• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Incredible Hulk #180 Club!

138 posts in this topic

I have a low grade raw, but I think I may make this my next major purchase.

GPA has 9.8s at around $2,700-$2,800 over the past 12 months.

I think it will be cool to have a trilogy of high grade slabs to go along with my beat readers from when I was growing up.

May slab those for giggles with my coupon.

That's pretty cheap for a major character's first appearance! Dang...

(thumbs u

One day the truth will set people free,and realize the true 1st app. for what it is. :applause:

I have said it before - the market has already determined which issue is worth more, I am just tired of seeing people call #181 the first appearance. It's the first full story, and the first cover, sure. But not his first appearance.

I also love the "first full appearance" line. All that means, in this case, is "second appearance."

:lol:

-slym

(thumbs u

One day the truth will set people free,and realize the true 1st app. for what it is. :applause:

I have said it before - the market has already determined which issue is worth more, I am just tired of seeing people call #181 the first appearance. It's the first full story, and the first cover, sure. But not his first appearance.

I also love the "first full appearance" line. All that means, in this case, is "second appearance."

-slym

lol

(thumbs u

-slym

this is the way I feel as well, 181 is no doubt worth more due to cover appearance, but his first appearance is definitely 180. :-)

180 has the first panel (basically just a picture) of wolverine at the very end as a teaser and segue for the next issue to follow in continuity. This has long been held as being a non-substantive "first appearance" and as such is correctly labeled as merely being a "cameo". While it may literally be his "first appearance" it is quite obvious by the language on the cover of 181 that it is, in fact the real, true and substantive first grand unveiling of the character, hence his "first full appearance", and not just one picture of him at the end: "He's Here! The world's first and greatest Canadian super-hero!" "And now the Wolverine!" It also being his first cover appearance and story appearance only further solidifies the importance of the book.

181 was, is, and will always be the more significant and first go-to book of the pair in the hobby because of this, and as such, substantially more valuable in all grades.

-J.

But there are a lot of similar situations: it is clear that you as a writer introduce a situation new or unexpected at the end, in the final panels of a story when you are writing a series.

I could even point out the ridiculous of people insisting on the supposed relevance of Thor #165-166 as Warlock goes: Fantastic Four #66 is the first appearance of Warlock even if he is not shown: all the story is about him, all revolves around him, the mystery and the tension, and the fact that he is not made visible, are all substantial elements of the story.

And let’s not kid anyone: as much loved as they may be, the truly relevant character of Hulk #180-181 is the Wendigo with its dramatic story. The first appearance of Wolverine is a nice addition, but he’s not the star. He would become a full-fledged character when more is revealed about him. :)

180 has the first panel (basically just a picture) of wolverine at the very end as a teaser and segue for the next issue to follow in continuity. This has long been held as being a non-substantive "first appearance" and as such is correctly labeled as merely being a "cameo". While it may literally be his "first appearance" it is quite obvious by the language on the cover of 181 that it is, in fact the real, true and substantive first grand unveiling of the character, hence his "first full appearance", and not just one picture of him at the end: "He's Here! The world's first and greatest Canadian super-hero!" "And now the Wolverine!" It also being his first cover appearance and story appearance only further solidifies the importance of the book.

181 was, is, and will always be the more significant and first go-to book of the pair in the hobby because of this, and as such, substantially more valuable in all grades.

As I have mentioned, I have never made any statements against #181 being the more popular & the more expensive comic.

But it isn't like the last page of #180 is an ad. He appears in full figure, isn't in a tiny panel, is named, and interacts with the main character of the book. It is far from "just a picture."

Once again, "first full appearance" only means, in this case, second appearance.

:D

-slym

As I have mentioned, I have never made any statements against 181 being the more popular & the more expensive comic.

But it isn't like the last page of #180 is an ad. He appears in full figure, isn't in a tiny panel, is named, and interacts with the main character of the book.

Once again, "first full appearance" only means, in this case, second appearance.

:D

-slym

Of course. ;)

See also my post above.