• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another fine eBay auction

26 posts in this topic

While browsing through key CGC ASM issues on eBay I stumbled upon this fine auction. smirk.gif

What I want to know is why do people even bother bidding on auctions like this? shocked.gif

Anybody want to show this guy what "sabotage" really means? blush.giflaugh.gif

P.S. - If someone beat me to this auction in another thread, oops sorry, my mistake. blush.gif

I was planning on sniping them, but I am sick of this. If people are that dumb, especially after looking at his feedback then I don't know what else a person can do to stop an insufficiently_thoughtful_person from bidding. smirk.gif

I still can't believe Ebay lets this [!@#%^&^] slide. You read that article that they're on top of scams like this and have investigators policing the site, but they let this go through after all the emails from us?? What a bunch of [!@#%^&^].

Emailed this seller asking him to explain why he was displaying the CGC label with the books if, as he says in his auction discriptions, that they are void. His reply:

"So that you can see that the books have been CGC graded"

Loser. mad.gif

And this is because almost no one left him negative feedback for the prior auctions for the fake CGC's - if people do not use the feedback system then it is useless. I hope anybody who won rustystarwars' prior auctions and did/does not leave negative feedback gets scammed by another seller in a future auction as it is a direct result of some of bidder not leaving negative feedback.

Tomega

And this is because almost no one left him negative feedback for the prior auctions for the fake CGC's -

I do NOT enjoy doing it, nor do I ever want it to come to that, but I almost always leave negative feedback to people that have EARNED/DESERVE it. I only have 1 eBay user id, and so I don't shill auctions that I suspect could be scams, and I don't have the time or energy to do eBay's job for them. I brought this up on the board because others have expressed that they do have multiple id's reserved for high suspect scam auctions. I thought that they might be interested in spoiling a suspected scammers plans.

if people do not use the feedback system then it is useless

I totally agree with you there. There is a problem though, it's too easy for a scammer to create another account and do the same thing all over again. For these people eBay has become a route to "make a quick buck". However, if people would have the courage to leave a deserved negative, then they might learn as I have, that you don't always get a retalitory negative in return. I only have 1 negative (a retalitory neg), and I've given about 10 to several deserving people. I always email a person to let them know what I think, why I think what I do, and ask them to DO something about it. Usually I get a threatening/angry response or a "no comment" type of reply, however it has paid off a couple of times. If someone in a cooperative manner is willing to "meet you halfway", then they at least deserve a "no comment" on their feedback. A person's response to me concerning a problem determines how I will respond to them in return. By the time I've contacted them and asked them to make it right, and if they respond negatively or don't respons at all, then at that point, I really don't care if they leave me a retalitory negative feedback or not. I will respond to a retalitory negative feedback and expose it for what it is.

I hope anybody who won rustystarwars' prior auctions and did/does not leave negative feedback gets scammed by another seller in a future auction as it is a direct result of some of bidder not leaving negative feedback.

You hope they get scammed twice? confused.gif Some people are just afraid to get a retalitory negative feedback. I've never won any of this sellers items, but you could be sure that IF I did, and the books were not in the condition described, and I contacted him about the situation asking him to "make it right", and he decided to "take the money and run", I would leave him a negative feedback in a N.Y. minute, and not an uninformative name calling negative, but one that helps the next person considering doing business with the person. I might leave a comment like like "poor communication, slow to ship, item not as described, no effort to resolve."

You did bring up a good point though, if people don't leave negative feedback when they should, then they are doing their fellow eBayers a dis-service. frown.gif

I'm one of those people who do not leave negative feedback. I received one retalitory negative, and that was it for me. Not enough bidders take the time to read through your feedback to read the your responses. All they do is click your feedback icon to see total positives and total negatives. I think many bidders will avoid bidding on high dollar items if there's a risk of you scamming them. And 4 or 5 negatives is all it takes.

I agree, it's too bad other bidders aren't warned, but as a seller, I can't jeopardize my reputation and the confidence level of my potential customers.

"You hope they get scammed twice? Some people are just afraid to get a retalitory negative feedback. I've never won any of this sellers items, but you could be sure that IF I did, and the books were not in the condition described, and I contacted him about the situation asking him to "make it right", and he decided to "take the money and run", I would leave him a negative feedback in a N.Y. minute, and not an uninformative name calling negative, but one that helps the next person considering doing business with the person. I might leave a comment like like "poor communication, slow to ship, item not as described, no effort to resolve."

