The Head, Marvel's head honcho speaks a bit more positively about the possibility, stating that it "would be cool" to do something with The Daywalker... someday.

"We think it would be cool. Someday. My tenure at Marvel started 17 years ago, and there were two things that sort of launched the modern era. One was X-Men, which was the first thing that people said, "Oh, there's life here." But a few years before that, there was Blade. A character nobody had heard of at all, had only appeared in a few issues of Tomb of Dracula or something, turned into a big franchise."

"That was always a great lesson for me, where you go, 'It doesn't matter how well known the character is, it matters how cool the movie is.' Which, many years later, would be the reason we do Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange. I think Blade is a legacy character now, and I think it would be fun to do something with him one day."

28 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Blade 4 would be cool but Wesley ain't getting any younger 

He’s still in good shape for approaching 60. I’d like to see a DKR version of Blade or Old Man Blade, ha. One last Blade with Wesley then reboot and recast for Netflix.

Wesley Snipes Hopes He Can Return To The Role Of BLADE...Or Any Other Marvel Character

"I am very much open to all of the possibilities," Snipes said in a recent interview. "If Blade 4 comes along, that is a conversation we can have." He's clearly confident about being given the chance to reprise the role but admitted that he wouldn't say no to playing another Marvel hero or villain. 

"There are other characters in the Marvel universe that, if they want to invite me to play around with, I am with that too. I think the fans have a hunger for me to revision the Blade character, so that could limit where they could place me as another character in that universe." The Blade franchise wrapped up in underwhelming fashion in 2004 and an argument could be made that the vampire hunter would now be better suited to a series like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or even something on Netflix.

Great video covering how Blade (1998) was the first Marvel Studios film, establishing the packaged superhero approach 

AN UNSUNG HERO: HOW BLADE HELPED SAVE THE COMIC-BOOK MOVIE

First and foremost, Blade wasn't a flash-in-the-pan pitch. According to Frankfurt, the film was originally conceived in 1992 after he wrapped production on the urban drama Juice (which famously starred Tupac Shakur). "I said to Marvel before I called New Line, 'Don't you have any African-American heroes? Any characters that we can make a movie?' They responded with, 'Yeah, we've got Blade. It's kind of a midlevel character. He had a couple of comics that he was on the cover, but mostly he's a secondary character. He's kind of cool. He likes jazz.'"

Blade was everything De Luca and Frankfort were looking for. De Luca had an option on it for New Line, and they'd found the perfect writer for it in David S. Goyer. Everything was starting to fall into place. But their small comic-book movie slowly turned into a blockbuster. "We knew that it was going to be way too expensive," Frankfurt recalled. "So when I handed in the -script to Mike I said, 'You might be upset about this, OK? This is not gonna be a $3 million movie like Juice. But if you don't like it, we can always take stuff out.' He takes it for the weekend and calls back on Monday and goes, 'I love it! It's insane.'"

They spent years looking for the right director and found him in the most unlikely candidate. "We'd seen this movie Death Machine, by this young guy named Steve Norrington. It was amazing. It was made for no money. It didn't make a whole lot of sense narratively, but just the energy of it and the craft of it was really impressive," Frankfurt explained. "It had this kind of crazy velocity. It had some really fabulous action beats in it. So I met him, and he was like P.T. Barnum in a room ... Lynn Harris was the executive shepherding at New Line, and she met him and was like, 'I like this guy. He's crazy, but he could be great.' I got him in a lunch with Wesley, Wesley's like, 'OK.' And then that was it."

After five years and multiple meetings, they finally got Blade into production. But it happened to be at a time when the comic-book genre was imploding. Frankfurt took note of the grim landscape. "I was concerned," he said. "Mike De Luca produced both Steel and Spawn, but he wasn't concerned. He just said, 'Make the best movie you can.' The wonderful thing about working with New Line is that they gave you plenty of rope. You could completely screw it up, or you could make something great. But they weren't going to interfere."

These days, a studio keeping their distance sounds like a foreign concept. But their faith paid off when De Luca saw the first cut of Blade. The producer had a visceral reaction, which turned out to be a good sign. "He was sitting behind me in the screening room, and he had his feet up on the back of my chair. I could feel him kicking and pushing. He was totally into it. The lights came up and he was like, 'Oh my God. This movie is like triple NC-17. We might have to pull it back in a few places, but it's f--king awesome. Just keep doing what you're doing.'"

