• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taking books to CGC from Canada

38 posts in this topic

If going with a commercial document, the commercial version of the Y-38 is the E-15 form - found at the link below.

Unlike a commercial invoice, which could be misinterpreted by CBSA and/or US customs as representative of goods being sold, the E-15 form is the better "commercial" document to use if substituting for the Y-38. 2c

E-15 link

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e15.pdf

If the OP wants to see the regs, click here.

Awesome to see this discussed. I always get dinged when my books come back. I thought there was no way around it, despite the post office telling me that simply writing "NCV" (no commercial value) on the initial shipping receipt would wave any return fees. Going to have to try this with my next shippment.

the only time I've heard of the Canadian border opening a package and expecting a receiver to prove they owned the books before is when CGC accidentally puts a very low or no amount to declare, which, from what I understand, was an error and not on purpose.

CGC puts the cost of order to grade as the declared value and no, the Fed Ex charge is not 'one of their charges' it's taxes going to the government based on the declared value.

I still have my previous invoice that was sent after I received my package and it says right on it "taxes on declared value" or something similar. Which, as I also said, on your own property isn't due and should be waved.

Awesome to see this discussed. I always get dinged when my books come back. I thought there was no way around it, despite the post office telling me that simply writing "NCV" (no commercial value) on the initial shipping receipt would wave any return fees. Going to have to try this with my next shippment.

You should never get dinged if your books are being returned to you.

You should never get dinged if your books are being returned to you.

:slapfight:

See #2 - The provision allows customs duty-free entry on the full value (export value and the foreign value added) of the returned goods, which were temporarily exported to a free trade partner (United States, Mexico, Chile, Israel, or a CIFTA beneficiary) for repair or alteration. At the time of import no customs duty is paid on the value of the repair or alteration. However, duties under the Excise Tax Act including the goods and services tax (GST) and excise tax, if applicable, are payable on the foreign value added.

Regulation

If we're talking about how things work in reality vs. regulations, it's true many Canadians won't be taxed on value added abroad - more would if that value were properly declared.

:whistle:

Update Ok I went to the Border Services guy at Oshawa Airport today,the service was great!! He listed the 20 comics on the green Y-38 form and stamped them, I had brought photocopies of the covers and the CGC submission forms, he stamped the photocopies also and said put them with the Y-38 form and show if asked going down and ask CGC to put them in the box when shipping back.

I am taking down FF 1,2 48, 49 & 50 Avengers 1, Batman 47(can.Ed) superman 34 & 53(Can.ed) Strange adventures 2 (Can.Ed) Wings 94, Thrilling 63,startling 53,Strange Tales Ann.2 Tales of Suspense 3,Planet Comics 44 & 58 Rawhide Kid 1 & Action Comics 242. I will report how it goes when I get to Sarasota.

DUpdate: the books went thru in my carry on, they did not open and look,.made it to Cgc headquarters, what a fantastic building, tight security, was helped by Sam in customer service who helped with the submission forms. he stated that my Y-38 forms and cover photocopies will be placed in the return shipments so there should be no problems with duties. All in all a great experience.