This is actually a continuation of several old and current threads from when the seller tried to pass the comics off as legit CGC's ( do a search from the past few weeks to see thread.) As far as I know, none of the bidders in his auctions sent him money for the CGC'd fakes. They didn't get scammed because , in part, of me - I made sure I emailed every one of his winners of the CGC's items right after the auction and let them know the deal. I told them to request the serial numbers and that was the nail in the coffin as to the auctions authenticy. The seller had the audacity to send back fake serial numbers from other comics.The point is that if a bidder ignores the fraudalence of the auction and does not post feedback to reflect the problem , the bidder is enabling other fellow bidders and collectors to get scammed. I made the statement I hope they scammed because they did just that - they are enabling the bidders of his current auctions to get potentially scammed into believing they are high grade comics when they are not. Sometimes the worst action is to take no action. If they had left negative feedback, how many of his current bidders would be naive enough to take the chance and bid on his auctions. The seller is bad, he tried to scam thousands of dollars from many good people, not only should he have negative feedbacks he should be prosecuted.

You handle auction feedback as it should, if everyone did then eBay would be a safer place.

Tomega

"I'm one of those people who do not leave negative feedback. I received one retalitory negative, and that was it for me. Not enough bidders take the time to read through your feedback to read the your responses. All they do is click your feedback icon to see total positives and total negatives. I think many bidders will avoid bidding on high dollar items if there's a risk of you scamming them. And 4 or 5 negatives is all it takes.

I agree, it's too bad other bidders aren't warned, but as a seller, I can't jeopardize my reputation and the confidence level of my potential customers.

No offense, Rob, but then you are part of the problem. If everyopne thought the way you do then you might as well scrap the whole feedback system. If there is a legitimate bad seller and he leaves you retalitory feedback, SO WHAT. 4 or 5 negatives is not going to do anything to your business. I have over 733 positive feedbacks and 4 negatives - do you think this would affect any of my auctions ? It has not affected anything. At least not from buyers who understand eBay and they are the people I want to deal with anyway. Your reputation should be good enough ( and I am sure it is) to deal with a couple negatives from people who deserve it.

So basically you are enabling other people to get potentially scammed because you are afraid of a retalitory feedback. More often then not, if you have a few negative feedbacks from bad sellers, those sellers are either eventually NARU'D or have such bad feedback that it is obvious to any half-way savvy eBayer of who the problem person is. Of those 4 negatives I mentioned for myself, 2 are from NARU's sellers, 1 is from bidder who has 6 negatives and 9 positives - 50% negative rating!!, and another id who has not had any activity on eBay for almost 3 years. Would you not bid on my auctions because of my .5% negative, 99.5% positive rating?

Let me put it this way - let's say you bid on an auction for a high ticket CGC'd comic you were looking for. You forked up your $500 for it and find out it was a fake that was previously auctioned but some other bidder, like yourself, did not leave negative feedback. Are you telling me you have no problem with that ? That you have no problem with that other bidder who felt as you do now and did not want to jeopardize his feedback?That it is okay for this to happen, for you to lose your money, and that your feedback is more important then that?

I do not want to seem like I am bashing you, I understand your position but you may want to re-think that if you are to continue to do business on eBay. You may be new to eBay ( or not), maybe that is why you feel this way; but all it will take is one big scam and you might change your mind. I really like to hear your thoughts ( as well as other members) on what I wrote above.

Tomega

EBay's feedback system is deeply flawed, especially since scammers can just set up another Zero Feedback account and start the game all over. So you get a retaliatory negative, while the chump gets his account closed and starts up another a day later.

It may not be right, but I play by the rules as they are set out. In the EBay world, I'm worse off for laying down negatives and paying the price, than I am just eating the NPB and moving on. It's like having a guy cut you off in traffic or a stonehead whizzes by doing 100 in a 40 zone; as much as I'd love to see them stopped, the world is far from perfect.

That's not to say that I do not leave negatives, but I certainly don't worry too much when "menopay (0)" snipes an auction and then doesn't pay. Hammering an obvious Zero scammer with a negative is a waste of time, since you're certain to get one back.

That's not worth it in my book, and it's my freedom to choose how I conduct my EBay transactions, not yours.

I agree with Tomega. I am the person who left the negative feedback for rustysstarwars. I could have ignored the situation and he would never have neg'd me. I chose not to because this forum and its' vigilance saved me one hell of a lot of money. As a result of posting the neg I have fielded over 30 email requests from other ebayers who were considering bidding on these auctions. In each case I forwarded them a link to the appropriate threads on this forum.

I feel that getting the retaliatory neg was worth it if it stopped other people from getting scammed. Let's face it, ebay is not going to protect anyone from scammers so we have to look after ourselves.