Blade was released Aug. 21, 1998, and no one expected it to be a hit. It happened to open a week after one of the most hailed films of all time. "The movie came out the second weekend of Saving Private Ryan. And it opened at number one. It knocked Private Ryan off number one. Everybody was like, 'What? Are you kidding?'" Frankfurt exclaimed, "Everybody was shocked, like, 'What is this movie that knocked Private Ryan off?!' And then it held its second weekend, which was unheard of for an urban movie. Usually they just flame out like a horror movie does. Other people were like, 'Oh, it's a horror movie.' Everybody was trying to figure out what it was."

TV show or film, Marvel should bring this character back sooner rather than later.

No wonder why this movie never came together (other than the tax prison time).

Speaking of fights, I must ask this because the internet needs to know: Is Patton Oswalt’s story true that Wesley Snipes tried to strangle you on the set of Blade: Trinity (which Snipes has denied). If so, what prompted that?

Let’s just say I have tremendous respect for Wesley as an actor. He used to be a friend. We’re not friends anymore. I am friends with Patton, and I worked with Patton since, so … I don’t think anyone involved in that film had a good experience on that film. Certainly, I didn’t. I don’t think anybody involved with that film is happy with the results. It was a very tortured production.

Patton Oswalt part of the story:

Blade: Trinity (2004)—“Hedges”
PO:
Oh, Christ. That was the third Blade movie. And there’s a scene where Blade goes in and confronts this guy for harvesting humans. That scene was supposed to be the whole basis of the film. Blade is fighting for the last shred of humanity. But they thought that it was just so grim, so they decided to just have Blade fighting Dracula. It was just one of those; it was a very troubled production. Wesley [Snipes] was just crazy in a hilarious way. He wouldn’t come out of his trailer, and he would smoke weed all day. Which is fine with me, because I had all these DVDs that I wanted to catch up on. We were in Vancouver, and it was always raining. I kept the door to my trailer open to smell the evening rain while I was watching a movie. Then I remember one day on the set—they let everyone pick their own clothes—there was one black actor who was also kind of a club kid. And he wore this shirt with the word “Garbage” on it in big stylish letters. It was his shirt. And Wesley came down to the set, which he only did for close-ups. Everything else was done by his stand-in. I only did one scene with him. But he comes on and goes, “There’s only one other black guy in the movie, and you make him wear a shirt that says ‘Garbage?’ You racist *spoon*!”

And he tried to strangle the director, David Goyer. So later that night, Ron Perlman was in the city. Everyone who makes movies in Vancouver stays in the same hotel. It’s like an episode of The Love Boat. Every time the elevator stops, you’ve got a different celebrity getting on. Like, [announcer voice] “Hey, now we’ve got Danny Glover!” So we went out that night to some strip club, and we were all drinking. And there were a bunch of bikers there, so David says to them, “I’ll pay for all your drinks if you show up to set tomorrow and pretend to be my security.” Wesley freaked out and went back to his trailer. [Laughs.] And the next day, Wesley sat down with David and was like, “I think you need to quit. You’re detrimental to this movie.” And David was like, “Why don’t you quit? We’ve got all your close-ups, and we could shoot the rest with your stand-in.” And that freaked Wesley out so much that, for the rest of the production, he would only communicate with the director through Post-it notes. And he would sign each Post-it note “From Blade.” [Laughs.]

AVC: There’s a rumor that he tried to stay in character the entire shoot.

PO: Oh yeah, he did. When I met him I was like, “Hi!” And he was like, “I’m Blade.” And also, Natasha Lyonne was on that set, and she was going through some kind of mental breakdown. Wesley is all boundaries, and she has no boundaries. She played a blind computer expert. So the first scene they had together, she put her hand right on his face, and he just recoiled. It was awesome.

AVC: If you were trying to be in character all the time as a vampire killer, being high all the time might not help.

PO: A lot of the lines that Ryan Reynolds has were just a result of Wesley not being there. We would all just think of things for him to say and then cut to Wesley’s face not doing anything because that’s all we could get from him. It was kind of funny. We were like, “What are the worst jokes and puns that we can say to this guy?” And then it would just be his face going, “Mmm.” “Smiles are contagious.” It’s so, so dumb. [Laughs.] That was an example of a very troubled shoot that we made fun. You have to find a way to make it fun.

AVC: In a weird sort of way, it sounds like Wesley Snipes united the production against himself. Everyone had a common enemy.

PO: Everyone was just like, “This is going to be such a great story.” I’m in this business for two reasons: the money and the anecdotes. That’s all I want. I either want to do the best films or the worst films. I don’t want to do the “eh” film.

AVC: Well, the second Blade movie is great.

PO: Yeah, the first Blade is :censored:  genius. That, more than anything, is what really put forth the idea of vampires as exclusive, high-tier night-clubbers who are young and beautiful forever. They took that idea done clumsily in Lost Boys and really made it amazing.