• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 discussion thread

39 posts in this topic

I'm working on one singular Club thread list.

But mysterio, you still haven't answered this question... what does this mean?

"If maintaining the flow and integrity of the lengthier thread is more of a priority than the list"

I just don't understand what you mean? I really, REALLY don't. I keep asking you to explain it and instead of explaining it, you continue to just make conclusory statements. (shrug)

This may be a silly comparison to you, but when you think of the Star Wars Trilogy or LOTR trilogy, do you think they're not all part of the bigger story because they're separated into different parts? Seriously. They're all part of the larger story, right? They all go together even though they're separated.

You keep saying the "history is lost"... HOW?!. I really am just curious to see what you mean by that? :popcorn:

If the "Original Hulk #1 Club" is 190 pages and "Hulk #1 Reboot Version 1.0" is 100 pages and even if I made a new one today "Hulk #1 Reboot Version 2.0" and :news:I LINK THEM ALL TOGETHER :news: ... why can't you look past "Page 1 of 100" in the "Hulk #1 Reboot Version 1.0" and just see that it's really "Page 191" of the "Original Hulk #1 Club."

It just boggles my mind. I really can't understand where you're coming from. I could if I didn't make sure to LINK to the previous Club threads in several different places. But I do. So I guess I just don't understand what your issue is and why you can't explain where you're coming from.

Again, :popcorn:

I'm working on one singular Club thread list.

But mysterio, you still haven't answered this question... what does this mean?

"If maintaining the flow and integrity of the lengthier thread is more of a priority than the list"

I just don't understand what you mean? I really, REALLY don't. I keep asking you to explain it and instead of explaining it, you continue to just make conclusory statements. (shrug)

This may be a silly comparison to you, but when you think of the Star Wars Trilogy or LOTR trilogy, do you think they're not all part of the bigger story because they're separated into different parts? Seriously. They're all part of the larger story, right? They all go together even though they're separated.

You keep saying the "history is lost"... HOW?!. I really am just curious to see what you mean by that? :popcorn:

If the "Original Hulk #1 Club" is 190 pages and "Hulk #1 Reboot Version 1.0" is 100 pages and even if I made a new one today "Hulk #1 Reboot Version 2.0" and :news:I LINK THEM ALL TOGETHER :news: ... why can't you look past "Page 1 of 100" in the "Hulk #1 Reboot Version 1.0" and just see that it's really "Page 191" of the "Original Hulk #1 Club."

It just boggles my mind. I really can't understand where you're coming from. I could if I didn't make sure to LINK to the previous Club threads in several different places. But I do. So I guess I just don't understand what your issue is and why you can't explain where you're coming from.

Again, :popcorn:

I don't recall anyplace in today's discussion where I have lamented history being lost. I did previously make that argument, but would admit today that I did a poor job of reflecting my feelings about thread organization. In complaining about losing the history it was more of an argument about chopping the threads up over the needs of the almighty list. I just didn't see the need for it.

Maintaining the flow and integrity of the longer, historical threads means that we have one long thread devoted to the discussion of a particular key book. I hope that is more clear. I don't understand how a discussion is facilitated by breaking that discussion up into multiple threads, even if links are provided to the "old" threads, simply to maintain The List. I am perplexed by the contention that the List is so important that threads need to be rebooted annually just so we can find The List on the first page. Is that clearer?

It boils down to whether finding The List on page 1 is more important than keeping the 700+ pages of discussion collected in one thread (without having to click through multiple links to find it all). I don't understand why The List must have priority in determining how these discussions will be organized in the SA room of these boards.

So, you'd rather have the "Original Hulk #1 Club" thread with 190 pages...

Do you even KNOW what was discussed at page 103?? How about page 84?! Does anyone care?

And if you say "yes" -- it's STILL accessible even if I did reboot a club! lol

I guess we're not going to see eye to eye. You've obviously taken this very personally and you keep saying things like "the almighty list". Are you really going to say you've never used it? You've never thought hm "I wonder how many 8.0 DD #1's there are on the list."

Or just thought it would be fun to compare different copies in different grades if you were looking to buy one for yourself?

The list is very helpful. I'm not saying that because I created it -- I DIDN'T CREATE THE LIST!! :o

I thought it was amazing though and followed in Dscott's footsteps because I thought it was great.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree on the "history of the threads being lost."

The List must have priority in determining how these discussions will be organized in the SA room of these boards.

And again, this is just wackytown. :insane: The list doesn't dictate really anything as to "how these discussions will be organized in the SA room on these boards."

