• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPC codes for copper comics...

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, was wondering if there is a preference among collector's for the Spidey UPC code or the regular bar code? I know one was direct sales and the other newsstand. Does one command a higher premium over the other or are they considered equally collectible?

This topic comes up with some frequency. There are those who believe newsstands hold more value, some say there's no difference, while others believe newsstand keys hold a slight premium over their direct market counterparts. Some don't like the barcode if their other books are direct as they want all the books in a run to match. Generally newsstand books from the late 90's onward are harder to find in higher grades, but I don't believe the hobby has reached a consensus on a preference of direct vs. UPC.

This topic comes up with some frequency. There are those who believe newsstands hold more value, some say there's no difference, while others believe newsstand keys hold a slight premium over their direct market counterparts. Some don't like the barcode if their other books are direct as they want all the books in a run to match. Generally newsstand books from the late 90's onward are harder to find in higher grades, but I don't believe the hobby has reached a consensus on a preference of direct vs. UPC.

Gotcha, my question came up because I was looking to pick up a Spider-Man #252 CGC. So the Spidey logo would expect to fetch around the same price as a bar code copy at this time?

Gotcha, my question came up because I was looking to pick up a Spider-Man #252 CGC. So the Spidey logo would expect to fetch around the same price as a bar code copy at this time?

More important than the bar code is the centering of the book. I see books all the time on eBay that are 9.6 sell for less than other 9.6 copies simply because they are not centered or have a huge "gutter" of white on the left hand side.

With that said, look at what CGC copies sell for on eBay for bar code and no bar code issues. I suspect a bar code issue does have a slight premium, but I'm basing that on books I pursue.

Hi everyone, was wondering if there is a preference among collector's for the Spidey UPC code or the regular bar code? I know one was direct sales and the other newsstand. Does one command a higher premium over the other or are they considered equally collectible?

No difference. (thumbs u

-J.

No difference. (thumbs u

-J.

What about PQ?

I think in general, no difference. In the case of keys in high grade, there can be some premium for newsstand.

I would suggest looking at finished/sold sales for ASM 252 CGC to see and plot your own data points to see if there's any difference in prices for newsstand vs direct.

No difference. (thumbs u

-J.

What about PQ?

lol No difference there either.

-J.

No difference. (thumbs u

-J.

What about PQ?

-J.

is PQ page quality? I would say that most people prefer white to cream, and will pay more for it. The difference will be most noticeable at high grades. if you're buying a ASM 252 CGC 9.8 White vs a CGC 9.8 Off-White, most will want to pay less for the off-white.

No difference. (thumbs u

-J.

What about PQ?

-J.

is PQ page quality? I would say that most people prefer white to cream, and will pay more for it. The difference will be most noticeable at high grades. if you're buying a ASM 252 CGC 9.8 White vs a CGC 9.8 Off-White, most will want to pay less for the off-white.

lol It's an inside joke from another thread. Yes, absolutely in the Copper Age, a "Cr/Ow" designation on a label is definitely going to raise some eyebrows.

-J.

I think in general, no difference. In the case of keys in high grade, there can be some premium for newsstand.

I would suggest looking at finished/sold sales for ASM 252 CGC to see and plot your own data points to see if there's any difference in prices for newsstand vs direct.

Thanks, good advice (thumbs u

The only newsstand book that I have seen people paying quite a bit extra for is ASM #300 in CGC 9.8.

Of the 9514 graded copies, there are only 665 that are graded 9.8. Since CGC does not designate newsstand vs direct, it is hard to tell how many newsstands are graded 9.8, but I like to believe the number of newsstand 9.8s is much smaller than the number of direct copies graded 9.8.

This may have happened with other books, but I haven't paid as much attention to other books as I have to ASM #300.

The only newsstand book that I have seen people paying quite a bit extra for is ASM #300 in CGC 9.8.

Of the 9514 graded copies, there are only 665 that are graded 9.8. Since CGC does not designate newsstand vs direct, it is hard to tell how many newsstands are graded 9.8, but I like to believe the number of newsstand 9.8s is much smaller than the number of direct copies graded 9.8.

This may have happened with other books, but I haven't paid as much attention to other books as I have to ASM #300.

Really? I don't see it there either.... (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-CGC-9-8-1ST-FULL-VENOM-WHITE-PAGES-COPPER-AGE-/371193888770?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item566ce14002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Virtually-Flawless-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-88-CGC-9-8-NM-M-1st-Venom-/151487185462?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2345570236

-J.

Really? I don't see it there either.... (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-CGC-9-8-1ST-FULL-VENOM-WHITE-PAGES-COPPER-AGE-/371193888770?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item566ce14002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Virtually-Flawless-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-88-CGC-9-8-NM-M-1st-Venom-/151487185462?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2345570236

-J.

hm You might be right then. This is the one that stood out to me. Granted, it was from this summer and prices have picked up for this book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111407888338?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

The listing was for a newsstand copy. Below were the sales before and after, which is why it stuck out to me.

Aug-06-2014 $979

Aug-06-2014 $975

Jul-24-2014 $1,030

Jul-20-2014 $1,358

Jul-13-2014 $876

Jul-03-2014 $900

Jun-19-2014 $870

Jun-17-2014 $925

I am in no way arguing that a newstand copy should command more money, I was simply pointing out to the OP that I have noticed it happening with one book while providing a possible explanation.