• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demon With a Glass Hand

11 posts in this topic

The Outer Limits remains, to this day, my all-time-favourite TV series. I remember watching the show, as a small boy, back in the 1960s and it’s always something that has stayed with me as an enduring favourite.

My favourite episode of this favourite TV series has always been the Harlan Ellison-scripted episode, Demon With a Glass Hand.

Back in 1986, DC Comics released a graphic novel version of Ellison’s original teleplay (that was revised for the filmed TV episode) adapted and illustrated by Marshall Rogers.

Prior to the DC adaptation, I’d always considered Demon to be a great candidate for a comic-strip version – even to the point of having an ideal artist in mind, Al Williamson. Several years earlier Williamson had illustrated an excellent adaptation of the movie Blade Runner, which has some of its action taking place in the Bradbury Building in downtown Los Angeles (where Demon was filmed).

My reaction to Marshall’s version was a bit mixed at the time of publication. Not quite what I was expecting (I had in mind a darker, film noir look to the story artwork), but I none-the-less enjoyed the version I read (above all, the beauty of Ellison’s superbly-crafted teleplay shines through . . . even if Marshall's version was not entirely faithful to the unrevised -script - which can be read in Harlan Ellison’s Brain Movies Volume 1).

For a long time I’d been after an original artwork example from the graphic novel adaptation and had only ever seen one page surface (which was subsequently sold by the owner, Felix Lu).

Following recent consultation with Felix, who offered help and advice along the way, I managed to chance upon another page hidden away in CAF (a traditional search on the web-site had yielded no results). The (then) owner Dave Ruth had the page available for sale and, following the exchange of e-mails, agreed to sell me his example – for which I’m extremely grateful.

Dave has lots of other great artworks available for sale in his CAF Gallery, so I recommend a visit for anyone reading this (Dave’s a gentleman and is great to deal with).

Here's a link to the CAF image:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1193257

Thanks again, Dave and Felix!

Wish I had known, as I had owned the majority (at least two thirds) of all the pages from the graphic novel and sold a substantial portion as one lot on Clink a few years ago.

I think I still own the cover prelim, but I'd have to check to confirm. (thumbs u

Wish I had known, as I had owned the majority (at least two thirds) of all the pages from the graphic novel and sold a substantial portion as one lot on Clink a few years ago.

I think I still own the cover prelim, but I'd have to check to confirm. (thumbs u

Damn, I missed that . . . now you tell me! ;)

Let me know about the cover prelim, thanks!

You're welcome, Terry! No big deal at all, always enjoy chatting with a fellow fan. Happily, I was able to upgrade the page I had. I'll post it once I get a couple of word balloons fixed. I consider this adaptation to be Marshall Rogers' best work of his career. Congrats on finding this page!

I've now listed all of the originals Dave has for sale over in the Original Comic Art Marketplace forum (please check them out).

Lots of wonderful artists represented in the selection that include the likes of Wally Wood, Steve Ditko, Adam Hughes, Al Williamson, Mike Kaluta, Gene Colan . . . and many more.

Worth checking out . . . who knows, might be something there you've been on the look out for?

Yeah, I missed that. It's what happens when you don't look at these things! :cry:

Someone got themselves a good deal. (thumbs u

Still, a nice example is fine for my needs, so I'm happy! :cloud9: