• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What trilogy was better? Classic Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

Best Trilogy.  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Best Trilogy.

111 posts in this topic

I keep seeing "groundbreaking" about STAR WARS. Could folks please explain the aspects that were groundbreaking?

well they did create a whole level of special effects with the first movie that did not exist before. technically "groundbreaking".

Did you see 2001: A SPACE ODDESY from 1968? Far more sophisticated effects (not sure what is so sophisticated about the SW effects) and even makeups. I'm sure Lucas was taking notes.

I keep seeing "groundbreaking" about STAR WARS. Could folks please explain the aspects that were groundbreaking?

well they did create a whole level of special effects with the first movie that did not exist before. technically "groundbreaking".

Did you see 2001: A SPACE ODDESY from 1968? Far more sophisticated effects (not sure what is so sophisticated about the SW effects) and even makeups. I'm sure Lucas was taking notes.

Did you see Star Wars from 1977? You are incorrect on the special effects, it is something you can easily find with a google search. I'm not going to waste time telling you the sky is purple with pink polka dots too, at some point you have to realize you are arguing against something that is common knowledge.

And Lucas was taking notes. He saw the mistakes other sci-fi movies made, where far too much time was spent on the backgrounds trying to impress (2001?). This is also in many interviews. Of course after he went off the deep end with the special editions he may have changed his mind.

I don't want to "find it with a google search". I want folks here to use their actual experience and perception, who keep saying STAR WARS is groundbreaking", to explain why. That is not too difficult to understand. Are you actually using a google search to support what should be an opinion (and this IS an opinion question) that SW is superior with FX?

Maybe it is because of my age. I was in my later 20s early 30s when I saw the SW films first run. But I DID roll my eyes and torque my shoulders when Yoda started dispensing his wisdom. Master Po in the 1972 KUNG FU series would have blown Yoda away in a discussion on spirituality (aka THE FORCE).

And have you seen any Kurasawa's, especially RAN? Again I think Lucas was watching here when it comes to battles for good and against treachery.

I'm talking purely from my watching experiences.

..... we're talking preference..... which rarely achieves 100 % concensus...... and I am admittedly torn between the two on various fronts. At he time the FX of SW totally blew me away.... I watched it 3 times the first week. That move had a profound effect on me... it changed me...... however...... the FX in LOTR were stunning, majestic..... raising the bar once again. I :cloud9: both. In all honesty, for me, despite the reverence I have for both films, the FX in Avatar are my all time favorite treatment...... for now. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... Kung Fu :cloud9::cloud9:

..... we're talking preference..... which rarely achieves 100 % concensus...... and I am admittedly torn between the two on various fronts. At he time the FX of SW totally blew me away.... I watched it 3 times the first week. That move had a profound effect on me... it changed me...... however...... the FX in LOTR were stunning, majestic..... raising the bar once again. I :cloud9: both. In all honesty, for me, despite the reverence I have for both films, the FX in Avatar are my all time favorite treatment...... for now. GOD BLESS...

Hail jimjum! :) Preferences is why I closed with "I'm talking purely form my watching experiences."

I took umbrage about a google search for which is better in FX (shrug) . It seems quite contrary to the original post. I just did a google search on "star wars fx vs 2001 a space odyssey fx" and saw 886,000 returns. I just stopped after that (but noted some interesting things even in the first page). Have to wonder how far the google search suggestor made it through those 886,000 returns before formulating a personal opinion. ::sigh::

PS - so happy to see the KUNG FU appreciation!

Hail jimjum! :) Preferences is why I closed with "I'm talking purely form my watching experiences."

I took umbrage about a google search for which is better in FX (shrug) . It seems quite contrary to the original post. I just did a google search on "star wars fx vs 2001 a space odyssey fx" and saw 886,000 returns. I just stopped after that (but noted some interesting things even in the first page). Have to wonder how far the google search suggestor made it through those 886,000 returns before formulating a personal opinion. ::sigh::

...... Kung Fu also changed me...... that show was a work of art..... I still tell new guys at work, "When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshoppa..... " and they look at me like WTF .....GOD BLESS....

I thought the standing argument between 2001 SA and Star Wars is that 2001 mastered technology and model techniques that had been long used standard, while Star Wars was the first to try the old style, new computer technology and unusual camera techniques to achieve what they did?

I thought the standing argument between 2001 SA and Star Wars is that 2001 mastered technology and model techniques that had been long used standard, while Star Wars was the first to try the old style, new computer technology and unusual camera techniques to achieve what they did?

That is something SW tried to do, but at least in my opinion, the outcome was sometimes less than desirable. Again, I love SW but the story I enjoyed much more than the FX. Maybe it has to do with my age.

When I think of Star Wars, it is not the FX that wows me, it is the universe and characters created that do that.

I definitely agree. I got SW on laserdisc when it fist came out in that format. Watched it many times and the FX, while good for the time, certainly had some flaws and even outright bad places. But yes, the story and characters were what really drew me in. As far as that goes I think the first (IV) was superior amoung the SW trilogy for the introduction and integration of the characters..

I always thought Planet of Apes 1968 would be a better match for 2001 A Space Odyssey for FX comparison because they both came out in the same time period, where as Star Wars was almost a decade later.

Planet of Apes 1968 did have some groundbreaking FX that people at the time went bananas over.