• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Facebook Comic Group absurdity thread

61 posts in this topic

Facebook has officially overtaken eBay, craigslist, and pretty much all free online listing sites combined in terms of C2C trading/buying/selling. It may not be the ideal venue for most, but it is unmistakeably becoming a hidden gem for collectors to seek out collectibles.

Since joining a handful of groups, I've quickly realized the eBay and craigslists threads also have some serious competition in terms of absurd, inane and badly misinformed FS/FT listings.

The following is an example of a comic group intended to bypass auction listings, and shows one of the sellers (who is also an admin for another comic group) misrepresenting a bound volume of New Mutant issues 86-100.

Yesterday, I caught this person suggesting the book could be unbound, pressed, and hit as high as an 8.0 grade if submitted. I politely reached out and told him the glue on the binding, combined with the trimmed edges, would surely make the exercise of separating the single issues futile.

He acted indignantly towards any suggestion opposing his opinion, deleted the thread (which had numerous other people remarking he was being dishonest), and started another, spreading the same false claims. Below is a screen capture of the thread taken shortly after my last response in the group.

While this is one of the more egregious examples of misrepresentation in a Facebook comic group, as it involves an admin of a Facebook comic group actually undertaking in the activity, and the other admin's coming to the sellers defence, I thought I would start a catch-all thread to demonstrate how Facebook groups have become the new black for absurdity. Unfortunately, this group is "closed" which makes it easier for this kind of thing to go unnoticed:

Nick_CABS.jpg

It's about time this thread happened.

These Facebook groups are a magnet for Mongrel insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

Also, 90% of posts are people with stray, FN issues of Power Pack and Excalibur looking to trade for only 3 things. Exclusively.

1. Deadpool

2. Harley Quinn

3. Mint Keys.

A lot of these Facebook comics groups are wack but I have made a couple of good buys/trades on them. Like any other source you just need time and patience to sift through the rubbage. As far as selling? That experiment was fruitless for me, everyone either lowballs or wants to trade you 90's comics or moderns for what you have.

I had the same issue on Sunday. An admin for one of those groups posted a Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe 2008 printing, but represented it as the 1999 printing. Asked $35 for a $3 comic and became indignant when I posted the difference in value between the two, claiming I was slamming his sale. I've have a couple sales go very well, and some buys go very well, but the number of group members wanting keys for is ridiculous.

Thanks for sharing the stories Flatliner1313 and Diamonddave (thumbs u

Just a quick update, the admin for the group contacted me, reassuring me the seller has been notified, and told the following:

"I do agree with Joe My suggestions are this: 1. you can just take the book down and not sell it here to avoid any future troubles or 2. you can add a disclaimer to the book that lets the buyer know that if the book is unbound and sent for grading that it would come back as restored."

I have had similar stuff. My favourite is "NM" condition and you can see a huge colour breaking crease across 1/3rd of the cover or similar when you ask/point it out they are quick to claim it has all the pages and no tape so its NM.

The best is posting a key and the first 5 comments will be:

Trade?

Do you trade?

I have this want to trade?

are you trading?

I have like 20 books I would trade you for this!

A lot of these Facebook comics groups are wack but I have made a couple of good buys/trades on them. Like any other source you just need time and patience to sift through the rubbage. As far as selling? That experiment was fruitless for me, everyone either lowballs or wants to trade you 90's comics or moderns for what you have.

I'm on a few and agree with you. Haven't tried to sell anything, but have bought a few things and everything went smooth enough.

There is a lot of junk to wade through though.

I tried to make a trade with a guy for an ASM361 awhile back that was pointless. He posted the book and said taking offers/trades. I asked him what he was looking for and the response was "Keys".

What "keys" are you going to get for that book? Need to be a little more specific.

Another group I'm on is a real trip. People post up some real "interesting" stuff; slabbed Byrne-era Xmen in the 5-8.0 range. :facepalm: I asked why do you get those graded and one response was "my business model is to grade everything". Last week he just posted that he's selling his entire collection because the dealer thing "just isn't working out". No kidding, you've got tons of $$ tied up in grading fees that you have no chance of recouping.

All of these stories are gold so far.

They also mirror my experiences.

Facebook can quickly lower your opinion of the human race.

Not just because of these comic groups, but overall.

^^