• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many 2004 Comic Sales North of $50K?

27 posts in this topic

Thanks very much GPA.

Does anyone have any info for some of the more private deals? For instance a Metro or a Link?

Personally very interested to see what the "top" of the traded market is and what are some of the big ticket items.

From my perspective it seems that SA Marvels in ultra HG are the true blue chips on the block although I would have thought that the facts would have slanted more towards the GA trilogy of the Action 1, Marvel 1, Tec 27.

Unfortunately I didn't keep very detailed records of what I sold last year, but off the top of my head I can think of one $50,000+ book I sold and 10 $20,000-$50,000 books I sold in 2004, of which 4 show up on GPanalysis and 7 do not. All 11 were GA comics.

Wow, his SUPERMAN #2 and BATMAN #2 are nothing to sneeze at either!

hail.gifhail.gif

Looking at these books vs. mine is like comparing my Honda to his Lamborgini. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Yes, but a Honda will last longer than a Lamborgini (if that helps sooth the pain)!!! wink.gif

Who cares, I'm driving a Lamborigini...... cloud9.gif besides, this would mean I'm 893censored-thumb.gif rich!!!!!

Here's what is interesting to me in that great data GP posted:

$20k-50K sales in 2002 (from Jun-Dec only):

Heritage: 38

JP-The Mint: 3

Ebay: 1

$20k-50K sales in 2003:

Heritage: 21

Mastronet: 7

Ebay: 3

AllStar: 1

$20k-50K sales in 2004:

Heritage: 26

Ebay: 15

Swenson: 1

Pedigree: 2

Notice that the number of $20,000+ transactions on eBay grew from 1 to 3 to 15. Does this mean people are becoming more comfortable with selling 5 figure comics on eBay? Or were there always comics priced at those levels for sale, and people just weren't comfortable buying them via that site?

[quote

Notice that the number of $20,000+ transactions on eBay grew from 1 to 3 to 15. Does this mean people are becoming more comfortable with selling 5 figure comics on eBay? Or were there always comics priced at those levels for sale, and people just weren't comfortable buying them via that site?

I think the primary reason is that as the years have passed, more and more known dealers are selling through e-bay. Most likely the sellers for these five and six figure books on e-bay were known to the buyer. For example, I bought my Showcase #4 CGC 9.2 from Mark Wilson, whom I already knew as an established dealer. Indeed, I had inquired about the book months before anyway. Jay Parrino is another dealer who we all know who has had some of these five and six figure books on e-bay (I think I still hold the record for an e-bay bid for one comic book which was $155,000 for Detective #38 CGC 9.4 - didn't meet reserve!!!).

Bottom line: I know who they are, where they live, the closest law enforcement agency that will arrest them and what courthouse I need to sue them in if a problem arises! 893naughty-thumb.gif

For someone I don't know, I would usually fly to them to examine the book(s) and consumate the sale before ever sending that kind of money. At a minimum, I ask for references, which I check, and I have the seller execute a written contact beforehand. Always, always, talk to the seller on the phone. Many times you will be able to gauge whether or not the person is a fraud. Not always, but I've done so before. In the early days of E-bay (and before CGC took off), one seller offered high grade copies of Det #38, Action #23, FF #5 and two other books I don't recall. I "won" two of the five. I obtained the phone number for the seller through e-bay. It was incorrect. I tracked the seller down (helps to represent CIA and FBI employees!). After a few minutes of talking with him I was persuaded he was a fraud. I warned the other two buyers not to go through with their deals. One listened, one did not. That fellow received cardboard in the mail which cost him $11k. I told the seller he would regret it, even though I had not lost a dime, and I had him prosecuted.

The con artists are out there. No doubt most of you have received fraudulent "second chance offers" from e-bay. These scammers simply go down the bidders list of those who did not win and mail a fake offer. These guys are far more difficult to have prosecuted b/c law enforcement won't do anything unless money is actually lost. They simply do not have the time or resources to track these people down, particularly because many of them are overseas. Thus, it is up to the buyer to remain vigilent at all times. In plain english - DON'T BE STUPID! makepoint.gif

Mark "the lawyer you definitely don't want to screw over through e-bay" Zaid

I think the primary reason is that as the years have passed, more and more known dealers are selling through e-bay. Most likely the sellers for these five and six figure books on e-bay were known to the buyer...

Bottom line: I know who they are, where they live, the closest law enforcement agency that will arrest them and what courthouse I need to sue them in if a problem arises! 893naughty-thumb.gif...

Mark "the lawyer you definitely don't want to screw over through e-bay" Zaid

Good points, Mark. thumbsup2.gif

Similarly, when I see Metropolis or Doug Supila selling on ebay, there is a 100% comfort level bidding top dollar on their books cause I know I'm not going to get screwed over. It's no different from buying from their site. Whereas Joe-Schmo-from-Idaho-with-zero-feedback's auction will most likely not get too many bids from any ebay-savvy collectors.

By the way, it's very cool to hear about you taking down some ebay scammers. Sounds like you're something of a superhero yourself! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Joe