• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to press out a spine roll

81 posts in this topic

This thread is scary and entertaining at the same time.

it would be nice if people who do know what they are doing would chime in when information that could damage / ruin a book is cited as a technique to be used.

And outside of a few well known and respected pressers how is anyone supposed to ascertain the person chiming in 'knows what they are doing' ? Many claim to know what they are doing but probably do not. Let's give the professional presser a little more respect and admit it is not the kind of knowledge that is easily learned on the internet.

I am not disagreeing with you, but it has become very obvious that there are many people out there who are pressing books. A lot more than I had thought. Perhaps this has always been the case and people are now just more open to admit they do it, but I get the feeling that a lot of "newcomers" are pressing books and that they may not really know what they are doing.

As it stand now, there are maybe three or four people who post here whom I would be inclined to listen to if they post information (Joeypost, Mastercntprogram (sp?), Ze-man, and if he posts here, Tracy Heft). Others will have to earn the respect of being listened to,

I'm interested in how and why to humidify. The only thing I know about it is what I've seen in that trailer for the Restoring Comics DVD. The video can be seen here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7552131

I'll include a screen cap. I assume they just pour boiling or hot water in the tub, and maybe put a lid on, or maybe not. No idea how long, what to look for, etc. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

152314.jpg.dc46744fb2ad36ed0f920fb0c176be39.jpg

I'm interested in how and why to humidify. The only thing I know about it is what I've seen in that trailer for the Restoring Comics DVD. The video can be seen here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7552131

I'll include a screen cap. I assume they just pour boiling or hot water in the tub, and maybe put a lid on, or maybe not. No idea how long, what to look for, etc. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

If you read that thread you see a Professional Presser state...." DON'T DO THIS !" , "It's a money grab" I would stick to that advice .

I see what you're getting at, regarding paper memory and I am in agreement with you.

I am not suggesting the structural integrity of the spine being compromised by pressing an iron over the spine and then putting the book onto a press for a quick fix.if that were to be done....sure, it would give the book a cosmetic improvement but doing so would certainly degrade the book over time as the spine would be compromised by the force (bending/folding) the spine.

I was, and would suggest,an iron to be lightly applied(as in barely touching ) the spine, allowing the heat only (no force being applied) to act as a humidifying agent, allowing the spine to be reset *without* folding the spine before putting the book into the press itself.

Of course, the ideal (and easier) way to go about all of this would be to use a humidifying chamber and then press the book but it sounds like the original poster does not have such a chamber.

This is the last post I will make on the subject. What you have offered as advice is dangerous. What the OP is doing is dangerous.

I think what Joey is trying to tell you is that what you are doing is wrong in every aspect and because you don't have a clue and then offering advice to people who might not know better.

Back away from the press Good Sir :foryou:

Jim

I should blindly accept what Joeypost states, without any supporting basis...other than what myself and the original poster is offering advice on and performing is "dangerous"?

That is hardly commendable.While you may believe your comment to laudable, it is nothing more than a flagrant display of your ignorance.

I do not mean that as an insult so please do not take offense and instead, consider that Joey has an interest in *not* giving away his pressing techniques.

For a well worn book from the 60's, which will be much more resistant to pressing than a new book with a freshly bent corner, you'll need more time and heat/pressure than usual.

Joey also has an interest in maintaining the integrity of the hobby. Like a kid with a gun some wield what little knowledge or power they posess with often devastating results to not only their own books, but the books of friends who put faith in their undercooked abilities.

When I read threads like this one, it just rips at my soul. What I mean by that is I am conflicted what to say, if anything when topics like this come up. It’s funny; I can still remember what it was like, wanting others to help me get the skills I needed, and not getting it.

Part of me wants to immediately say hey, you’re doing it wrong, and here is the right way, because I am not just doing pressing and restoration because I need to earn a living, but also because I care very much for the comics themselves.

The problem with helping others press right, is I am taking food off my plate and other professionals when I do that, no good deed goes unpunished and all that. That doesn’t mean I am not a charitable guy, but I can only give so much. So, when I do decide to share, it is with someone I have a relationship with, not a complete stranger. I can’t count how many complete strangers want me to just hand over what took me years of 100% dedication learning so I can do what I love for a living.

In the end, there are really only two kinds of pressers, professionals, and hobbyist. The problem with being a pressing hobbyist is it takes dedication and time to press right, I mean really right, and most hobbyists don’t have that much time or patience. Heck even us pros are still learning new things all the time, it is never ending education across 75 years of different kinds of books.

Here is the way I look at it, we all want to do a little DYI, it feels good and I get that, but I know when it is best to pay a pro, and work it off doing what I do for a living, than to take on something that is not straight forward, and is going to cause more harm than good, while using up valuable time that could be spent elsewhere.

That being said, here is a tip for those of you that are going to try and press anyways. Do less talking, and more listening. If someone tells you that is too long, or too high, listen! Don’t, and in the end it is the books that suffers, and the collectors who end up with them.

