• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Traveling with OA?

7 posts in this topic

What's everyone's preferred method of traveling with OA?

Typically anything I've bought was either at a local convention or from a dealer who shipped directly to me, but that'll be changing this year as I'm attending some shows that'll necessitate a flight home. Never had to deal with traveling with OA I've bought at a remote convention.

Anyone have any tips or tricks they'd recommend? The thought of checking a bag and leaving it up to the TSA scares me, carry-on seems unwieldy and impractical, as does stopping by the local UPS store and hoping it shows up after I depart the show.

And if there's any prior threads on this, appreciate a point in the right direction. Did some digging through the search function and largely came up empty.

I've carried a portfolio on a number of times and never had any issues. Like Brian said, storing it flat in the overhead works well. I've even had to create custom foam core packages for unexpected oversized art purchases. As long as you can get it in the overhead you're golden.

Get one with either a zipper or a portfolio case that holds the portfolio that then won't allow art to slid out of the top pockets.

I go with the Itoya 13" x 19" size since if you buy 11" x 17" it rides snug on top and some publishers like DC and Dark Horse use bigger sized paper, so generally 13" x 19" buys you added room within the page for slightly larger pieces.

The cost is about $25

check 'em out here:

http://www.artprofolio.com/Art_profolio_Evolution.htm

Then I get a simple portfolio bag which runs $10-20 with a shoulder strap and handles to carry.

Alternatively, there are portfolios that zipper up and have handles, but they're more expensive sometimes.