• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changing of comic bags and storage options

28 posts in this topic

If my girlfriend ever asked to choose between her or my collection, I'd sell it for every penny I could get. But, luckily, she supports my choice of a hobby.

If my GF gave me that choice I'd dump her and just stick with my wife. sumo.gif

36_11_6.gif Now that was damn funny.....

Your right on DD, I keep my comic room at 69-71 degrees(i install zone h/ac, so each room can be maintained, and keep a humidifier at about 40%. The poly bags tend to hold up much better when these practices are applied, however, if kept in a closet that changes temp(no air duct in it) the poly bags will cloud up in about 3 yrs.

You need to remember that Bronze Age and older comics are for the most part printed on rag paper that will react with various polys quite different than the newer papers.I've handled hundreds of thousands of comics over the years and really have not come across all that many that have been damaged by staying in a bag too long.Bags do age very differently. I've seen bags that were first used at the same time look quite different after a few years.

Biggest difference seems to be that poly bags

allow moisture to seep in and mylars don't.

IMHO,the best product available at a reasonable price is Gerbers Mylite2s,which cost about $20 a hundred.I've been buying 200or300 a month for a few months and in a few years will have all my pre-moderns in them.

Yes, the mylite 2 is a great bag, but I've seen ploys from uncontrolled evirons and controlled. A controlled environ will add 4 to 5 times the life of a poly. Higher temps will activate the acids, where as colder will help stabalize it some. Humidity is another factor(as mentioned), and will hamper the long term life of a polybag. The colder and drier the better for the ploybag. My golden rule for the polybag set-change them every 5 yrs, or the next re BnB switch to the mylar and be done with it, thumbsup2.gif

By the way, to those of you that somehow managed to combine your comic collecting with the women in your life bravo. Please let me in on how you did it.

I am afraid I had to choose between mine a few years ago..

Heheh

Artboy99

I really, really, really hope you're joking.

If my girlfriend ever asked to choose between her or my collection, I'd sell it for every penny I could get. But, luckily, she supports my choice of a hobby.

Well, that is the real trick isnt it?

I personally wasnt joking. I left her because she was a self centered b**ch that cared only for things she was interested in, and any of my own interests didnt matter. It wasnt just comic collecting, it was that anything I did in general wasnt to her liking.

But it is comical to word it that I chose my comics over her.

smile.gif

Thanks for asking.

Artboy99

I just make it a habit to change the bag before I sell the comic. Makes it seem like I care. thumbsup2.gif

Did you read those Spideys yet, Brian? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, but I did put them in new bags and boards! I started reading the run (227 - 248) a couple days ago. At my current rate I should hit 238 late this week.