:(

End of Line.....

I, for one, understand why a professional presser will not disclose any of their techniques. It makes perfect sense to me, and I don't blame them in the slightest.

I'm very interested in learning to press some of my own comics. Unfortunately, there isn't a course I can take, nor is there anyone that is interested in sharing any tips.

If someone told me that I should just call a tow truck when I get a flat, or that I should take my car in to the shop every time something goes wrong, I would laugh at them. I'm not saying that everyone should learn to change a flat, or replace their own brakes, etc. But if you want to be able to do it yourself, you would have to learn. It's obviously easier and safer if someone could show you, but if no one wants to show you, then you either figure it out yourself, or you don't do it.

I have ordered some silicone release paper online, and when it gets here, I do plan on trying it out. I'm sure there are a ton of people out there pressing their own comics in secrecy. I don't feel the need to keep it a secret, as I wouldn't have a problem disclosing what was pressed and what wasn't. All it takes is a sticker on the bag to remind yourself what you pressed.

But I will take a sharpie, and write down "PRESSED" on the back of every comic I bugger up and give away. This way if they are ever worth any real money in the future, the potential owner will know that it has been pressed :)

How's that for disclosure lol

I, for one, understand why a professional presser will not disclose any of their techniques. It makes perfect sense to me, and I don't blame them in the slightest.

I'm very interested in learning to press some of my own comics. Unfortunately, there isn't a course I can take, nor is there anyone that is interested in sharing any tips.

If someone told me that I should just call a tow truck when I get a flat, or that I should take my car in to the shop every time something goes wrong, I would laugh at them. I'm not saying that everyone should learn to change a flat, or replace their own brakes, etc. But if you want to be able to do it yourself, you would have to learn. It's obviously easier and safer if someone could show you, but if no one wants to show you, then you either figure it out yourself, or you don't do it.

I have ordered some silicone release paper online, and when it gets here, I do plan on trying it out. I'm sure there are a ton of people out there pressing their own comics in secrecy. I don't feel the need to keep it a secret, as I wouldn't have a problem disclosing what was pressed and what wasn't. All it takes is a sticker on the bag to remind yourself what you pressed.

But I will take a sharpie, and write down "PRESSED" on the back of every comic I bugger up and give away. This way if they are ever worth any real money in the future, the potential owner will know that it has been pressed :)

How's that for disclosure lol

Got $1,500? http://www.comicpressing.com/learn-to-press.php

I've been pressing between 150 and 180 degrees. Mostly, I get the press up to 150, put the comic in, and just turn it off. This seems to do 90-99% of what pressing alone will do. Hotter and longer doesn't seem to do much, and I imagine it's easier on the paper. I think some humidity is needed to go to the next level. I guess I'll have to figure it out and be the person to tell everyone.

The advice of "you may do it wrong, so I'll tell you nothing but just criticize" is pretty annoying. To hopefully get some cooler people on the right track so we can discuss this as adults, people should start searching their local craigslist for "dry mount press". An old one costs between 50 and 100 dollars. Press a cheap comic as described above for practice, and you will be very impressed.

Got $1,500? http://www.comicpressing.com/learn-to-press.php

I don't think I'd pay that much for an 8 hour course of anything. lol Hard to believe that someone could learn to press properly in just 8 hours. ;)

I'm not looking to go into business with these skills, no more than I used my auto mechanics course to get a job.

Thanks for the link though :)

The advice of "you may do it wrong, so I'll tell you nothing but just criticize" is pretty annoying.

So, too, is it annoying that practically every high grade comic coming to market, and virtually every key, has been manipulated to reach its assigned grade. Those of us who appreciate the magic behind an exceptionally preserved old comic book existing in the state it was left by its original owner don't want to see each and every book for sale be manipulated.

It's also annoying how many defects pressing can produce, and how some of them are essentially ignored by CGC. Waves, horizontal color-breaking creases, shrunken covers, impacted staples, fuzzy staple holes, crushed spines, runny ink arrival dates, unnaturally flattened and the like aren't all that hard to identify. Even the seasoned pros who for the most part avoid introducing these many defects admit that not every comic comes out of the process unscathed. With so many relative novices jumping on the bandwagon, the number of books that will pick up defects from the manipulation process has only been increasing.

If you must press, send your valuable books to those highly experienced in the art. And when deciding what to send, please remember that some collectors will be a premium for a beautifully preserved unpressed book in its natural state. The long-term viability of the hobby may benefit from the continued availability of unpressed comics.

I don't think I'd pay that much for an 8 hour course of anything. lol Hard to believe that someone could learn to press properly in just 8 hours. ;)

I'm not looking to go into business with these skills, no more than I used my auto mechanics course to get a job.

Thanks for the link though :)

This is a board member.

