• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to prove to my wife I'm not imagining my comics are worthwhile!

50 posts in this topic

Would everyone here consider this a "mock" sale (I have no intention of selling my Hulk #1, so please no "real" offers).

I have a lot of old comics, but whenever I tell my wife some of them are actually worth a decent amount of money, she rolls her eyes a bit. The other day, I pulled up an Ebay sale of Hulk #1 raw that was probably around a 1.5 ish that sold for $7100. While my copy isn't that grade, I told her we're still in the ballpark...she thinks the ebay sale was likely not real.

Anyway, I thought I would see what collectors would pay for my book...purely as an exercise, so please, just what you might pay in a real world scenario...for this exercise, assume the below:

- The book is local to you, and you can easily see and inspect the book

- What I'm telling you regarding the book's condition is accurate

- You have money allocated to buy this book when you came across it, so you have no financial concerns holding you back

- You aren't buying with the intent to flip it.

- Book is complete, no cutout panels

- Top staple is not connected

- Back cover about the same as the front.

I'll pass this on to the wife, regardless of results...thanks for participating!

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o521/rockymullins/Hulk1Front.gif

Hulk1Front.gif

once she realizes what they're worth, she'll expect all the profits or guilt you into selling them. Bad idea all around.

Furnace breaks: Sell one of those stupid comics you have to pay for it

Car repairs: Sell those comics

New dress: Sell the funny books

Your wife is correct. 1) that eBay sale sounds like it was an anomaly or shilled. Graded 2.0's are almost a grand less than that. 2) Looking at the FC I'm gonna put your book between a .5 and 1.0, would be shocked if it graded to a 1.5. GPA on a 1.5 is around 5k, a 1.0 is probably closer to $4,500.

However If I am buying for my collection? I'm toping out at maybe $3,750.

once she realizes what they're worth, she'll expect all the profits or guilt you into selling them. Bad idea all around.

Furnace breaks: Sell some of that jewelry to pay for it.

Car repairs: Sell that jewelry...

New comic book: Sell the jewelry

...that would go over like a lead balloon I imagine lol

(I have no intention of selling my Hulk #1, so please no "real" offers).

I have a lot of old comics, but whenever I tell my wife some of them are actually worth a decent amount of money, she rolls her eyes a bit.

You might want to re-think what you're doing. Confirming potential wealth you, quote, "have no intention" of providing her access to.

If the lightbulb does go off, then what? You're the obstacle man, that's what. :eek:

Peacocking might result in a cooked goose. Just sayin'. :)

I don't think she can make him sell his books. She can demand a appraisal of the collection and she will get half as a marital asset. Or so I've heard.

Furnace breaks: Sell some of that jewelry to pay for it.

Car repairs: Sell that jewelry...

New comic book: Sell the jewelry

...that would go over like a lead balloon I imagine lol

tumblr_mou8y9BxWc1sqwnloo1_500.gif

Your book is worth exactly 3.5 hours of divorce counseling representation from the firm of "That's Mine, This is Yours, P.C."

Too late for you to undo this mistake. But if I can help you avoid another one?

Do not, even as a "joke", ever say this -

"Honey, you know what's funny? I'd be worth much more to you dead than alive. Don't believe me? Here's proof along with a list of odorless, untraceable poisons..."

Just, you know, sayin'....

Who cares if she thinks they're worthless. I'm not going to speak of divorce because I assume you have a healthy relationship, but that being said, she shouldn't care what they're worth or why you collect as long as it makes you happy.

My gf/future wife (as she introduces herself now :ohnoez:) Thinks I spend too much money on books. When I start talking about how much they're worth, she says "well it doesn't matter because you're never going to sell them anyway.". She has no interest in my collection other than the occasional cover she thinks is neat. But she supports my collecting regardless.

I think you should just tell your wife that some of them are worth some money, but they're all worth a lot more to you and that's why you collect.

And if it ever comes to divorce, sell them to a friend for like $300, then just buy them back from him/her after the dust has settled. (thumbs u

Ask her on what basis she is claiming comics are not valuable. Just because she thinks that? Is she an expert?