• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online personal comic book collection database?

50 posts in this topic

I am sure they are out there and google provided me with some but not sure what everyone else is using or would recommend. I have about 120+ comics i would like to catalog & view covers online. It would be awesome to view the covers in a grid view and be able to add notes to the comic and grade and such.

My comics are Marvel silver age to present and are not by any means obscure books. I also have a few TPB which i would like to do the same as well. Any recommendations would be helpful

I am sure they are out there and google provided me with some but not sure what everyone else is using or would recommend. I have about 120+ comics i would like to catalog & view covers online. It would be awesome to view the covers in a grid view and be able to add notes to the comic and grade and such.

My comics are Marvel silver age to present and are not by any means obscure books. I also have a few TPB which i would like to do the same as well. Any recommendations would be helpful

I use StashMyComics.com, pretty easy to use, includes grades, pricing (of indeterminate origin), cover pictures, other data. I've got over 15,000 books entered, so you shouldn't have any trouble with your set.

I used other software a long time ago (it came on 5 1/4 inch floppies) to transfer my hand written catalog in the late 80s. That was fine while I wasn't involved in collecting actively. Then last year or so I was looking for a new way to build a new database-- not a huge collection but enough that organizing it was helpful.

Looked around at several locations and settled (and I say that as I found more interesting places later-- too late though, I was already there). The place is called CBR - Comic Book Realm, It is free but I went ahead and made a 40 dollar donation for lifetime membership. Probably not needed for your books unless you want to be able to download the information entered to a csv file or other data format.

I would advise you to scan a few of your books first (two or three) that are representative of your collection more or less. Put these scans on the Please Grade My Book forum here--- it will open your eyes as to how to properly grade a book. And the members here will explain why they gave a certain grade if you can't see how it got there. I say to do this first because when you enter your collection, it is helpful to grade them at teh same time and do a good job of it.

By no means is CBR the best or only option to you-- I have found it useful in tandem with this message forum. But entering your books--even if less than 200 - does take time and the better job you do of it the first time, the more useful the information to you. Even after doing this, I still occasionally regrade my books as I do other things like re-bagging my books.

hope that helps.

Whew,120+ books? You mean like cataloging 120 books? lol

Break out a note pad,and relax. :eyeroll:

yeah punk. 120 books. all key marvel issues. sorry i don't collect every single issue that i will regret buying in 10 years then have to dump them all on ebay for a fraction of what i paid. i enjoy my 120 books and i collect what i like not what is trending or what is high value or whatever. I would just like to view the covers once in a while in a orderly fashion online so i don't need to be digging in my box now and then. kind of like a pictured online catalog.

I am on CBR but not sure where to enter a personal collection

yeah punk. 120 books. all key marvel issues. sorry i don't collect every single issue that i will regret buying in 10 years then have to dump them all on ebay for a fraction of what i paid. i enjoy my 120 books and i collect what i like not what is trending or what is high value or whatever. I would just like to view the covers once in a while in a orderly fashion online so i don't need to be digging in my box now and then. kind of like a pictured online catalog.

Did you get them all in grab bags?

You are right! I am a punk. :taptaptap:

I know the cheap shiot I buy could never compare to your awesomeness,welcome to the boards.

Maybe you could scan us a few pics of your cool collection,I know I would love to see it. :applause:

I could never be awesome with all the keys you have,guess I'll have to live with my trendy self.

You schooled me...... :sorry:

Welcome to the boards, where your best intentions are turned into your worst nightmares.

Right! With only 120,figured it was easier to write it down in a journal.I have ten thousand+ books,and I still use a paper and pencil. Sheesh! :eyeroll:

if you registered there, the way to get your collection started as far as listing it out is a bit of a task at first.

Put a title in the search portion and find the correct title etc. The listing of the books come up for that title. You can click on the specific number and the cover picture will show along with whatever information has been entered for it.

The key part is to click the check box for the issue(s) you have of that title. Then in the drop down box to the upper right of the list, select "move to collection"

This will bring up another entry screen where you can edit grade, your original cost, and allow you to add notes. It will default to the Master List at first. When you go into to your Realm (My Realm on the menu list) it will show that master list-- this is where you can add additional lists if you want and that lets you sort stuff a bit if you want -- like DC, Marvel, horror, Dell -- etc.

hope that helps.

If it doesn't get you quite there --- there is a a forum that has a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section that probably covers everything you might be struggling with.

I just have a list on Word. No grades, just the issue numbers. If it's on the list, I'm happy with the grade, and I don't need another. I've just started fiddling with excel, though. I'll eventually have to grade some of these for insurance.

To all the guys on the board spouting "quality over quantity", and telling people to only buy keys because they'll maintain value... this is the kind of donkey you're encouraging. Thank you.

120 books is "digging"... :roflmao:

I did the Excel spreadsheet for a number of years but it got cumbersome when I was at about 10,000 books. It was still cumbersome at 6,000 after I dumped a bunch off.

But since I'm back close to 7k again, I'm using CLZ since it's got a mobile app, an OSX version & allows cloud synching. It's a lot easier to add/remove things.

Only thing that would make it better would be an easier way to change issue status from Wish List to On Order or Collection. That's a little tedious, but still better and less cumbersome than the Excel spreadsheet was.

you guys really make a guy feel good. just to let you know i started my key collecting before that bubble burst on all the movies. i was a big time inhumans and star-lord fan in the 70's and bought all those MP's he was in. when i meant "keys" i meant "keys" to me....like my cheap contest of champions collection and certain bronze age x-men although not "key" and too expensive i treasure because it meant a lot to me when i was a kid. so screw off thinking you know me....

easy for you guys to make wise comments behind the keyboard. hope to bump into you guys one day at a con if i ever get to one.

for the guys who gave some insight, thank you. 01thedude. and now i am out of this big bang theory forums....thought i'd give geekdom a chance.