• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to prove to my wife I'm not imagining my comics are worthwhile!

50 posts in this topic

I've never really understood some of the odd dynamics between husband and wife over comics. My wife was never interested in my comics but always knew that some were of value. She didn't ask how much I spent on them but knew that I would always provide for our family and trusted me to be able to manage our money without her looking over my shoulder. We're still happily married and I'm glad that I've never had to justify comic spending or hide anything I've bought from her.

I've never really understood some of the odd dynamics between husband and wife over comics. My wife was never interested in my comics but always knew that some were of value. She didn't ask how much I spent on them but knew that I would always provide for our family and trusted me to be able to manage our money without her looking over my shoulder. We're still happily married and I'm glad that I've never had to justify comic spending or hide anything I've bought from her.

It's different if you buy & sell, that's minding her own business about your hobby/business activity....for non-sellers, sinking money, who make the mistake of saying "this one is now worth $ xxxx.xx" - it's different.

:insane:

It's different if you buy & sell, that's minding her own business about your hobby/business activity....for non-sellers, sinking money, who make the mistake of saying "this one is now worth $ xxxx.xx" - it's different.

:insane:

I agree, I was referring to back when I was just a collector for many years and spent a lot of money on funny books just for myself.

I've learned to not tell my lovely that the comics are worth X$see.Then she wants me to sell them.I've learned not to tell her what I've spent either....both have come full circle to bite my arse.

She likes reading my EC books though...

once she realizes what they're worth, she'll expect all the profits or guilt you into selling them. Bad idea all around.

Furnace breaks: Sell one of those stupid comics you have to pay for it

Car repairs: Sell those comics

New dress: Sell the funny books

Furnace breaks: Sell some of that jewelry to pay for it.

Car repairs: Sell that jewelry...

New comic book: Sell the jewelry

...that would go over like a lead balloon I imagine lol

Dish washer stops working. Give the wife a gentle boot in the rear. :shy:

Your book is worth a lot of money though I think it would take an oddball customer to get as much as you say it is worth.

Other than that how are you finances? Is your wife looking at your comics and seeing the mortgage not paid, the kids college fund, a better wardrobe or a vacation to the warm climes?

And your Hulk #1 is worth a lot but do you have box after box of comics that you never look at, that cost you $4 each and are worth nothing? Are the comics a money maker for you or a money loser? In itself, it doesn't much matter but it does matter if there are other financial pressures.

Anyway, I am financially very conservative. If I wasn't and bought comics when the prices were low, on would be a millionaire but only on paper (literally on paper). I was conservative so I bought the house first. The kids are well educated. The wife was able to be a stay at home mom most of the time, and so on. My comic collection is worth about as much as the front end of a cheap car. I have friends though, who have made a lot of money off the collections and if NOT for the comics they wouldn't own the house and all those other things.

Good luck with it all.

Pretty much my story, except maybe for the "happily" part lol

+1

I'm glad my fiance is supportive of my hobby.