It really doesn't. The ONLY reason I was so adamant about having the last post being a link to the new thread... simply to avoid confusion when people DO want to post their books. So you're saying that it's so different posting on "Page 2" of a Hulk #1 Club thread than posting on "Page 202" of the original Hulk #1 Club thread. Really?! :sorry:

So, you'd rather have the "Original Hulk #1 Club" thread with 190 pages...

Do you even KNOW what was discussed at page 103?? How about page 84?! Does anyone care?

And if you say "yes" -- it's STILL accessible even if I did reboot a club! lol

I guess we're not going to see eye to eye. You've obviously taken this very personally and you keep saying things like "the almighty list". Are you really going to say you've never used it? You've never thought hm "I wonder how many 8.0 DD #1's there are on the list."

Or just thought it would be fun to compare different copies in different grades if you were looking to buy one for yourself?

The list is very helpful. I'm not saying that because I created it -- I DIDN'T CREATE THE LIST!! :o

I thought it was amazing though and followed in Dscott's footsteps because I thought it was great.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree on the "history of the threads being lost."

I can say that I've never looked at the list, other than to find the link to my own book. I'm not saying others don't use it, but I haven't.

The List must have priority in determining how these discussions will be organized in the SA room of these boards.

And again, this is just wackytown. :insane: The list doesn't dictate really anything as to "how these discussions will be organized in the SA room on these boards."

It really doesn't. The ONLY reason I was so adamant about having the last post being a link to the new thread... simply to avoid confusion when people DO want to post their books. So you're saying that it's so different posting on "Page 2" of a Hulk #1 Club thread than posting on "Page 202" of the original Hulk #1 Club thread. Really?! :sorry:

I'm not clear on why this is so wacky. If you insist that the list has to be on page 1, and is editable, that necessitates a reorganization of those threads every year. That will dictate the organization of that info in the SA room. Do you dispute that?

It boils down to the age old argument of "the way I want the threads organized rocks, and the way you want them organized sucks". I agree that we will likely disagree on this one. I don't see the membership list as the main priority for organizing the SA room.

I for one will usually not even bother to post a book in a "club" unless it is being maintained by someone. What's the point of posting a bunch of books up in a vacuum that no one else will see unless they dig through a pile of subsequent posts? It just so happens that Harvey looks after a good portion of those threads. If he's willing to do it and enjoys it let him! :ohnoez:

-J.

I for one will usually not even bother to post a book in a "club" unless it is being maintained by someone. What's the point of posting a bunch of books up in a vacuum that no one else will see unless they dig through a pile of subsequent posts? It just so happens that Harvey looks after a good portion of those threads. If he's willing to do it and enjoys it let him! :ohnoez:

-J.

Folks use them for different reasons. I like them for discussion of my favorite books with some camaraderie thrown in over ownership of books we all drool over. That discussion is more important to me than the strict maintenance and location of the list. That doesn't make anyone wrong, as we all get different things out of thread participation. My reaction has been to the apparent contention that there is one correct way to run club threads, and that that necessitates the threads to be rebooted annually.

Why are all these clubs needing to be rebooted in the first place? Forgive me I'm not really that tech savvy.

I think the clubs Swick has done are pure perfection,easy access to other members book pics.

I am a member of a couple of clubs like AF-15, ASM-1 etc, but never clicked on them. After seeing this discussion, I clicked on the pages and checked them out. The link system to the books are amazing. I can compare my book to ones exactly in the same grade. It even breaks it down to purple, yellow and blue. Well done Swick. I would hate to manage that list though, so major kudos on taking on that responsibility because you are :insane:

I am a member of a couple of clubs like AF-15, ASM-1 etc, but never clicked on them. After seeing this discussion, I clicked on the pages and checked them out. The link system to the books are amazing. I can compare my book to ones exactly in the same grade. It even breaks it down to purple, yellow and blue. Well done Swick. I would hate to manage that list though, so major kudos on taking on that responsibility because you are :insane:

I agree 100%! I love being able to compare my copy to other copies and see how mine stack up!

Justin makes it so simple to do this!

The sad part is that I never clicked on the clubs because I assumed that once I posted a photo of my book, the only people who would ever see it were those that clicked on the thread that day. doh! I am going to join the Daredevil 1 club and Hulk 181 club tonight.

Using the AF-15 Club as an example, you go to the first two posts. There are links labled (Yellow, Restored, Blue and Raw). Click on the spoiler tag and it will show owner and then a link to the picture of their book. It even tells you the grade in case you only want to look at 1.0's or 8.0's. It is very sweet and simple.