• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Anyone Ever Done a Full Chronological Reading?

44 posts in this topic

With 'evergreen' characters I would think a massive chronological reading would just fall apart at some point.

Retcons, re-imaginings and character-evolution means you're suddenly not reading what you were reading, each time you hit where the gears shifted.

If you want some real fun, keep track of all references to time ("X happened two months ago", the passage of days in a single issue/storyline, etc.) and then add them all up at the end. :shy:

I grabbed most of those now out of print Marvel DVD-Roms over the years, and have at various times put them on my ipad and read through entire runs of Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man (including TOS), and Hulk (including TTA). It was a lot of fun! Until the 90s. lol

I'd read all the Spidey before because I have 99% of the books in hand, but the others I only had sporadic runs of, so it was really enjoyable.

Now with the calendar flip I'll probably start again.

Someone listed a reading order for No Man's Land in the 1000 Comics in 2014 thread. It got me thinking about doing a chronological reading of a massive Spidey event so I went looking for a reading list. I found this list:

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-book-reading-order/spider-man-read-order-chronology/

It got me thinking: Has anyone tried to read a list like this to its entirety? I have most of the issues in some form or another. I'd love to have every floppy, but I'm not there yet.

Anyone tried?

I might try it with just the silver age Marvel era from 1961 to 1969.

That would be my starting point, then take it from there.