• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book/author do you LOVE that few boardies would know about?

72 posts in this topic

+1 on McCammon!

Off the top of my head here are a few of my favorites :

Swan Song

They Thirst

Night Boat

Stinger

It's great seeing all the McCammon accolades. :applause:

I'll recommend one of his newer works (2011): The Five. It's a unique love-letter to Road Bands, but with a paranormal edge. Good stuff. :cloud9:

10189558.jpg

The BEST fantasy series I have ever read (well maybe a close second to LotR) -

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

It is so badass.

Please read it.

Book 1 -

228665.jpg

I loved them but stopped reading after he bogged down...after he died I gave up the series all together...same with GRRM, I haven't read the last 2 books as I'm afraid he'll die and leave the work unfinished. Rothfuss needs to kick it into gear also...he's taking forever for his 3rd book, thankfully he's young enough to see it through to it's conclusion.

Loving the recs so far!

I just bought these lots on eBay from some earlier suggestions:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

...and will be getting an Amazon order together with some of the other endorsements here. A few McCammon titles will definitely be included based on all the praise he's been getting!

Ditto for Sanderson. :cloud9:

Haven't read those two yet, but his Mistborn series was excellent. World-building and creating unique magic-systems is his forte.

And I'll add a possible 'under the radar': M.L.N. Hanover.

Which is a pen-name for James S.A. Corey/Daniel Abraham (Leviathan Wakes Expanse trilogy, the Star Wars novel Honor Among Thieves)

The Black Sun's Daughter by M.L.N. Hanover.

15802900.jpg

If you've never read Stephen King, and don't think you'd be a fan, read "Gerald's Game." It isn't your typical horror book - it really isn't a horror book at all, for the most part. There is no house to come alive that eats people, no mystical gunslinger, it is more of a psychological thriller, set from a woman's point of view. King has been accused of ripping off his wife's work, the "tone" of the woman's POV is so strong.

Even if you never read another S. King book afterward, I strongly recommend this one. It's another book I have owned more than once in my life, and given away to someone so they can read it.

:)

-slym

Love Stephen King! I went to a thrift store and bought over 15 Stephen King hardbacks for $10. I was stoked! Gerald's Game was one that was included in the mix, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I will upon your recommendation though.

Carrie has been my favorite King book to date.

The BEST fantasy series I have ever read (well maybe a close second to LotR) -

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

It is so badass.

Please read it.

Book 1 -

228665.jpg

This series was 2000 pages of great fantasy!

Unfortunately, there were another 10000 pages as well.

My tastes run the gamut but in general I like horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff, maybe not so much SF, but I'd still like to get your picks for anything, regardless.

Most of the suggestions here seem to be of the regular book nature rather than comics, but if you were interested in a comic series that covered almost all of your "horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff", you can't go wrong with one of my favorites, GrimJack. Written by John Ostrander and created by him and his original artist, Tim Truman (who as you probably know collaborated with Lansdale on a number of projects), it contains elements of all those genre's you mention.

Don't know if any collections are available, but I don't think most the back issues are very expensive.

In the prose book category, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens is a pretty good read.

My tastes run the gamut but in general I like horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff, maybe not so much SF, but I'd still like to get your picks for anything, regardless.

Most of the suggestions here seem to be of the regular book nature rather than comics, but if you were interested in a comic series that covered almost all of your "horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff", you can't go wrong with one of my favorites, GrimJack. Written by John Ostrander and created by him and his original artist, Tim Truman (who as you probably know collaborated with Lansdale on a number of projects), it contains elements of all those genre's you mention.

Don't know if any collections are available, but I don't think most the back issues are very expensive.

In the prose book category, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens is a pretty good read.

+1 to the Good Omens book....loved it!

And for Gaiman fans...Neverwhere is a must read. One of my favorites...