• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA in pencil for sale of digitally-created cover...?

22 posts in this topic

The smart ones will do the quick and/or tedious work on the computer and do the splash pages, covers, and significant story moments on paper. Some already do this, but I wonder why the OPs artist does not do so.

Because many care more about the published work which they've set out to create to the best of their abilities more than a collector's desire to buy and sell their art? I don't see how this correlates with an artist's intelligence.

As a rep who's having digital artists hand-draw art for collectors, this thread has certainly been an interesting read! I agree with pretty much everything posted here, pro and con. It all comes down to individual comfort level. It's currently a gray area; either a collector can deal with it or they can't. The key is that the piece is 1/1. So long as that holds true, I believe the piece will have value. No, not as much as a true published original...but as the only physical art of a highly regarded image, there will be a market for it.

There have been other examples in the hobby of unpublished originals having a substantial market, when that's all that exists. And that's well before digital work entered the equation. So there have already been precedents. The hobby adapts and evolves. I expect there to be less resistance in the future. In the meantime, treat it as a commission and if it ever becomes more than that, it will be a nice bonus.