• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery Men #12 and #20 just posted. Very Rare Golden age!

5 posts in this topic

I just added some very nice books! Golden, SIlver and Bronze Age.

They range from CGC NM 7.5 to NM/M 9.8.

Take a look by clicking on the RECENT ADDITIONS button.

Here are a few:

Mystery Men Comics #12 and #20 both CGC 7.5 - Highest CGC grades

Green Lantern #40 CGC NM/M 9.8 - World's BEST copy!

Detective Comics #117 CGC 9.6 - Incredible!

Marvel Mystery #11 CGC 9.2 - Fantastic Human Torch cover! The BEST!

Flash Comics #31 CGC 9.2 - Awesome Dinosaur cover! - The BEST!

Superboy #118 CGC 9.6- The BEST!

A nice group of high grade DC's - all in CGC 9.4 - 9.8!

And many more

I will be adding books to the website on a regular basis, generally every two days, so please check back often! Otherwise you may miss some great issues!

Mark

PGC Mint web page

The cover to Mystery Men #12 is an exceptional work by Joe Simon. A scantly clad babe being whipped by a brutal fiend and the Blue Beetle jumping in to save the day!

Many of the old time collectors know the name of Joe Simon quite well, as he teamed up with a young Jack Kirby to produce some of the most eye poping covers (and interior art) of the Golden age era. These two had worked together on several projects but it was with the creation of Captain America (1941) that their artisic and story telling abilities harmonized and jelled. The first ten issues of Captain America Comics, from cover to cover, were among the greatest comic books ever published during that early period in comic book history.

This early solo work by Mr. Simon predates their work on Captain America by nearly a year

I have included a download of the cover for you to look at.

Mark

694681-MysteryMenComics12CGC75.jpeg.dc6835e398077982d162e238365cadef.jpeg

Mark, the background info on GA books is very interesting as I am still learning the history.Keep the stories coming!!

Hi Bob

I am glad you liked that little bit of history.

To me, the historical side of collecting is very important. I agree with you and should write more often but there are MANY in our hobby who have tremendous knowledge about the early years of our hobby, far more knowledgable than I am BUT I will make an attempt every now and then.

I give very high praise to the Simon and Kirby Captain America's (and I don't have a single copy to sell) because they were VERY well written and artistically rendered for their time. Very advanced compared to other comic book stories of their day.

Mark

Yes, the early issues of Captain America #1 - #10 were reprinted in a two volume Hardbound set. They are an excellent read and I would encourage you to purchace them. Perhaps someone on the Boards knows where to get a set?

Mark