I do 60 % of my business off of ebay and so if a seller doesn't want to deal with me and can't be bothered to see an excellent feedback rating then more fool them.

What I can't deal with is the "I'm alright Jack and bugger everybody else" attitude that seems to exist with both buyers and sellers.

You're talking about a whole different kettle of fish. If I was royally jobbed by a seller, I'd hammer a negative to save someone else some pain, but what I will not do is chase after the Zero Feedback , and hitting them with negatives for not paying for a $2 auction.

I didn't bother to read all of the responses, but I for one leave negatives w/o any hesitation if the jerk deserves it. mad.gif I am all for telling the truth and warning others of bad ebayers. Observe below: grin.gif

http://www.haus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=speedjunkies&Dirn=Left+by

Our feedback system is screwed because of [!@#%^&^] who are too chicken shiet to receive a retalitory neg.

You may be new to eBay ( or not), maybe that is why you feel this way; but all it will take is one big scam and you might change your mind. I really like to hear your thoughts ( as well as other members) on what I wrote above.

Actually, I'm not new. Going on my 7th year as an eBay member (was AuctionWeb when I joined). I've gone 6 1/2 years with only one negative. It was retalitory for me leaving negative for a non-bidder. Most bidders probably won't blink an eye at 1 neg, but I work hard to exceed the customers' expectation, and take pride in my perfect record. I want bidders to know that I have not upset a single customer.

I have also not been part of many scams in all my time on eBay. The problem sellers I have run across, I leave negative feedback for. I usually get positive feedback for paying before I receive the item, so there's no chance for retalitory. But for non payers, I file a deadbeat bidder report with eBay, and relist. I don't want to tarnish my feedback rating just to get back at someone for not paying. It's petty.

>>Our feedback system is screwed because of [!@#%^&^] who are too chicken shiet to receive a retalitory neg.

Hey, some of us don't have time to post inflammatory or cuss-filled follow-ups so EBay removes the retaliatory negs. grin.gif

The original poster said to take yer licks and wear 'em like a badge of honor.

I have little patience with sellers that don't deal honestly. Some of the sellers think that by guaranteeing satisfaction, they can sell you any piece of garbage out there for whatever your willing to bid. They can call a comic with stains (that are not noticeable) and a 2" spine split a book with "no real problems" and expect you to send it back for a refund less shipping and then leave a positive. Or call any piece of [!@#%^&^] they sell VF when it barely breaks Fine. Had a Turok comic come my way with a hole through all the pages made when someone stabbed the comic on the back cover with a steak knife. You couldn't see it on the scan. Hole was almost invisible by the time the blade reached the cover. Paid about $40.00 US for this thing.Took the guy 4 days to tell me , oh I didn't know it had a hole in it. They all have some kind of excuse. I feel that sellers have a responsibility to KNOW what they are selling.

Do they really think I have the time to re-package the comic, send it back and hope I get a refund less shipping 6 - 8 weeks after buying this thing? Then I am supposed to leave positive feed-back cause I got a refund????? confused.gif

You lie on your sell-sight, you mis-represent your comic, you wait 2, 3 or 4 days to answer my complaint, I'll leave you a negative.

It amazes me that a seller can have hundreds of positives with a couple negatives and pulls this garbage. Why? You guys are saying about people being too scared of retaliatory feed-back. If people were less worried about it, more of these guys would be exposed for what they really are. "Sell it to the suckers, cause ebay is the only way to get rid of it. Yeah, it's not perfect, but maybe the guy will keep it anyway instead of sending it back. Lot of these guys are like that, too much trouble to send it back."

I'm a buyer on e-bay so I have the luxury of letting these guys retaliate all they want. I'd rather let everyone know what they did to me than worry about a retaliatory feed-back. I know to some people they'd rather get their money back and leave positives after the experience but that's not the way I'll play. These guys love it when it neg-em cause it gives them the excuse they need not to give my money back. Gets to be expensive after awhile. But hey, it's not about the money. It's about not being honest. mad.gif

Deadbeat bidders and you as a seller is an entirely different point. I do agree with that it is not worth for minor infractions such as newbies not paying but it is not petty to leave feedback for someone who deserves it, it maintains the integrity of eBay. I was not talking about leaving feedback to buyer's who screwed you but you as a buyer. As a buyer ( which I assume you have been ), it is paramount to leave feedback where appropiate - that is what makes everything work. I probably have left 40 negatives in my time and received 4 as retalitory. Those negatives I left have helped protect future buyers and sellers. I'm glad you said that you do leave negatives for problem sellers. it protects us all.

Tomega