• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online personal comic book collection database?

50 posts in this topic

How accurate are the valuations on CBR? Also how does that compare to ComicPriceGuide (which I hear from folks here that CPG should be avoided like the plague! Why? Enquiring minds want to know!) :)

I'm getting the sense that GPA is sort of the gold-standard for valuation since Overstreet is supposedly outdated a week after it hits the bookshelf. But what about other valuation sites? One of them (Nostomania) seems REALLY out of whack with a lot of their listings.

So how does CBR compare as far as its valuations if I use that for online cataloging/searching?

How accurate are the valuations on CBR? Also how does that compare to ComicPriceGuide (which I hear from folks here that CPG should be avoided like the plague! Why? Enquiring minds want to know!) :)

I'm getting the sense that GPA is sort of the gold-standard for valuation since Overstreet is supposedly outdated a week after it hits the bookshelf. But what about other valuation sites? One of them (Nostomania) seems REALLY out of whack with a lot of their listings.

So how does CBR compare as far as its valuations if I use that for online cataloging/searching?

my experience is that it is getting better. You can click on a specific book and it will tell you what the highest grade sold for and how long ago. I do not know how accurate that is. My general opinion regarding the values it has based on grade throughout the site is not very high though. They are trying but until they can tie it to something solid including all grades, I don't trust the valuations and usually discount them by as much as 50% and sometimes more. It is decent in giving you a sort of ballpark based on grade but I have doubts as to the accuracy. I don't have a subscription to GPA yet-- if I get one I will try to compare the two.

Like Overstreet-- it seems especially off when it comes to valuation of drek. Like an entire long run of books all getting a $3 value for NM and standard values under that grade etc. Those are pretty much useless if you know you couldn't sell those books if you tried. Some of the higher dollar and key books though seem to have the best information.

also-- I don't think there is a true mobile app built for CBR at this time. But you could use the internet application. It might be a pain unless you were on a tablet perhaps. I've never tried using it with my phone.

Like I said earlier-- there may be better apps/sites out there that meet everyone's needs. This is the one I entered my stuff into and am able to download (because I paid for a lifetime membership - $40) -- so if I do find a new and better place, I can probably format my data and do an import into the new site.

Why CPG should be "avoided like plague". I have been trying it for cataloguing and although the interface is not so immediate it does not look bad… hm

also-- I don't think there is a true mobile app built for CBR at this time. But you could use the internet application. It might be a pain unless you were on a tablet perhaps. I've never tried using it with my phone.

Like I said earlier-- there may be better apps/sites out there that meet everyone's needs. This is the one I entered my stuff into and am able to download (because I paid for a lifetime membership - $40) -- so if I do find a new and better place, I can probably format my data and do an import into the new site.

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying CBR, though like you said, it's a bit bare-bones (no way to upload scans) - pretty much like an online spreadsheet. I am curious about their (and everyone else's) method and especially accuracy of their graded valuations though.

I downloaded the free trial versions of ComicCollector and ComicBase - each one has their pluses and minuses.

I like the "look" of ComicCollector better and it seems to load quicker and seem more user-friendly. However ComicBase has a nifty grading feature that'll get you a ballpark estimate. In CB the valuations of the various grades of any particular comic are based on a fixed percentage of the NM value, though you can go in and change those percentages.

I notice that's also how ComicPriceGuide seems to base their graded values - a fixed percentage of the NM value (each lower grade is an X% decrease in value of the next higher grade) which is probably not accurate.

I might have to break open the piggy bank and get GPA - depending on how accurate THAT is, which I need to do more learning about.

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying CBR, though like you said, it's a bit bare-bones (no way to upload scans) - pretty much like an online spreadsheet. I am curious about their (and everyone else's) method and especially accuracy of their graded valuations though.

I downloaded the free trial versions of ComicCollector and ComicBase - each one has their pluses and minuses.

I like the "look" of ComicCollector better and it seems to load quicker and seem more user-friendly. However ComicBase has a nifty grading feature that'll get you a ballpark estimate. In CB the valuations of the various grades of any particular comic are based on a fixed percentage of the NM value, though you can go in and change those percentages.

I notice that's also how ComicPriceGuide seems to base their graded values - a fixed percentage of the NM value (each lower grade is an X% decrease in value of the next higher grade) which is probably not accurate.

I might have to break open the piggy bank and get GPA - depending on how accurate THAT is, which I need to do more learning about.

I still use Excel because I like the flexibility to add anything I want however I want. Obviously, it's not possible to have the scan in the file, but I'm fine just uploading the scans to photobucket (although Lord knows that site can be aggravating at times).

If you intend to buy and sell relatively high dollar books, I think GPA is indispensable. Used together with the Heritage archives, eBay closed listings, and the sites of the major dealers, it provides a good idea of market value.

Thanks for the info.

I still use Excel because I like the flexibility to add anything I want however I want. Obviously, it's not possible to have the scan in the file, but I'm fine just uploading the scans to photobucket (although Lord knows that site can be aggravating at times).

If you intend to buy and sell relatively high dollar books, I think GPA is indispensable. Used together with the Heritage archives, eBay closed listings, and the sites of the major dealers, it provides a good idea of market value.

I've been using Excel also, and it gives me all that I want EXCEPT current valuations.

Actually you CAN add a scan of the book into Excel - I do it using the 'comment' feature so that you just roll over the cell that contains the book's number (I have separate columns for title and issue number) and a comment window pops up with a picture of my scan of that book. And when you roll out of that cell, the image goes away. It works pretty nifty.

Assuming you already have a folder on your computer that has all your comic book covers/scans....

How To Make "Pop-Up" Images Of Your Comic Cover Images Appear In Excel Spreadsheets:

1. Click on the cell that you want to trigger your image to appear with.

2. Right-click > Insert Comment. {Comment box should appear}

3. Right-click on the border/edge off the comment box > Format Comment. {Format Comment box should appear}

4. Click on 'Colors and Lines' tab.

5. Click on 'Color' dropdown box arrow and then click on 'Fill Effects' at bottom of list. {Fill Effects box should appear}

6. Click on 'Picture' tab in Fill Effects box.

7. Click on 'Select Picture', then find the image of your book and click 'Insert Picture' AND check the 'Lock picture aspect ratio' checkbox. {Your picture now appears in the Fill Effects box}.

8. Click 'OK' to close Fill Effects box.

9. Click 'OK' to close Format Comment box.

10. At this point you will need to resize the comment box for how you'd like it to appear to your liking, and to ensure the entire picture is seen in the box by clicking on the border/edges and moving them to change the size of the box/image.

Voila! Roll over the cell and your picture appears. :)

To change the picture or size of the box, you'll need to Right-Click on the cell containing the comment and select 'Edit Comment' to get you into the comment box. You can now change the size of the box, change the picture (remember to click on the edge of the comment box to do that) or even add some text over your picture.

Assuming you already have a folder on your computer that has all your comic book covers/scans....

How To Make "Pop-Up" Images Of Your Comic Cover Images Appear In Excel Spreadsheets:

1. Click on the cell that you want to trigger your image to appear with.

2. Right-click > Insert Comment. {Comment box should appear}

3. Right-click on the border/edge off the comment box > Format Comment. {Format Comment box should appear}

4. Click on 'Colors and Lines' tab.

5. Click on 'Color' dropdown box arrow and then click on 'Fill Effects' at bottom of list. {Fill Effects box should appear}

6. Click on 'Picture' tab in Fill Effects box.

7. Click on 'Select Picture', then find the image of your book and click 'Insert Picture' AND check the 'Lock picture aspect ratio' checkbox. {Your picture now appears in the Fill Effects box}.

8. Click 'OK' to close Fill Effects box.

9. Click 'OK' to close Format Comment box.

10. At this point you will need to resize the comment box for how you'd like it to appear to your liking, and to ensure the entire picture is seen in the box by clicking on the border/edges and moving them to change the size of the box/image.

Voila! Roll over the cell and your picture appears. :)

To change the picture or size of the box, you'll need to Right-Click on the cell containing the comment and select 'Edit Comment' to get you into the comment box. You can now change the size of the box, change the picture (remember to click on the edge of the comment box to do that) or even add some text over your picture.

Great info. Thanks!

Great info. Thanks!

:cool:

This works good for modest-size collections or key issues which is what I use it for, probably too much work for someone to link images for thousands and thousands of covers for every book they own though.