Here's a description of humidifying that sounds pretty simple. From here: http://book-repair.com/category/book-repair-basics/

"A simple but effective humidifier can be constructed out of two plastic garbage cans. The materials in the humidifier will absorb moisture without ever coming in direct contact with the water.

Place the materials to be flattened in a small garbage can.

Pour about 3 – 4” of water into a large plastic garbage can and place the small plastic garbage can in the water. Hot water will work a little faster than cold. To increase the speed with which the materials absorb the moisture in the humidifier, moisten two pieces of blotter paper and clip them to each side of the small garbage can. Damp blotters act as a sponge, raising the moisture level inside the container so the paper absorbs the moisture faster."

Plastic totes could be substituted, since garbage cans seem odd. Amazon has hygrometers for 5 bucks and up, so you could be a little scientific about it, doing it for X humidity and Y hours.

check out my daughter's "Handy Press" hahaha

She's taking sewing and wanted mom to get her a few things.

Thought this was kind of funny. (sorry if you don't) :D

7Empe4Y.jpg

I have OCD when it comes to wrinkles in my comics and have no issue with squishin a comic (provided its not damaged). I remember when I was a youngin and had huge stacks of books on a comic to get the wrinkles out (who knew it would become such a hot topic). So in order to properly press a book, I encourage an open discussion about it. I have to admit I've tried it on a couple of books. One with great results and another with pancake results.

Also, that is kind of funny. lol

With all due respect, Sir, you should spend a bit more time here before determining who is helpful and who is tight lipped. Two of the pros on this thread are extremely generous with their information, but like any brotherhood of men, you will have to pay your dues and put your time in before the information you need is gift wrapped and handed to you. Hence my suggestion to go read what has been written in the past.

As far as your current experiments I will tell you this with every bit of confidence. You are off with both time and temperature.

Point understood but honestly, I have been in this hobby for over 25 years and I know all too well what goes around and comes around.

I am not disparaging Joey in anyway,either.I would not expect someone who presses books for a living to flippantly reveal his techniques on a message board.

For a higher grade book, 200 degrees and 45 minutes would be well off.

I have pressed out low/midgrade silver books with spine + water damage, like the Brave and Bold pictured, with success.

As a courtesy, here is where I learned my techniques, in addition to trial and error.....

http://www.academia.edu/6646202/The_conservation_and_display_of_comic_books

Are you the same dude who said you have no problem picking out copper 9.9's?

If so, you're easily one of the most entertaining newbs I've seen since I arrived (thumbs u

The advice of "you may do it wrong, so I'll tell you nothing but just criticize" is pretty annoying.

So, too, is it annoying that practically every high grade comic coming to market, and virtually every key, has been manipulated to reach its assigned grade. Those of us who appreciate the magic behind an exceptionally preserved old comic book existing in the state it was left by its original owner don't want to see each and every book for sale be manipulated.

It's also annoying how many defects pressing can produce, and how some of them are essentially ignored by CGC. Waves, horizontal color-breaking creases, shrunken covers, impacted staples, fuzzy staple holes, crushed spines, runny ink arrival dates, unnaturally flattened and the like aren't all that hard to identify. Even the seasoned pros who for the most part avoid introducing these many defects admit that not every comic comes out of the process unscathed. With so many relative novices jumping on the bandwagon, the number of books that will pick up defects from the manipulation process has only been increasing.

If you must press, send your valuable books to those highly experienced in the art. And when deciding what to send, please remember that some collectors will be a premium for a beautifully preserved unpressed book in its natural state. The long-term viability of the hobby may benefit from the continued availability of unpressed comics.

Great post Bob, which naturally gets ignored by this crowd. I hope the market will eventually reward originality, besides being a candidate for a CPR.

Great post Bob, which naturally gets ignored by this crowd. I hope the market will eventually reward originality, besides being a candidate for a CPR.

These "defects"dismay me to no end,and im scared to see what some of the long term effects will be.After say 10,15,20 years...what will happen when and if these comics are broken out of cases,or what will we see while inside.Some of these GA books that have made it along just fine all this time..to have these things done to them,,, I just..I get ill.Hopefully the NOD is still on it.

These "defects"dismay me to no end,and im scared to see what some of the long term effects will be.After say 10,15,20 years...what will happen when and if these comics are broken out of cases,or what will we see while inside.Some of these GA books that have made it along just fine all this time..to have these things done to them,,, I just..I get ill.Hopefully the NOD is still on it.

In an example like this, where the OP wants to realign the spine, I do believe the long term effect will be the memory of the old spine will come back. First hand, I have witnessed the memory of spine creases come back. I had a nice key, graded 8.0, put away in my Bank Vault for a year. When I went to visit the book the spine now had numerous creases and the book looked like a 7.0 . Sure the book is still an 8.0, as long as it remains in the slab, but to me as a collector, it's not the book I paid for. Pressing light folds is fine but realigning a spine or uber pressing a spine tick is pushing the boundaries.