• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Pittsburgh- September 11-13, 2015

54 posts in this topic

Looks like the Pittsburgh Comic Con, sold, and re-branded then.

Renee was the owner of it (and wife of alleged murderer in the somewhat famous comic book killings case, if you're familiar with that story... ;)

I used to look forward to the Pittsburgh Comic Con, and still do, but less so than in the past. It's obviously apparent less and less dealers were setting up there (don't even remember Harley Yee there this past September :o ). Dealers were often discouraged because: (a) it was getting too expensive to set up; (b) not enough traffic to make it worthwhile; © traditional spring show moved to the fall, conflicting with other shows; and (d) the promoter was jailed for murdering his wife.

Don't often say this but maybe it's for the best that Wizard's taken over. At the very least, you no longer have (d) in the equation.

Pittsburgh is a great comic town. Pittsburgh comic con became a joke towards the end. Prices were high and dealers had to price way up to afford the costs. 2 dealers would share a table to avoid high prices. I really hope WW can turn it around,but prices seem crazy for a one day pass

It looks like an open weekend and it's only 2 hours away - so I'll be there. If anyone wants to split a couple tables let me know.

Never mind - just checked and it's $1000 per table and I'm not there yet. I'll hopefully be buying at this Con and then Baltimore later that month. September is going to be busy!

I'm not from Pittsburgh but have visited the city many times. I really don't know if changing venues from the Monroeville area to the David L. Lawrence Center downtown is an improvement from a local standpoint. It looks like a more expensive venue. If I go, I know I'll have to pay more dough. Admission is much higher. Downtown hotel rates are about 4X more than surrounding areas. Driving into the city is also horrific, especially on Pirates/Steelers game days (and, say hey, Pirates are home Sept 11-13). Is it really worth it?

:preach: .

For Wizard, I'm sure it raises the profile of the con to be downtown and it increases potential to raise more profits. The mid-sized cons are really dying out.

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=WIZD

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=133103627&ticker=WIZD

Pirates game will not affect traffic for this show. Also stay out of town, much cheaper hotels outside the city. It's less than a 20 min drive from cranberry,pa.

Also if you go to this show make sure to hit up Eide's Entertainment ( awesome comic shop, not even 2 mins from the convention center)

Pirates game will not affect traffic for this show. Also stay out of town, much cheaper hotels outside the city. It's less than a 20 min drive from cranberry,pa.

Also if you go to this show make sure to hit up Eide's Entertainment ( awesome comic shop, not even 2 mins from the convention center)

I've been to Eide's Entertainment more than a few times. I always find great books in there. One of the best comic stores around.

:cloud9:

I used to look forward to the Pittsburgh Comic Con, and still do, but less so than in the past. It's obviously apparent less and less dealers were setting up there (don't even remember Harley Yee there this past September :o ). Dealers were often discouraged because: (a) it was getting too expensive to set up; (b) not enough traffic to make it worthwhile; © traditional spring show moved to the fall, conflicting with other shows; and (d) the promoter was jailed for murdering his wife.

Don't often say this but maybe it's for the best that Wizard's taken over. At the very least, you no longer have (d) in the equation.

Good post and spot on. At one point, they had enough buzz and word of mouth to get frank miller to show up. My last year was 2002, and the just wasn't worth he trip, and this before cosplay and toy dealers and all that.