• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Anyone Ever Done a Full Chronological Reading?

44 posts in this topic

Someone listed a reading order for No Man's Land in the 1000 Comics in 2014 thread. It got me thinking about doing a chronological reading of a massive Spidey event so I went looking for a reading list. I found this list:

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-book-reading-order/spider-man-read-order-chronology/

It got me thinking: Has anyone tried to read a list like this to its entirety? I have most of the issues in some form or another. I'd love to have every floppy, but I'm not there yet.

Anyone tried?

I read the entire Hulk run in order. I included Tales to Astonish 59-101, Hulk 102-474 and all annuals and tie ins, all appearances in other titles, and the Volume 2 run of Hulk 1-114ish before it became Incredible Hercules. All one shots as well.

I did it twice.

I'm not a big fan of crossovers...but I do love to read consecutive issues that go on for years or even decades. When I do read a crossover...I always go for the collected editions...makes it much easier.

But reading issue after issue of the same series is a lot more fun

If I go through my reading lists of the last 5 years and pick out the series where I read 50+ issues in one or more sittings I get these

Hellblazer 1-288

Tomb of Dracula 1-70

Starman 1-80

Fables 1-113

DMZ #1 - #72

Invincible 0-90

Hitman 1 - 60

Walking Dead 1-70

Marvel Team -up 1-98

The entire Lone Wolf & Cub Book series

Northlanders #1 - 47

Conan (Dark Horse) #1 - #50

Preacher 1-75

Transmetropolitan 1-60

Star Wars 1-50 (original series)

Thunderbolts 110-174

BPRD 1-60

The Dark Tower 1-78

Last year I read ASM #100 - #200.

Currently reading Captain America #200-#300

Longest run I ever read was Avengers 1 - 500...took me a few months but was well worth it.

This is the benefit of buying thousands and thousands of comics each year and not reading them. At some point you stop collection and then can start reading.

As a side note, since I've started reading my collection I've sold over 8000 comics because I didn't really like them that much after reading lol

Read all of Hellblazer and Swamp Thing up to the current Constantine, Justice League Dark and Swamp Thing New 52 titles earlier last year. Not as much direct crossover as the Spider titles are, but a lot of storylines do cross and feed into each other along with a few other titles. Probably around 600 issues in total, and was a lot of fun.

I've done the entire iron man run which included tos 39-99 and then iron man 1-current. I've also done amazing spider man which becomes a nightmare in the 90s because each arc runs through like 3-4 books.

I read the entire Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre series as it came out. Fantastic stuff

I wasn't even a Spectre fan. It was just that good.

Here are just a couple of articles talking about it

http://dogfoodforchairs.blogspot.com/2014/05/ostrander-and-mandrakes-spectre.html

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/02/08/comics-you-should-own-the-spectre/

With 'evergreen' characters I would think a massive chronological reading would just fall apart at some point.

Retcons, re-imaginings and character-evolution means you're suddenly not reading what you were reading, each time you hit where the gears shifted.

I did it with Spider-man and with all of the titles. It was awesome. The hard part was lining up all of the series so that I could read them the way they came out. It was easy at first when it was just Amazing, Web and Spectacular, but it got more difficult as more titles came and went. It was worth it though.

In 2014 I read all of the original GI Joe plus some. That includes 1-155 issues of the ARAH series. All 28 issues of the Special missions plus the year books. I read 23 issues of GIjoe origins as well as every issue of Cobra II. Then finished with 18 issues of GI Joe frontline and I am about to start reading GI Joe Americas elite as well as Showcase #'s 53 &54. That's about 200+ issues and it was a heck of a lot of fun. Well worth the time. Highly recommend it for anyone trying to understand a long running story line in the order it comes out.

I read a chronological run of all of X-23 appearances, which made me really like the character. Granted, it's a more modern run with lots of different writers, but you could really see how Marvel was behind X at the beginning and then she slowly faded away. Kind of sad to see it progress that way, but I'm sure many books read like that when you absorb the run from start to finish.

I did it with Spider-man and with all of the titles. It was awesome. The hard part was lining up all of the series so that I could read them the way they came out. It was easy at first when it was just Amazing, Web and Spectacular, but it got more difficult as more titles came and went. It was worth it though.

Did you see the list I linked? It gives you the order pretty nicely.

That is a great list! I didn't know that existed at the time so I had to figure it out on my own. lol First thing I did was go back and buy everything. After that, I would take out one year of all of the titles at a time, then organize them for reading. When I was done, I would file them back and move on to the next year. It was very interesting to read it this way after being out of comics for so long. I loved it!

Someone listed a reading order for No Man's Land in the 1000 Comics in 2014 thread. It got me thinking about doing a chronological reading of a massive Spidey event so I went looking for a reading list. I found this list:

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-book-reading-order/spider-man-read-order-chronology/

It got me thinking: Has anyone tried to read a list like this to its entirety? I have most of the issues in some form or another. I'd love to have every floppy, but I'm not there yet.

Anyone tried?

Incredible list! I'll be saving that for my retirement.

That is a great list! I didn't know that existed at the time so I had to figure it out on my own. lol First thing I did was go back and buy everything. After that, I would take out one year of all of the titles at a time, then organize them for reading. When I was done, I would file them back and move on to the next year. It was very interesting to read it this way after being out of comics for so long. I loved it!

Oh see the list I found gives it to you by story continuity. So it puts the Untold tales where they go in the early run too. I recently read Untold Tales and sort of wish I'd inserted them into their spot.

What you did sounds like a TON of work. Hats off to you.

I read the entire Hulk run in order. I included Tales to Astonish 59-101, Hulk 102-474 and all annuals and tie ins, all appearances in other titles, and the Volume 2 run of Hulk 1-114ish before it became Incredible Hercules. All one shots as well.

I did it twice.

:o

That would make Hulk's head hurt.

Not sure I could do it. Way too much drek in Web of Spidey and as much as I like Sal Buscema, his style on his later run on Spectacular is rough. And don't get me started on Larsen on ASM.