• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to press out a spine roll

81 posts in this topic

While it does seem to be ahigh temp even for pressing, paper won't catch fire at 200°F, and I am not sure whether it would even darken.

I have an oven that actually goes down to 150°F, maybe I will try an experiment...

hm

-slym

Here's my good deed for the day............

...then press the entire book out @ around 200 degrees for 45 minutes., then call 911 as the house will begin to catch on fire

Fixed

Are we talking about pressing comics or baking a Stouffer's French Bread Pizza? (shrug)

:roflmao:

While it does seem to be ahigh temp even for pressing, paper won't catch fire at 200°F, and I am not sure whether it would even darken.

I have an oven that actually goes down to 150°F, maybe I will try an experiment...

hm

-slym

experiment #1:

2 cookie sheets

2 pieces of silicone release paper

1 wrinkled comic book

yesterdays leftover roast beef

pre-heat over to 150F

place 1st cookie sheet on oven rack

add silicone release paper, comic book, then the 2nd silicone release paper

top that off with the 2nd cookie sheet inside the first one.

Next, top it all off with last nights leftover roast beef. (Thanksgiving turkey is better as it adds more weight, but use what you have)

In theory this could work, (yea right) as you will have heat, pressure, AND humidity all at the same time. Talk about a time saver :o

Oh, I just meant that I was thinking about seeing what 200°F heat would do to comic-book paper. I would never try to press anything at home.

OK, I take that back. I had a slightly water-damaged comic wayyy back in the day that I left under a large stack of books (encyclopedias & atlases, at least 50 pounds of books) that, after almost a year of me forgetting about it, looked slightly better upon removing it from under the stack than when it started. Slightly.

:D

-slym

hm

-slym

experiment #1:

2 cookie sheets

2 pieces of silicone release paper

1 wrinkled comic book

yesterdays leftover roast beef

pre-heat over to 150F

place 1st cookie sheet on oven rack

add silicone release paper, comic book, then the 2nd silicone release paper

top that off with the 2nd cookie sheet inside the first one.

Next, top it all off with last nights leftover roast beef. (Thanksgiving turkey is better as it adds more weight, but use what you have)

In theory this could work, (yea right) as you will have heat, pressure, AND humidity all at the same time. Talk about a time saver :o

Even if you screw up the book...you will still have some hot roast beef. :cloud9:

For the record, I am not against pressing. I am against BAD pressing. I think the results of this thread points out how risky DIY pressing can be. It's obviously more than simply buying a machine and having at it. There is a skillset required. IMO, threads like this where we attempt to exchange recipes is a bad idea. Sorry.

Bomber Bob, I completely agree.

Given that the book in hand is a lower/mid grade silver age , the method I outlined (if performed carefully) will not lower the grade of the book.

I would have to disagree. Maybe not immediately, but over time it will.

Bomber Bob, I completely agree.

Given that the book in hand is a lower/mid grade silver age , the method I outlined (if performed carefully) will not lower the grade of the book.

I would have to disagree. Maybe not immediately, but over time it will.

Squared.

I have seen many techniques that trade a defect that is deducted from the grade, for one that is not.

I was just about to give a good example, but I don't want to make the same mistake as Copper, and give people any ideas on how to get grade bumps doing things the wrong way.

Makes me think of that song from Sublime.

A cigarette pressed between her lips

But I'm staring at her &%$!

It's the wrong way

I see what you're getting at, regarding paper memory and I am in agreement with you.

I am not suggesting the structural integrity of the spine being compromised by pressing an iron over the spine and then putting the book onto a press for a quick fix.if that were to be done....sure, it would give the book a cosmetic improvement but doing so would certainly degrade the book over time as the spine would be compromised by the force (bending/folding) the spine.

I was, and would suggest,an iron to be lightly applied(as in barely touching ) the spine, allowing the heat only (no force being applied) to act as a humidifying agent, allowing the spine to be reset *without* folding the spine before putting the book into the press itself.

Of course, the ideal (and easier) way to go about all of this would be to use a humidifying chamber and then press the book but it sounds like the original poster does not have such a chamber.