• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIGNATURES:INTERIOR VS. EXTERIOR

WHICH DO YOU PREFER?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

25 posts in this topic

There is also one more point to consider. If the artist/writer has a nice signature such as Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, or Terry Austin (below), then I'd prefer on the cover. If the signature is not so nice such as Jeph Loeb, Kevin Smith, or Joss Whedon, then I'd prefer it on the interior. Does that make sense to anyone else?

I didn't vote because it really depends on the situation for me. I prefer an unobtrusive signature with a nice little sketch on the cover. However, if there is no real "free" space for a signature, then inside is fine. If the book is a Signature Series book in a slab, I definitely prefer the cover because I can see it without cracking it out of the slab.

There is also one more point to consider. If the artist/writer has a nice signature such as Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, or Terry Austin (below), then I'd prefer on the cover. If the signature is not so nice such as Jeph Loeb, Kevin Smith, or Joss Whedon, then I'd prefer it on the interior. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Jim Lee's signature just looks like a wavy line to me. tongue.gif

I feel that way about Miller's signature, and would only have him sign the interior.

In general, I prefer not to have signatures on the front cover...but there are exceptions(Stan Lee for instance thumbsup2.gif).

I won't have an artist sign the front cover of a book unless they worked on that cover...regardless that his work is inside.(X-MEN 108 for example).

For the most part, I would only get exterior signatures if the signing artist only worked on the cover.

I kinda regret that I didn't get Byrne to sign this book...

1JBPPSS101.jpg

For the most part, I would only get exterior signatures if the signing artist only worked on the cover.

But what I don't understand is why someone would get a book signed on the interior and then have it slabbed by CGC (unless they were selling it of course)?? confused-smiley-013.gif

But what I don't understand is why someone would get a book signed on the interior and then have it slabbed by CGC (unless they were selling it of course)?? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the SS books are a nice addition to my Byrne collection. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the SS books are a nice addition to my Byrne collection. confused-smiley-013.gif

But wouldn't you have wanted the sigs on the cover if the books are locked in a slab?

My question is does a signature hurt the value of the book, especially if you can't prove it's authenticity?

IMO the signature would have to be on the inside if you can't prove it's authenticity because when slabbed it will get the blue lable.

Otherwise always get your books signature series (yellow label) graded by CGC at the show you are attending - they (CGC) can help you if you stop by their table BEFORE getting your autographs going to determine your best route. Anything in the CGC Signature Series is so hot, especially for some of the elder artists and writers, regardless of grade (for older books)

Additionally, if I am getting a signature for my collection, I always have them do it on a backing board. Then I can put it with whatever my favorite work of the person at the moment.

Bonne Chance!

Here's my dilemma: I have a Batman 232 signed by Julius Schwartz and Giordano. Unfortunately I didn't take a photograph of them signing. The signatures are on the bottom of the first page. The comic is (at least) an 8.5, maybe even a 9.2 depending on how strict the grader is.

Don't sweat it -- especially if you don't intend to sell it. If you want to sell it just be up front and tell the buyer what the deal is. They will either buy it or not. I don't think the signature will effect it either way.

Don't sweat it -- especially if you don't intend to sell it. If you want to sell it just be up front and tell the buyer what the deal is. They will either buy it or not. I don't think the signature will effect it either way.

thumbsup2.gif

I didn't vote because it really depends on the situation for me. I prefer an unobtrusive signature with a nice little sketch on the cover. However, if there is no real "free" space for a signature, then inside is fine. If the book is a Signature Series book in a slab, I definitely prefer the cover because I can see it without cracking it out of the slab.

Totally agree! thumbsup2.gif

Used to always get them done on the inside, but now I kind of like them on the outside instead, though with some of the qualifiers noted above: would only get the cover artist to sign the cover, and I can't understand why anyone would have the inside signed only to slab it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Im one of the rare collecotrs who does not like a signature at all on a book, I feel it degrades the book, I am also very picky about date stamps, writing, and ink stains on a book, and would prefer some other mild damage, because they are such an eye sore for me, and I cant seem to steer my attention away from it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say the exterior so that the signatures can actually be seen.

when the book is closed, no one would know if there's a sig unless they looked through the book, which could deteriorate the grade over time, right?

i like being able to see the sig. Also, I am a bit particular sometimes about the color of ink that is used on the cover, because I prefer that to be visible as well. Silver ink, red ink, black on sketch covers, etc.