• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Batman Adventures #12

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and it was suggested I put this comic in here for grading.

This has been in a mylar bag with a cardboard back since the day it came out. It's been in a cardboard box with all my other comics and was only taken out to scan.

It seems the scanner picks up everything so there is a lot of dust that shows up in the scan. This dust is not on the comic itself.

I am trying to determine if it's worth being slabbed so your help is greatly appreciated. Have at it everyone! :)

Chris

4tADY6Pl.jpg

Y0Tw0Nil.jpg

Here are the larger versions.

Front

4tADY6P.jpg

Back

Y0Tw0Ni.jpg

9.4 due to rubbing on cover. Possible 9.6. I'd grade it yesterday and good luck.

This, but a 9.6/9.8. The very light stacking rub is often forgiven. Leaning towards a very sharp 9.8. Nicer than many slabbed 9.8's I have seen around here (particulary those in the Sales Forum). :)

Newbie question. What is "rubbing" exactly?

It's okay, buddy.

Rubbing is what your mommy and I did together to make you grow up inside of her tummy.

Sorry...

Rubbing is just what it sounds like; a comic being rubbed up against a surface over time which causes a rubbing of the cover inks.

Very notable in the upper left corner of the front cover of your BA 12, and also an issue with the minute abrasions in color on the front cover.

I'd call the book a 9.4 as I believe that is not a common defect for this book.

The Mad Love 1-Shot (1st print w/black cover) often has rubbing on the front cover around both staples and CGC does not detract for this defect.

BUT virtually every copy of Mad Love has that defect, I don't think I've ever seen a copy which does not, due to the black cover.

This is not a common defect with BA 12.

Besides the rubbing, you'd be looking at a 9.8.Hell, maybe a 9.9.

In any event, that is definitely a book to have graded.

I'd definitely not expect a 9.9. I see one spine tick on the back cover half way down and the rubbing on the back cover has to drop it out of the 9.8 range. If most of the rubbing is considered a printing defect then 9.6 if not I'm sticking with 9.4.

Here are the larger versions.

Front

4tADY6P.jpg

Back

Y0Tw0Ni.jpg

If I were going just based on the spine stress and rubbing,most likely a 9.6, but not surprised if you got a 9.4 on a particular tight day at CGC or a 9.8 on a very loose day at CGC.

IF it is in 9.4 or higher, I don't think there's any question whether or not you should get it graded as 9.4 and up are going for $600+ on ebay. Even ungraded a NM went for $600 on ebay this month. However, if it is less than a 9.4, you're better off selling it raw as even VF-NM- have sold for $200-400. everything graded 9.0 -9.2 seems to go for $300-400 on ebay but you'll spend at least $38 on the grading fees, shipping, and insurance. You'll still make a tidy profit but have to wait a while.

The only reason I bring up the IF is the one thing that bothers me about the book is on the back cover scan. What the heck is that protruding from the spine edge about an inch and a half down from the top staple? It almost looks as if there's a slight spine tear or scuff that is allowing some of the paper on the spine to lift off the spine. From the front cover it is barely noticeable but if you look at the spine from the apex or open the cover and look inside while shining a light on the other end, if you see light coming through, you've got a slight spine tear or pinhole that CGC could knock down a bit more.

The top staple is also slightly impacted/sunken but I've seen 9.8's with worse ones. If there is a spine tear, then you're probably looking at a 9.0/9.2 which should still net you a decent dollar graded or ungraded.

I received it back from the CGC today. It received a 9.2, must have been a really rough day at the office for them, seems low to me. In addition I see some particulate that's now in the case and wasn't on the scan. I got the graders notes and it states "Spine Lite Multiple Stress Lines" and "Top Front Cover Bend"

Now I have looked this thing over a million times and see no bend anywhere, let alone on the front cover. I don't have enough experience to speak about the stress lines and being as though it was bagged/boarded with a bunch of other comics in a box I'd be willing to believe that one.